• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
datterberg1340

Our Current Defense / What Holland Can Do *merged

Rate this topic

Ok, so, lets sign Arnott and Kubina (and of course Abby) and hit the road running... We'd have to lose three of Emmerton/Mursak/Miller/Eaves/Cleary though... but I do believe Arnott brings more to this team than Emmerton or Mursak...unfortunately for them. Of course I think I heard Nyquist has options left to be sent down, so that is always a possibilty to start the season to see who steps it up...

Trading Mursak/Emmerton would bring a couple of draft picks and if they to dump one more of Miller/Eaves or Cleary that would also bring a fairly nice draft pick, if Nyquist just tears up training camp and GR...

FORWARDS

Damien Brunner ($1.350m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m)

Justin Abdelkader ($1.250m) / Jason Arnott ($3.750m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Pavel Kubina ($4.550m)

Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

------

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,733,712; BONUSES: $425,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,466,288

1.don't waste time on all those "rival" teams players :paperbag3:

2.explore the eastern conference market,try to trade for bogosian/subban/hamonic...

3.sign 1 of the UFA's d-men left

4.pray smith,kindl,ericsson,quincey are gonna have a great season

Edited by pucktividi

If I am Holland, I have to be looking over to my buddy Darcy Regier.... They currently have 9 defensemen under contract and only 1 with a 2 way contract (Brennan). Regehr and Leopold both have 1 year left on their contracts (4.02 and 3 million respectively). Both are 32 and are decent in size, with Regehr being bigger and I believe more defensively sound (Brad Stuart type). So you throw a package together to get one of those two guys, and throw a bid at Colaiacovo. In this scenario you sign Colaiacovo first, to get the insurance, and have Kindl traded (either in the package for Regehr/Leopold or for offensive help/picks). I figure we'll lose Emmerton or Mursak and a mid pick for Regehr/Leopold.

So here's what you're looking at:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Damien Brunner ($1.350m)

Danny Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.350m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Drew Miller ($0.838m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Robyn Regehr ($4.020m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Carlo Colaiacovo ($1.500m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,045,379; BONUSES: $462,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $8,154,621

You'd think Pheonix would be more interested in Franzen than Flippula...

Franzen+Kindl+Mursak for Yandle

The problem with Franzen, for Phoenix, is the length of his contract. They are unsure what is going to happen with the team financially, long term. Better to get a guy like Filppula who has tremendous upside and is only signed for one season, just in case they go under or something.

I'm only ever half-serious about us getting Girardi. But I do think he could be had. (I think any player can be had, given the right offer.) Kronwall-Girardi. How sweet would that be?

I like Regehr a lot. He's got a good head on his shoulders, good work ethic, dependable guy. As mentioned, big and physical. And he's Brazilian (or, at least, born there. Call it what you will.) I like Brazilians. My girlfriend's Brazilian. Blanka is Brazilian!!

I've mentioned Arnott's name a few times. Playing on the third or fourth line, he'd give us some much needed depth at center and size in the bottom-6 (guy is BIG). He was good for 17 goals in 72 games played last season. Not too bad for an over-the-hill 37-year-old. He's no Shane Doan, though.

Edited by Dabura

I would love Arnott here, but that only makes sense if we move a few forwards for a d-man...

Also putting Arnott in the 3rd line center position will stunt Helm's growth and development. Helm should be our #2 center, unless he can play the wings fine. We just have too many forwards as it is right now.

Datsyuk

Zetterberg

Franzen

Filppula

Samuelsson

Cleary

Bertuzzi

Helm

Abdelkader

Tootoo

Eaves

Miller

There are 12 NHL ready fowards and then:

Nyquist

Brunner

Mursak

Emmerton

I would like to see Nyquist and Brunner work out and play all season in the top 6. This means you need to lose All but two of Eaves, Miller, Mursak and Emmerton. Then you add in Arnott, so you need to lose another one. So the question is, who do you hold onto? And who gets sacrificed for Arnott? Essentially, for Arnott to be in, we either need to trade a main player away or send Brunner or Nyquist down. I'm not quite sure it's worth that (unless one of the two kids don't work out).

My opinion that has some decent risk with the potential for very high reward is to submit an offer sheet to Kulikov. Consistent and steady in all three zones with a high driven passing game and great work ethic. He's played in all situations and at the right price could be one of the best options in the league. I don't see a guy like Tallon, however letting him get away. My guess is the offer would have to be roughly 4mil, which sends a 1st rounder to Florida. I don't see any reason not to pursue for all the upside this kid brings.

I'm only ever half-serious about us getting Girardi. But I do think he could be had. (I think any player can be had, given the right offer.) Kronwall-Girardi. How sweet would that be?

I like Regehr a lot. He's got a good head on his shoulders, good work ethic, dependable guy. As mentioned, big and physical. And he's Brazilian (or, at least, born there. Call it what you will.) I like Brazilians. My girlfriend's Brazilian. Blanka is Brazilian!!

I've mentioned Arnott's name a few times. Playing on the third or fourth line, he'd give us some much needed depth at center and size in the bottom-6 (guy is BIG). He was good for 17 goals in 72 games played last season. Not too bad for an over-the-hill 37-year-old. He's no Shane Doan, though.

He's definitely not Doan, but he plays a similar style and he'd be MUCH cheaper. Plus, I'd love to see an old goat line with Arnott, Bertuzzi, and Sammy. They'd be slower than hell but hard to take the puck from once they gained the zone. Imagine a cycle with those three down low, they'd wear on defenses with that size.

The Rangers wouldn't trade Girardi to Columbus for RICK NASH, what makes you think they'd trade him for any of the Wings' players? And if they did, I'd have to believe they'd be looking for Kronwall in the return package.

Guest Johnz96

If we could get him on a one year contract, would anybody be opposed to signing Jason Arnott as a cheaper, but roughly similar player to Shane Doan?

They're not similar at all. Doan is a very physical player, Arnott isn't physical at all

Guest Johnz96

My opinion that has some decent risk with the potential for very high reward is to submit an offer sheet to Kulikov. Consistent and steady in all three zones with a high driven passing game and great work ethic. He's played in all situations and at the right price could be one of the best options in the league. I don't see a guy like Tallon, however letting him get away. My guess is the offer would have to be roughly 4mil, which sends a 1st rounder to Florida. I don't see any reason not to pursue for all the upside this kid brings.

I like Kulikov too, he is very physical too but Florida would match to retain him

Guest Crymson

What offer do you think could land him?

Regehr is nothing special at this stage of his career, as the average Sabres fan could tell you. If he had green skin, incredible agility and the ability to generate electricity, I would be all for getting him. Unfortunately, he hasn't got any of these.

The Wings do not need another bottom-six player at all, let alone one of that age.

You'd think Pheonix would be more interested in Franzen than Flippula...

Franzen+Kindl+Mursak for Yandle

Phoenix is very unlikely to trade Yandle unless there's another good d-man coming back. They're not exactly deep where offense from the blueline is concerned.

Guest Kronstantinov

I think it is good for the Wings to have Smith and Kindl have an opportunity to show what they can do. I think Smith should be a good top 4 d-man right away quickly progressing to a good top pair guy. He looked great in the games he played with us, remakably composed for someone playing his first few NHL games

I think Kindl can be a solid 6th d-man, he has some size and reach, he is a good skater and has good puck skills. He is not regarded as physical but he did record 61 hits in 55 games. 12 assists in 55 games with limited ice-time and PP time is pretty impressive for a defenseman.

I think he has been very tentative because he is afraid of making mistakes and being shelved but you learn from making mistakes and I think it is a good thing that he may finally have the opportunity to do so

- "Regehr's nothing special. Something something average Sabres fan will tell you something something." Fair enough, though I feel (perhaps mistakenly) like you use this reasoning a lot, and it generally means "I don't really know a lot about this guy and I can't say I've seen a lot of him, but I scoped out a Sabres board and man was the hate fierce." Going by that logic, we could say [insert Wings player you vehemently defend here on LGW] is nothing special. And there's always the change of scenery / reclamation project angle. Bottom line, though: he'd be playing on the second or third pairing, and I think he'd do just fine in that capacity. He'd be a steady, physical, veteran presence on our blue line. At worst, he'd be the odd man out @ #7. Would he be a downgrade from Kindl? I like Kindl, but I'm inclined to say no.

- Arnott - there's an implicit assumption in my green light for Arnott, namely that we'll be moving some forwards this summer. ~2 from the bottom-6, maybe one or possibly even two from the top-6. Also, I don't like Abdelkader at center.

(To Be Continued...)

Edited by Dabura

nothing is going to happen until the CBA details come out. then holland will dig through the bin to offer the best one left a small contract, and invite a handful of D-men to camp for tryouts.

during this he "might" call a few eastern teams to see if their overflow works with us without a player trade beyond kindl/emmerton/mursak and low picks.

we WILL have another mid-level d-man in the lineup on day one...but our offense is set. (after a few subtractions)

book it.

and we will all scream and ***** about " coulda,shoulda,woulda" until they get bounced, or win the cup.

its a business that the last 20 years have built up a lot of jealousy, and the league is seeing a chance to avoid helping us at all costs.

no trade is going to bring us a top 20 defenseman this year.

i am all for an offer sheet to evander kane, and matt gilroy on D. if the wings are going to try to stay "on top" they need to get bold & young.

the next few years are going to be a lull in success until our prospects start popping up, or we get aggresive in contracts.

Why would we get Girardi? We already have a younger, bigger, and faster version in Quincey.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. If not....

We need a #1 or #2. Girardi is a high-end player, one of the better defensemen in the league; he'd be a #1 or #2 on our blue line. Quincey is, or should be, our #4. He's only a year younger than Girardi. He's the same height as Girardi, give or take an inch. Girardi has a few pounds on him. Do yr homework, slacker.

(TBC...)

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. If not....

We need a #1 or #2. Girardi is a high-end player, one of the better defensemen in the league; he'd be a #1 or #2 on our blue line. Quincey is, or should be, our #4. He's only a year younger than Girardi. He's the same height as Girardi, give or take an inch. Girardi has a few pounds on him. Do yr homework, slacker.

(TBC...)

But Quincey has a better career PPG in the NHL

(sarcasm)

Though Arnott is big, he's not a physical player. Doesn't take much to get him off his spot. Major injury liability as well. No way I sacrifice playing time of some of your young guys for him.

Seems to me, Coliacovo would be a decent fit for the wings if you could get him on a one year deal. He can eat some minutes and hold his own fairly well. A pretty good stop gap for one year until more opens up next offseason. JMO

nothing is going to happen until the CBA details come out. then holland will dig through the bin to offer the best one left a small contract, and invite a handful of D-men to camp for tryouts.

during this he "might" call a few eastern teams to see if their overflow works with us without a player trade beyond kindl/emmerton/mursak and low picks.

we WILL have another mid-level d-man in the lineup on day one...but our offense is set. (after a few subtractions)

i am all for an offer sheet to evander kane, and matt gilroy on D. if the wings are going to try to stay "on top" they need to get bold & young.

the next few years are going to be a lull in success until our prospects start popping up, or we get aggresive in contracts.

Yeah, unless we somehow land Doan, I doubt anything happens until TC/preseason, other than maybe adding one of the vets like Hannan, Kubina, or Rozsival. Probably want to get a better idea of what Brunner and Nyquist can do before we do any more tinkering with the forwards.

Don't know much about Gilroy. The Hockey News makes him sound a little Lebda-ish, but I've also heard he has some potential. I think we really need another PKer on defense, so he doesn't sound like a good fit.

not much he can do to make me interested in this season. trading for yandle or another young top dman is the only thing that will make me interested.

Im not sure if it was losing lids and stu or not getting a decent replacement or both but im not excited about this season at all. the only thing im somewhat excited about is smith. maybe brunner