• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#61 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,239 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

When Sergei was in his prime, can you really say that? I've asked several people who they would rather have in their prime, Fedorov or Datsyuk. 90% of them said Fedorov.

I can say he was one of the best forwards of his era. But that doesn't make him top 25 all time in my book.

Don't know what Datsyuk has to do with that argument. I wouldn't rank him that high either. And yes, I'd take a prime Fedorov over a prime Datsyuk.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#62 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,709 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:02 AM

The Hall is for the Greatest Hockey Players.

The Rafters are for the Greatest Red Wings.

Not just the most talented, but also those who have bled Red.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#63 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

And THAT is why it doesn't being in the rafters. Well said.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#64 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

If thats the criteria then a name or two in the rafters right now shouldn't be there.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#65 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

People forget when they bring up Lindsey and others leaving the team what shape the team's ownership was in, as well as the state of the players union.
Feds left for his own reasons, I don't begrudge him that.

The Norris family had done some real damage to this team when these players left and their leaving was more about the team treating them like crap, then them wanting to go elsewhere.

Feds took way too many shifts/games off, and left for his reasons. Which I said I am fine with, but the rafters at the Joe, and wherever they end up, are for an exclusive club of Team first guys who embodied what it meant to be a wing.

Draper deserves his number retired more than Feds!

Feds was a phenomenal talent, all around beast, but the Wings only retire a very select few, the Perfect Human and THE Captain were the first retired in a long time and I think we may see another gap again.

Dats and Z are great, but they are not Lids and Stevie Y.

When you're that much better than everyone and you have an off game, you look lazy or complacent. We said the same things about Datsyuk the past couple seasons "He looks tired","he looks disinterested","he looks unDatsyuk like". Bowman and Stevie both stated he was their hardest worker night in and night out. I trust their opinions over fans opinions any day of the week.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#66 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

Would anyone honestly be upset if the Wings did retire it?

#67 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,239 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

I wouldn't.

But I think they should also retire Red Kelly and Norm Ullman's numbers. Two of the best players in Red Wings history.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 29 July 2012 - 12:29 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#68 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

Agreed. Especially on Red Kelly.

#69 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

Upset? No. Surprised? Yes. Think the Ilitch family would have to no longer own the team for that to happen? Yes.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#70 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

Whenever talk of sending a number to the rafters pops up, I like to rely on a very simple test to determine whether a number is worthy of being retired: is there even a debate as to whether the jersey is hung? If we're debating it, then the player didn't do enough to convince me he deserves to have his number retired. Yzerman was no debate, Lidstom is no debate. Fedorov (and Osgood for that matter, but that's another topic), there are arguments on both sides and for that matter alone I would not retire his number.

#71 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

This is the "cool kid" argument. Popularity contest. There are lots of debates about #s. Yzerman was one phone call away from being an Ottawa Senator. People forget about him being a malcontent before finally taking Bowman's advice and learning how to play defense. If its about what importance the player had to the team, Fedorov should be up there.

#72 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

The sad thing is I see Ozzies name being hung up before Fedorov's when Fedorov has been just as important for the re-birth of our successful franchise starting in the early 90's. Nothing against Ozzie I cause I think he's deserves his name up there too IMO. Fedorov's only downfall is indeed the way we left bu oh well. People still holding a grudge to that? I'm not surprised.

#73 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

The sad thing is I see Ozzies name being hung up before Fedorov's when Fedorov has been just as important for the re-birth of our successful franchise starting in the early 90's. Nothing against Ozzie I cause I think he's deserves his name up there too IMO. Fedorov's only downfall is indeed the way we left bu oh well. People still holding a grudge to that? I'm not surprised.

I don't think anyone who was around in the 90s has a grudge against him. Like someone else said though...If you have to debate about it...then he's not worthy. Yzerman and Lidstrom are no question, no debate, and that's why both will be up there.

#74 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

Lidstrom is a no-brainer. He was #1 important to the Wings. Fedorov wad #2, and Yzerman was #3.

#75 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

Lidstrom is a no-brainer. He was #1 important to the Wings. Fedorov wad #2, and Yzerman was #3.

Ah, so Yzerman, perhaps the best captain in Red Wings history and arguably the player most responsible for elevating the team out of the Dead Wings era, ranks behind Fedorov. No.

This is the "cool kid" argument. Popularity contest. There are lots of debates about #s. Yzerman was one phone call away from being an Ottawa Senator. People forget about him being a malcontent before finally taking Bowman's advice and learning how to play defense. If its about what importance the player had to the team, Fedorov should be up there.

Goodness. You have no idea what you're talking about. Yzerman was never a malcontent. His near trade to Ottawa had absolutely nothing to do with his attitude and playstyle, and everything to do with Brian Murray wanting another big Russian center.

#76 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

You can believe Yzerman was better than Fedorov. The Hart Trophy is given to the player deemed MOST VALUABLE TO HIS TEAM. It's the MVP trophy of the NHL. Fedorov won that trophy. Yzerman did not.

You can believe Yzerman was better than Fedorov. The Hart Trophy is given to the player deemed MOST VALUABLE TO HIS TEAM. It's the MVP trophy of the NHL. Fedorov won that trophy. Yzerman did not.

#77 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

Who has more career goals?

Who has more career points?

Who has more Career Assists?

Who had more 100 pt seasons?

Who had more 50 goal seasons?

How many players in NHL history have more goals than Yzerman? Feds?

How many players in NHL history have more assists than Yzerman? Feds?

How many players in NHL history have more points than Yzerman? Feds?

They both had 6 seasons being a minus player, 4 of Yzerman's were with the dead wings. (to be fair all of Feds were with Ana)

Feds had 2 unreal seasons (93-94, 95-96), then the rest of his career was very good. 2 Seasons does not make him a better player than Yzerman.

We are not discussing talent, not who is more talented Yzerman or Feds.

Edit: Yzerman is a top 10 forward statistically in the history of the NHL, Feds is not.

Edited by Opie, 29 July 2012 - 06:21 PM.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#78 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

Edit: Yzerman is a top 10 forward statistically in the history of the NHL, Feds is not.

He was also a superlative captain, blessed with leadership ability that Fedorov did not even have a shadow of.

#79 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

Who has more career goals?

Who has more career points?

Who has more Career Assists?

Who had more 100 pt seasons?

Who had more 50 goal seasons?

How many players in NHL history have more goals than Yzerman? Feds?

How many players in NHL history have more assists than Yzerman? Feds?

How many players in NHL history have more points than Yzerman? Feds?

They both had 6 seasons being a minus player, 4 of Yzerman's were with the dead wings. (to be fair all of Feds were with Ana)

Feds had 2 unreal seasons (93-94, 95-96), then the rest of his career was very good. 2 Seasons does not make him a better player than Yzerman.

We are not discussing talent, not who is more talented Yzerman or Feds.

Its hard to compare someone who played in the 80s to someone who played in the 90s, just saying.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#80 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

If Fedorov had played in the NHL during the 80's, he'd have 2000 pts. Yzerman's stats are just the product of playing in a crappy defense time period. Are you going to tell me Bernie Nichols is better than Fedorov?