• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Your thoughts on Sergei Fedorov

Rate this topic

Terry Sawchuk also played for Toronto, Boston, New York, and Los Angeles.

Yeah, but his entire prime was played in Detroit. Fedorov was technically still a star player when he went to Anaheim.

Besides, Sawchuk is one of the 5 best goalies of all time. This team wouldn't be crazy enough not to retire his number. Fedorov was great, but not one of the very best forwards in NHL history.

Fedorov, regardless of anything. Was the friggin MAN!!!! He had issues, but we all do. I was in the military the first 5 years of his tenure in Detroit, so I missed alot of him and Lids, etc and so on from 90-96. He was an amazing player and helped Detroit to cups, not a cup, but CUPS.

Yeah, he should have his jersey up top. We hockey fans are a forgetful bunch....

I think they should have a special hall at the Joe called Defection Alley with the stories of....Klima, Feds, Vladdie....skullduggery for the furtherance of the pursuit of the CUP!

Guest The Axe

GMR, youre wrong. Fedorov was the best player in the game for at least one year. Arguably many more. He was awesome. Best all around forward ive ever watched (lemieux the best offensive).

NO

Theres a reason only 6 numbers hang in those rafters (soon to be 7). That is an exclusive club, too exclusive even for Feds. To have your number retired by the wings is like the highest honor...everything must be perfect to get that, and thats what makes it so honorable. if we gave that honor to Feds we would have to give it to a whole bunch of guys. I love 91 just as much as the next guy and it would seriously pain me to see anyone else where that number....but he does not deserve it. Spent wayyyyyy to many years not in Detroit

Take is number out of circulation. I would be happy to see it officially retired, he was our best player for a lot of years, and a favorite of mine since he first started playing with the Wings, but, I can see why some people wouldn't want it up there.

GMR, youre wrong. Fedorov was the best player in the game for at least one year. Arguably many more. He was awesome. Best all around forward ive ever watched (lemieux the best offensive).

You must have misread my post.

The discussion was about why Sawchuk was in the rafters, despite not playing his whole career in Detroit. I said Sawchuk was one of the 5 best goalies ever. Sure, Fedorov was one of the best forwards in his era, but he's not even one of the 20 best forwards in history.

Feds, I'm pretty sure, was everyone's favorite player at some point. He was definitely a special player and future hall of famer. That's enough for him. Numbers in the rafters are for those that embody what it means to be a Red Wing, those that we want to use to define our franchise. Fedorov was fun to watch and was a key to our success but ultimately did not represent himself well nor did he spend enough years here.

Guest The Axe

Fedorov WAS one of the best forwards in history. To say otherwise is ridiculous. Is he on par with Howe, Richard, Gretzky, and Lemieux? Probably not. But he's definitely on par with the Beliveau's, Hull's, and Esposito's. Put 91 up there and patch things up.

Fedorov WAS one of the best forwards in history. To say otherwise is ridiculous. Is he on par with Howe, Richard, Gretzky, and Lemieux? Probably not. But he's definitely on par with the Beliveau's, Hull's, and Esposito's. Put 91 up there and patch things up.

Fedorov's 94 season might be the most impressive season by any player in history. I agree with Shaman, his number should be taken out of circulation, but probably not officially retired. He was my favorite player growing up, but with the way he left it's really hard to convince people to have a full out retired jersey for him, and I understand it. Which sucks, because if he just retired without playing another season after he left there would be no question about it, he's top 5 is franchise scoring, and top 3 in playoff scoring in franchise history.

LOL.

He's not remotely in the same league as any of those players. To say otherwise is indeed ridiculous.

Guest The Axe

Go to wikipedia and read about Fedorov. If Scotty Bowman, Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, and Steve Yzerman all say he was one of the best, thats good enough for me.

If your talking both ends of the ice, Neither of those two players were even close to Federov............

All this fricking debate about how he left for money...etc...let's revisit the situation.....December 2002, Holland offers Fedorov a 5 year $55M contract, Fedorov asks if they can wait until the end of the season because he is going through a divorce and in the process of hiring a new agent....fast forward to July 2003, Fedorov goes to Holland and wants the deal, Holland says the deal is off the table and now there is a 4 year deal for less money (I forgot the amount)...Fedorov wants the original deal....Holland says no deal, Anaheim offers Fedorov the same 4 year deal and off he went...He didn't leave for more money....he just wanted the offer he was offered in December... Fedorov #91, to the rafters!

Go to wikipedia and read about Fedorov. If Scotty Bowman, Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, and Steve Yzerman all say he was one of the best, thats good enough for me.

Wikipedia? I'm sure they meant he was one of the best of his time and a Hall of Famer.

However, I don't think any of them said his all time ranking should be as high as the guys you compared him too.

Pull it out of circulation. No to putting it in the rafters. To much acrimony with the way he left and with the Carolina situation to get the ultimate honor. We are not the Blues, Devils, or Rangers that retire players that played with them just because they were great. We are the Detroit Red Wings.

Man, I did love to watch Sergie. Like someone else said, he had to be your favorite player at some point if you were a Wings fan. Guy was a friggin thoroughbred that brought you out of your seat when he stepped onto the ice. Pavs reminds me of him in that respect.

Guest Crymson

All this fricking debate about how he left for money...etc...let's revisit the situation.....December 2002, Holland offers Fedorov a 5 year $55M contract, Fedorov asks if they can wait until the end of the season because he is going through a divorce and in the process of hiring a new agent....fast forward to July 2003, Fedorov goes to Holland and wants the deal, Holland says the deal is off the table and now there is a 4 year deal for less money (I forgot the amount)...Fedorov wants the original deal....Holland says no deal, Anaheim offers Fedorov the same 4 year deal and off he went...He didn't leave for more money....he just wanted the offer he was offered in December... Fedorov #91, to the rafters!

Sigh, incorrect. Fedorov was never offered $55m. Not even close. As for what he eventually settled on: he was given $40m over five years by the Ducks, and chose that over an offer of $32m over four years from the Wings. That said, I haven't a clue why you think your story would make him look good, as you essentially said that he was ultimately given the same offer from the Wings and he was given by the Ducks but chose to go with the latter out of spite. That doesn't make him look like a standup guy.

I also see that you conveniently left out his holdout in the '97-'98 season.

Guest The Axe

Well, hes not on the hockey news best 100 of all time. Yzerman is #78. Tough argument we have here.

Fedorov is the reason I have become a Red Wings fan. I used to watch him play for CSKA in Moscow and followed him to Detroit.

Great hockey player. No need to say more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thats awesome! You got to witness a man get freedom in a harsh time, I only read about it after he was a Wing. I hope they make the movie someday.

You must have misread my post.

The discussion was about why Sawchuk was in the rafters, despite not playing his whole career in Detroit. I said Sawchuk was one of the 5 best goalies ever. Sure, Fedorov was one of the best forwards in his era, but he's not even one of the 20 best forwards in history.

When Sergei was in his prime, can you really say that? I've asked several people who they would rather have in their prime, Fedorov or Datsyuk. 90% of them said Fedorov.

Well, hes not on the hockey news best 100 of all time. Yzerman is #78. Tough argument we have here.

That's surprising. Fedorov was a phenomenal talent, comparable to Pavel Bure.

my avatar says which way im leaning however the way he left the organization left a sour taste in everyones mouths he was still MY alltime fav player I got into the wings when he and the russian five were big I miss the russian 5.

Guest The Axe

Yah, i thought so too. I would put him in my top 25 forwards of all time for sure. Yzerman too. Both of those guys were awesome for their own different reasons.