• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#81 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

:D at Kenny....he is fail. Epic. An off season that started out so promising too. Lowball some more players and GMs. Hey Ken, a player can make more than Pav, ya know? Damn him and his "team" salary cap. Enjoy this roster!

Well...As others have rightfully pointed out...We're gonna see how some of the youngsters from GR perform while wearing their "big boy pants" in Detroit.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#82 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

As I said before, Semin seemed like a good candidate for another Holland reclamation project.

How on earth is it that he could be a reclamation project? Holland's reclamation projects are the likes of Cleary and Samuelsson: guys with talent whose careers have reached a nadir and who are effectively below the radar. Semin absolutely does not fit into this category.

#83 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

I cant wait to start the season with all of this cap space. a bunch of cap space has gotta count for something, right?

#84 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:44 PM

The very simple fact is that $7m was just given to a fellow who has scored in the mid-50s in the past two seasons, had four points in 14 games last postseason, and has a history of laziness and poor attitude.

#85 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

How on earth is it that he could be a reclamation project? Holland's reclamation projects are the likes of Cleary and Samuelsson: guys with talent whose careers have reached a nadir and who are effectively below the radar. Semin absolutely does not fit into this category.

Maybe Harold meant that a change of scenery, and an attitude adjustment by playing in Detroit alongside a fellow Russian with a great attitude, solid work ethic, and a plethora of talent would get the most outta Semin,,,Instead of a 60 to 70 pts guy - Semin becomes a 85 plus pts guy in the Motor City?

#86 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

Poor Pavel. He'll never have the sniper unless you count Franzen.

When it's all said and done I'll always wonder how much better he would have been with a Kovy or Semin type player on his wing.

I miss Hossa!

Posted Image

#87 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

I cant wait to start the season with all of this cap space. a bunch of cap space has gotta count for something, right?

"It's not about the money. It's about sending a message."

The very simple fact is that $7m was just given to a fellow who has scored in the mid-50s in the past two seasons, had four points in 14 games last postseason, and has a history of laziness and poor attitude.

The very simple fact is that our roster sucks.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#88 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

Seriously?1 year? Why did we show no interest in this guy? What af****** joke.

#89 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

Seriously?1 year? Why did we show no interest in this guy? What af****** joke.

That's the part that I can't comprehend at all either: it's only for a year, what does the seven million really matter? There's nothing else out there better the Red Wings can/will spend it on now. If it was three years, then it becomes more of a risk and I understand the apprehension.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#90 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

"It's not about the money. It's about sending a message."

The very simple fact is that our roster sucks.

What's $7 million for 1 season?

It's not like the Red Wings are a financially strapped franchise, nor are we up against the cap.

Carolina...Seriously?.....Maybe Semin likes good BBQ, NCAA basketball, and NASCAR?

#91 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

Maybe a free corn dog night? lol

#92 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

What's $7 million for 1 season?

It's not like the Red Wings are a financially strapped franchise, nor are we up against the cap.

Carolina...Seriously?.....Maybe Semin likes good BBQ, NCAA basketball, and NASCAR?

Just to be clear, I was quoting The Joker. Point being, I agree with you.

Holland's the best GM in the league, hands down. But, the way this summer's gone, you wouldn't know it.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#93 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

What I've learned this off season.A perfect fit that makes sense to Ken is an all-star player from a division rival that is almost impossible to get,or former veteran Wing who wants NTC on his contract :ninja:

#94 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:14 PM

Just to be clear, I was quoting The Joker. Point being, I agree with you.

Holland's the best GM in the league, hands down. But, the way this summer's gone, you wouldn't know it.

I know...I'm just venting a little ;)

#95 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

Other than the part about being effectively below the radar, how does Semin not fit that category?

He's a guy with a ton of talent who's career has basically reached it's low point, relatively speaking. He's being trashed in the media and has a questionable reputation in terms of his work ethic.

A one year deal gives him everything to prove. Either he busts his ass and earns a good contract next year, or he does more of the same, his star continues to fall and he either runs to the KHL or accepts an even smaller contract. If he joined the Wings for a year and turned it around, then they have the chance to sign him for more years.

It's not that unlike what Holland has done with Cleary, Bert and Sammy. It's just a star player version of it.

#96 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

Other than the part about being effectively below the radar, how does Semin not fit that category?

He's a guy with a ton of talent who's career has basically reached it's low point, relatively speaking. He's being trashed in the media and has a questionable reputation in terms of his work ethic.

Cleary, for example, was sought after by nobody and got a contract only after trying out for the team. Semin, by contrast, was sought after by numerous teams and got a $7m contract. If that qualifies as a nadir in one's career, then sign me up to play hockey.

#97 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:23 PM

He scored 2 points less than Mule, who was paid $5.25 million this year on an 11 year contract. Also Franzen has 4 points in his last 13 playoff games.

I'm sure Semin's reputation is what made it a one year deal, but it's not surprising he got that amount as a UFA.

He's also scored 79 and 84 points in his career, and potted 40 goals. When people are signing him for a year they're hoping to get more of that guy and less of the one from last season. With what's been going on with the Capitals, you have to think not all of it was Semin.

#98 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

We can't go into the season with this roster.

When you've got this much cap space, and the UFA pool is down to nothing for legit top 6 forwards, a ballsy move needs to take place.

Offer sheet Jamie Benn. Seriously, what do we have to lose? Who cares if its a d-bag move, its not like we ever trade with Dallas anyway. When you're in a situation like this, you should care less about stepping on people's toes and do whatever it takes to get your team to be able to compete for Lord Stanley.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#99 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

Cleary, for example, was sought after by nobody and got a contract only after trying out for the team. Semin, by contrast, was sought after by numerous teams and got a $7m contract. If that qualifies as a nadir in one's career, then sign me up to play hockey.

You're not even talking about the deal, you're seriously arguing my using the phrase reclamation project? Holy hell what won't you argue about?

When you consider his talent level and the stink he's got on him right now, Semin absolutely could've been a reclamation project in that Holland could've gotten him for not much. Overpayment in salary sure, but on a one year deal and they have the cap room. They wouldn't have give up a ton of players or lock him up for a decade. And it has the potential upside of him turning it around in Detroit and becoming part of the team going forward for years to come.

To me that fits the phrase reclamation project.

If you want to discuss the merits of signing Semin with me, great, but I'm not engage you in a semantics argument.

#100 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

I know...I'm just venting a little ;)

Let it all out if you need to. I'm hear for ya.

Don't Toews me, bro!