• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#21 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

My second favorite player ever. I was upset when he left, but don't hold it against him in the long run. His career did become somewhat irrelevant after he left, so it ended up a bad move for him more than the Wings.

I would retire his number if I was running the team, but based on their precedent I wouldn't (I sound like a judge). The guys they retired basically spent their entire career with the Wings. I mean they didn't even retire Red Kelly's number, likely for that reason. It's a strict policy, but that's how the Wings do it.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#22 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

BTW, Crymson, you say he could not lay claim to being an absolute cog in the team or be an organizations Heart and Soul....take Fedorov off the 90's teams...nowhere NEAR the success and they would not have won 97 and 98 Cups without him...barely even 2002.

The same could be said of Lidstrom, Yzerman, and Shanahan. But neither Shanahan nor Fedorov will see their numbers retired, and for good reason: they are a step below Yzerman and Lidstrom in terms of how valuable they were to the team. Yzerman's contributions are obvious; in addition to being an excellent player, he was an excellent leader and a class act. Lidstrom was likewise a class act, and he was the team's defensive cog for well over a decade. Both never complained, always put forth maximum effort, and spent their entire careers in Detroit. Shanahan and Fedorov were very important pieces, but they were not vital in the way that Yzerman and Lidstrom were.

\When Yzerman decided to play defense and win cups, he had to become more like Fedorov.

When Yzerman decided to concentrate more on defense to the detriment of offense, he did not need to become like Fedorov. He played with grit, determination and toughness that Fedorov never possessed. While Yzerman was putting his body and soul on the line every night, especially in the playoffs, Fedorov saw time holding out for a better contract and whining about being second fiddle.

I'll vote no just on how he left. He does deserve it, as everyone here who watched what he accomplished knows already, but I still would vote no because how he left was too big of a faux pas and the rafters are too exclusive for that.

Exactly: the rafters are simply too exclusive for Fedorov to be part of that club.

#23 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

Crymson, Fedorov won the Hart trophy. Selke twice. He played DEFENSE for the team for a while. His playoff numbers are enormous. You cant penalize Fedorov for not breaking down like Yzerman. The guy was a specimen, much the same way Lidstrom was. He never had to play on busted legs cause his training regimen kept him healthy, much like Datsyuk and Lidstrom. All arguments for heart, stats, accolades, and importance are bad ones for the against side. The whole career argument also is bad, considering Yzerman is the only one in the rafters currently with the whole career credibility. The only argument we are left with his malcontent. And i agree that this hurts Fedorov immensely. But get over it already, Detroit. He was one of three key guys (Lidstrom #1, Yzerman #2 or #3) that led the cup teams. He should go in the rafters and be remembered for his prowess.

#24 crispychris

crispychris

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

I could see not letting anyone ware the #91 kinda like a unofficial thing like #16 but hell no to the rafters. How he left was weak and cost him his chance at the rafters. I might be wrong but didn't he take less money to go to the ducks? Either way, all the off the ice stuff, how he left, no way he belongs in the rafters. His #'s and hardware are great but he just should not be up there.

#25 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

My second favorite player ever. I was upset when he left, but don't hold it against him in the long run. His career did become somewhat irrelevant after he left, so it ended up a bad move for him more than the Wings.

I would retire his number if I was running the team, but based on their precedent I wouldn't (I sound like a judge). The guys they retired basically spent their entire career with the Wings. I mean they didn't even retire Red Kelly's number, likely for that reason. It's a strict policy, but that's how the Wings do it.

Terry Sawchuk also played for Toronto, Boston, New York, and Los Angeles.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#26 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

Terry Sawchuk also played for Toronto, Boston, New York, and Los Angeles.

Yeah, but his entire prime was played in Detroit. Fedorov was technically still a star player when he went to Anaheim.

Besides, Sawchuk is one of the 5 best goalies of all time. This team wouldn't be crazy enough not to retire his number. Fedorov was great, but not one of the very best forwards in NHL history.

#27 Stinkyness

Stinkyness

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

Fedorov, regardless of anything. Was the friggin MAN!!!! He had issues, but we all do. I was in the military the first 5 years of his tenure in Detroit, so I missed alot of him and Lids, etc and so on from 90-96. He was an amazing player and helped Detroit to cups, not a cup, but CUPS.

Yeah, he should have his jersey up top. We hockey fans are a forgetful bunch....

I think they should have a special hall at the Joe called Defection Alley with the stories of....Klima, Feds, Vladdie....skullduggery for the furtherance of the pursuit of the CUP!

#28 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

GMR, youre wrong. Fedorov was the best player in the game for at least one year. Arguably many more. He was awesome. Best all around forward ive ever watched (lemieux the best offensive).

#29 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

NO

Theres a reason only 6 numbers hang in those rafters (soon to be 7). That is an exclusive club, too exclusive even for Feds. To have your number retired by the wings is like the highest honor...everything must be perfect to get that, and thats what makes it so honorable. if we gave that honor to Feds we would have to give it to a whole bunch of guys. I love 91 just as much as the next guy and it would seriously pain me to see anyone else where that number....but he does not deserve it. Spent wayyyyyy to many years not in Detroit

#30 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

Take is number out of circulation. I would be happy to see it officially retired, he was our best player for a lot of years, and a favorite of mine since he first started playing with the Wings, but, I can see why some people wouldn't want it up there.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#31 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

GMR, youre wrong. Fedorov was the best player in the game for at least one year. Arguably many more. He was awesome. Best all around forward ive ever watched (lemieux the best offensive).

You must have misread my post.

The discussion was about why Sawchuk was in the rafters, despite not playing his whole career in Detroit. I said Sawchuk was one of the 5 best goalies ever. Sure, Fedorov was one of the best forwards in his era, but he's not even one of the 20 best forwards in history.

#32 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

Feds, I'm pretty sure, was everyone's favorite player at some point. He was definitely a special player and future hall of famer. That's enough for him. Numbers in the rafters are for those that embody what it means to be a Red Wing, those that we want to use to define our franchise. Fedorov was fun to watch and was a key to our success but ultimately did not represent himself well nor did he spend enough years here.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#33 Wingzman91

Wingzman91

2nd Pair Defenseman

• Bronze Booster
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

I vote yes and I am biased.

#34 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

Fedorov WAS one of the best forwards in history. To say otherwise is ridiculous. Is he on par with Howe, Richard, Gretzky, and Lemieux? Probably not. But he's definitely on par with the Beliveau's, Hull's, and Esposito's. Put 91 up there and patch things up.

Fedorov WAS one of the best forwards in history. To say otherwise is ridiculous. Is he on par with Howe, Richard, Gretzky, and Lemieux? Probably not. But he's definitely on par with the Beliveau's, Hull's, and Esposito's. Put 91 up there and patch things up.

#35 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

Fedorov's 94 season might be the most impressive season by any player in history. I agree with Shaman, his number should be taken out of circulation, but probably not officially retired. He was my favorite player growing up, but with the way he left it's really hard to convince people to have a full out retired jersey for him, and I understand it. Which sucks, because if he just retired without playing another season after he left there would be no question about it, he's top 5 is franchise scoring, and top 3 in playoff scoring in franchise history.

#36 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

LOL.

He's not remotely in the same league as any of those players. To say otherwise is indeed ridiculous.

#37 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

Go to wikipedia and read about Fedorov. If Scotty Bowman, Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, and Steve Yzerman all say he was one of the best, thats good enough for me.

#38 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

If your talking both ends of the ice, Neither of those two players were even close to Federov............

#39 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

All this fricking debate about how he left for money...etc...let's revisit the situation.....December 2002, Holland offers Fedorov a 5 year $55M contract, Fedorov asks if they can wait until the end of the season because he is going through a divorce and in the process of hiring a new agent....fast forward to July 2003, Fedorov goes to Holland and wants the deal, Holland says the deal is off the table and now there is a 4 year deal for less money (I forgot the amount)...Fedorov wants the original deal....Holland says no deal, Anaheim offers Fedorov the same 4 year deal and off he went...He didn't leave for more money....he just wanted the offer he was offered in December... Fedorov #91, to the rafters!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#40 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Go to wikipedia and read about Fedorov. If Scotty Bowman, Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, and Steve Yzerman all say he was one of the best, thats good enough for me.

Wikipedia? I'm sure they meant he was one of the best of his time and a Hall of Famer.

However, I don't think any of them said his all time ranking should be as high as the guys you compared him too.