• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
achildr1

March 26th, 1997...The Movie?

Rate this topic

I decided to pop in the 1997 Championship video and got to thinking...

A movie about March 26th, 1997 (preferably marketed under that title) would not only rock for Wings fans, I think it could be the next great hockey movie if made with the same fervor as "Miracle". I don't believe i've ever seen a more entertaining hockey game in my life. Personally, I preferred the pre-lockout brand of NHL hockey. The battles, physical play, and refs who kept the whistles in their pockets made it much more convincing that only the best team won the game. Obviously, most of you probably know the intimate details of what preceded the game to make it what it was, so ill spare that. My rough draft includes...

Important...Avalanche are the antagonist, duh. It would be great to have it be just an unbiased advertisement for that rivalry and time in hockey history but the Avs have too many bad guys to make that work.

Opening Credits: A quiet video montage with intermittant quotes... Wings disappointments of the preceding few years, Lindros trade and the move of the Nordiques to Colorado, Wings 62 win season, Colorado getting Roy, etc...leading into the 96 WCF.

Opening Scene Movie opens with the intermission and minutes of the period preceding the Claude Lemieux hit in the 1996 Western Conference Finals. During this scene we get glimpses of main characters in the movie (Bowman, Yzerman, McCarty, Maltby, Draper, Vernon, Larionov... Sakic, Forsberg, Foote, Roy, Lemieux, Ricci, Crawford) and a feel for the air in each teams locker room.

Scene 2, The Shanahan Difference: Beginning of season. Talk between higher ups of the Wings about the Shanahan deal, why it was needed. Shows his arrival and Detroit locker room atmosphere.

Scene 3: Avs raise banner, explores lockerroom atmosphere, get to know players/attitudes (especially towards Detroit. Empahasis on Roy, Lemieux, Crawford.

Scene 4: One of the early season meetings of the teams with emphasis on the wings locker room struggles/coming together/animosity towards Colorado

Scene 5: Midseason highlights slideshow with commentator clips.

Scene 6: Week leading up to the 26th...anticipation from both teams, arrogance, jokes, etc. (all preceding scenes are less than 1/2 of movie time)

Gametime: More than enough opportunity to make a great flick here.

Actors (this is I think what got me started with this idea)...

Scotty Bowman - Jason Alexander (Sounds insane, but he could look almost exactly like him and if he pulled it off would be one of the more impressive acting roles he could ever accomplish)

Claude Lemieux - Jason Isaacs

Mike Vernon - Emilio Estevez

Mike Ricci - Himself (previosly played Elmer Lach in The Rocket)

Mathieu Dandenault - Himself (also played in The Rocket)

Marc Crawford - Himself (i bet he'd be a good actor)

Adam Foote - Owen Wilson (i know, right? Wierd? It’s in the nose...would also be a big role for him if he pulled of the attitude right because its not his normal role)

Joe Sakic - Harry Conick Jr. (I know, i know...google it tho). Probably not though, no idea for him.

Peter Forsberg - If you know anyone else that looks like the offspring of a vampire and lion, let me know.

Konstantinov - ?? (btw, Vlad was one of the oldest looking 27 year olds ever)

Darren McCarty - Critical role and I am clueless

Igor Larionov - Himself (a little hair color and he's 36 again...dude's to cool for anyone else to play him anyway)

Brendan Shanahan - huge role, big voice in the movie, humor focal point along with Darren (ideally some young, funny, up and comer...no idea tho)

Barry Smith - Paul Gleason

Dave Lewis - Whoever normally plays Hitler in movies

Real interested in who LGW can come up with!

Chuck Norris can play Darren McCarty.

Naw that's definitely Draper all the way.

For Mac I'd rather someone like maybe Bruce Willis or Clint Eastwood.

And Yzerman I think would have to be someone like Harrison Ford or Charlton Heston.

Lidstrom... Liam Neeson?

And Konstantinov... Dolph Lundgren (too easy, I know).

Peter Forsberg - Steve Buschemi

Adam Foote - Nicholas Cage

Mike Keane - David Spade

Who else from the Avs is really annoying and deserves a really annoying actor?

Naw that's definitely Draper all the way.

For Mac I'd rather someone like maybe Bruce Willis or Clint Eastwood.

And Yzerman I think would have to be someone like Harrison Ford or Charlton Heston.

Lidstrom... Liam Neeson?

And Konstantinov... Dolph Lundgren (too easy, I know).

Peter Forsberg - Steve Buschemi

Adam Foote - Nicholas Cage

Mike Keane - David Spade

Who else from the Avs is really annoying and deserves a really annoying actor?

Adam Deadmarsh.

Claude Lemieux - The mafia mom from Goonies

Peter Forsberg - Robert Pattinson

Joe Sakic - Adrien Brody

Mark Crawford - Conan O'Brien

Brendan Shanahan - Vince Vaughn

Matthieu Dandenault - Adam Sandler

Kris Draper - Michael C Hall

Slava Fetisov - Mickey Rourke (he made a convincing russian in Iron Man 2 :lol:)

Nick Lidstrom - Chris Hemsworth

Darren McCarty - Ian McShane

Yzerman as himself just because no one can fill those skates even in a film.

Edited by BlazeYoungblood

In all seriousness, a film about McCarty's career, done well, would be a really fine biopic.

In a film about the Avs rivalry from....let's say 96-97, culminating with the Wings beating Philly would be amazing, especially if it focused mainly on Yzerman, McCarty and Bowman. From a storytelling point of view, you have Yzerman the every-man, McCarty the emotional driving force of the movie, and Bowman being the calculating boss who winds up getting involved himself in some of the unsavory bits.

George Clooney as Me watching the game on TV @ home. They obviously would have a quick cut to an average fan's living room when McCarty scores in overtime, right? As I leap up from making out with my girlfriend--played by Anne Hathaway-- to celebrate and spill my huge bowl of popcorn sitting on my lap.

What about the Bieber playing Claude? Who cares what the actor looks like, the end result of him getting pummeled is what matters.

In Sarah Jessica Parker's case, she already has a pummeled face. And yes that rhymes. And yes I know jokes about her face are old and unjustified. Ah well. It's still hilarious whenever I make them in front of my sisters.

I love Depp as Yzerman.

(Not sarcasm.)

Not the worst option in the world. I just don't see it. I really think I'd like Harrison Ford as Stevie. Just a theory though.