• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#141 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

Yzerman and Lidstrom, yes. Even Lidstrom probably not for a while. Feds, Shanny, Z, and D, no.

That's how hard it is to get in the rafters in my opinion. It's kind of surprising to me people are throwing around so many different names.

I think it's a total crime that Stu Grimson's number 32 isn't hanging in the rafters.

It's not like many people have worn that number since he left. May as well make it official.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 01 August 2012 - 09:04 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#142 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

BTW, it

I think it's a total crime that Stu Grimson's number 32 isn't hanging in the rafters.

It's not like many people have worn that number since he left. May as well make it official.

What would Tim Cheveldae say? Didn't he wear 32 as well? ;). Like 24 for Probie, I was kind of surprised Chelios wore it. Didn't Salei wear it as well?
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#143 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

What would Tim Cheveldae say? Didn't he wear 32 as well? ;). Like 24 for Probie, I was kind of surprised Chelios wore it. Didn't Salei wear it as well?

Cheveldae wore it before Grimson, not after.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 01 August 2012 - 09:03 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#144 datterberg1340

datterberg1340

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:11 PM

Fedorov was my favorite player when I first started watching hockey in '96, and he will always be remembered fondly overall for all that he did for the organization and fans, but I still would have to say no to having his jersey up in the rafters; he would have needed a better work ethic and have been less of a prima donna, plus, as others have already pointed out, the manner in which he left in '03 will be a source of animosity for many

shame it ended the way it did, he was never the same player after that, and no matter how many times I saw him play on other teams, he always looked so out of place in other teams' jerseys, I don't know it just always looked strange to me to see him not wearing the winged wheel

I mean could you have imagined Yzerman wearing a Ducks jersey? or Lidstrom in a Flyers sweater? or even Shanahan in a Rang... oh wait, nevermind

#145 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

Cheveldae wore it before Grimson, not after.

I knew he wore it before :). Early 90's it was Cheveldae, every day as I recall.

#146 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,824 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

Sergei Fedorov and Jaromir Jagr were the best 2 all around forwards of the 90's, regular season and especially playoffs. The numbers are there. As soon as the Detroit brass and Fedorov make up, they can put his number in the rafters where it belongs.

Just like Montreal and Patrick Roy.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#147 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

Just like Patty Roy and the Habs.

#148 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,824 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

Don't forget Steve Thomas in 2003-04.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#149 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,824 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

Well apparently, Sergei is playing in the Alumni Game. S**t just got real.

#150 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,097 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:16 PM

He's hawt.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#151 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:22 AM

I bet Feds is going to dominate the alumni game.

#152 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

I bet Feds is going to dominate the alumni game.

Maybe then he'll finally get his wish to be the star in Detroit... haha, I'm kidding. I hope we give the Russians their due respect.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#153 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

Fedorov was a great player, and during his time with the Wings arguably the most skilled player in the world, and certainly the most skilled on the team. But with that said, no way does his number get retired. That's pretty illustrious company up there, and though they were all different types of players, and all with varying degrees of individual and team success, the one thing they all had in common was their commitment to the Detroit Red Wings above all else. You simply can't say that about Fedorov.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#154 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

Fedorov was a great player, and during his time with the Wings arguably the most skilled player in the world, and certainly the most skilled on the team. But with that said, no way does his number get retired. That's pretty illustrious company up there, and though they were all different types of players, and all with varying degrees of individual and team success, the one thing they all had in common was their commitment to the Detroit Red Wings above all else. You simply can't say that about Fedorov.

How would you define team commitment? I am only asking because Gordie Howe, Ted Lindsay, and others who are in the rafters all played for other teams in their careers.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#155 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

Probie talked about it in his book....said he and Cheli were real tight and before Cheli left for Detroit he told Probie dont be suprised if you see me in 24 next season. Probie replied and im paraphrasing, i rather have him wear it than some European

#156 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

Probie talked about it in his book....said he and Cheli were real tight and before Cheli left for Detroit he told Probie dont be suprised if you see me in 24 next season. Probie replied and im paraphrasing, i rather have him wear it than some European

I vaguely remember that, now that you mention it. I'll have to pull out my copy of Tough Guy and reread it.

#157 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

No way! Fedorov was great, but he is no Yzerman or Lidstrom. Retired jersey's are for legends not greats. If Detroit retired jersey's for every great player to suit up, there would be none left eventually.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#158 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

Sawchuk was the best netminder of his time, Ted was not only a great player who was part of one of the most productive lines in hockey, but was also a pioneer for player rights and put his own neck on the line by standing up for player rights, was huge in the forming of the NHLPA.

Every argument against Fedorov being in the rafters is contradicted by the guys you referenced already up there.

(1) He needs to "bleed red and white"

The Wings won the '55 Cup and then Terry Sawchuk left to play in Boston for two years in the prime of his career. Yes, he was predominantly a Red Wing, but he spent almost a decade until his death playing for Toronto, LA, and the Rangers. Sergei Fedorov was more of a "career" Red Wing than Sawchuk, hands down.

(2) Guys like Lindsay were important for other reasons - like pioneering for players' rights and forming the NHLPA

What about Fedorov (along with Fetisov, Bure and Mogilny, in my opinion, to a lesser degree) defecting from Russia as a teenager and breaking the Iron Curtain? You don't think Fedorov was an important pioneer for the globalization of the game and the acceptance of players from the former Soviet Bloc?

(3) Number Retirements are only for guys who unequivocally belong up there with no debate

Really? I think this is an overreaction to the last two guys who are going up there (#19 and #5). Not even getting into the whole Larry Aurie debate (and why the Illitchs should never "un-retire" a number), what about Terry Sawchuk. His number was retired in 1994. He died in 1970. You're telling me there was never any debate about whether he belonged up there? Then why didn't they bring his family out in 1971 or 1972 and do it then?

Maybe views changed. Maybe time was needed to recognized the significance of Sawchuk's accomplishments and downplay the fact that most of his final years were spent playing for other NHL teams. Maybe four decades of Dead Wings hockey with no Stanley Cups put into perspective how difficult it really is to win that trophy.

I think that views will change and evolve on Fedorov as well. Once the pissy matches and bitter feelings subside, it will be a disgrace that his number isn't up there, despite the fact that we probably don't win 3 Cups, or maybe even 1 Cup without him. We'll never know that, of course. But in the meantime, go ahead and tell yourself that this honor means nothing to Fedorov because he's a lazy Russian. I wonder if it means something to Datsyuk and every other Russian player that has and will wear the Winged Wheel...to know that their accomplishments don't come with a 10% deduction off what they would have been if they were North American or Swedish. It doesn't feel right to me not to honor what I saw with my own eyes for over a decade, but I suppose other reasonable fans might have seen something different than I did.

#159 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

The litmus test is this: is there a litmus test? Then the answer is no. It's the same argument about Ozzie going into the HHOF. Does he have the numbers? More or less. Is he a HHOF goaltender? You have to work really hard to make a case that maybe he should get in.

If you have to make a case for it, then the answer is no. Should Gretzky be in the HHOF? Without a doubt, and I don't think you'd find anyone that says different. Should Yzerman and Lidstrom have their jerseys retired? Again, find anyone that disagrees. Now this thread illustrates perfectly that Feds is not on that same level of an automatic "Yes"

EDIT: Format

Edited by drwscc, 07 August 2012 - 04:33 PM.

Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#160 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,591 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

The litmus test is this: is there a litmus test? Then the answer is no. It's the same argument about Ozzie going into the HHOF. Does he have the numbers? More or less. Is he a HHOF goaltender? You have to work really hard to make a case that maybe he should get in.

If you have to make a case for it, then the answer is no. Should Gretzky be in the HHOF? Without a doubt, and I don't think you'd find anyone that says different. Should Yzerman and Lidstrom have their jerseys retired? Again, find anyone that disagrees. Now this thread illustrates perfectly that Feds is not on that same level of an automatic "Yes"

EDIT: Format

wow well said my friend well said. This right here all day long.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY