• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
datterberg1340

Our Current Defense / What Holland Can Do *merged

Rate this topic

Guest Johnz96

Even though Cola has had more than his fair share of injuries - he's a reliable Dman that could be a #4 guy for us...Might be a smart move to sign him, and why not take a chance on Cam Barker?

The longer they remain unsigned the more affordable they will be

I've been mulling over possible packages that might pry Girardi from the Rangers. It's do-able, and that was my main point (i.e. "Nothing we could offer could fetch him" isn't true). We'd just have to give up a whole lot. Franzen, Smith and a 1st would probably be the foundation. Do I really, truly, seriously, realistically, objectively, sanely believe that that, + maybe 1-2 other pieces going NY's way (hence "foundation"), would be worth it? Well, Girardi is Damn Good, and exactly the kind of piece we need on the back end, IMHO. The question/sticking point, though, is (I think) Smith. If he lives up to expectations, he may be just as good as Girardi soon. And Franzen is our go-to guy in the goal-scoring department (wack though that is).

We're almost certainly not getting Girardi. I've never said otherwise. But I don't think it's totally out of the realm of possibility.

A man can dream. Right? :confused:

Edited by Dabura

At this point, I say offer Colaiacovo exactly what we gave White last year and see if he'll accept it. If he does, go hard after Yandle and be able to dangle a defenceman in the package as well because we'd have a bit more depth to be flexible in trades. 16 forwards, 7 defenceman, 3 goalies and a full years worth of picks. Gotta be able to get something done with that kind of leverage.

Guest Crymson

At this point, I say offer Colaiacovo exactly what we gave White last year and see if he'll accept it. If he does, go hard after Yandle and be able to dangle a defenceman in the package as well because we'd have a bit more depth to be flexible in trades. 16 forwards, 7 defenceman, 3 goalies and a full years worth of picks. Gotta be able to get something done with that kind of leverage.

Smith will be going the other way in any trade for Yandle.

At this point I wouldn't be against signing a vet 7th and letting Kindl develop. He has shown some flashes but has also seemed afraid to make mistakes at times. If he has the time to develop this year I think he could surprise a lot of people. He is more than a 7th dman.

I have to believe Holland is waiting for the CBA to be renewed before he takes a stab at a defender (trade or UFA.) He only has 6 right now, he needs one more for sure to complete his NHL roster. With Nyquist, Brunner and Smith getting full time jobs, along with Kindl having a top 6 spot (thus far,) I find it hard to believe that Holland will bring up yet another rookie to fill his NHL roster... He has to eyeing a few 2nd tier defenders aw well as still looking at Yandle. I just think he is going to see if teams will be looking to have to dump some salaries after the CBA...

Yandle will cost us Smith, Nyquist, and picks. Agreed.

No it won't. Because Holland would be a dumbass to trade Smith. Again, the ONLY way I ever want to hear Smith evening whispered in a trade scenario is if Weber was coming back in exchange. Even then I would be hesitant to trade Smith.

The future of Detroit's D is Smith, McKee, Sproul, and hopefully Dekeyser. Kronner will be the leader and it will be either Quincey or Ericsson to be here long term as well...

Edited by LeftWinger

I have to believe Holland is waiting for the CBA to be renewed before he takes a stab at a defender (trade or UFA.) He only has 6 right now, he needs one more for sure to complete his NHL roster. With Nyquist, Brunner and Smith getting full time jobs, along with Kindl having a top 6 spot (thus far,) I find it hard to believe that Holland will bring up yet another rookie to fill his NHL roster... He has to eyeing a few 2nd tier defenders aw well as still looking at Yandle. I just think he is going to see if teams will be looking to have to dump some salaries after the CBA...

No it won't. Because Holland would be a dumbass to trade Smith. Again, the ONLY way I ever want to hear Smith evening whispered in a trade scenario is if Weber was coming back in exchange. Even then I would be hesitant to trade Smith.

The future of Detroit's D is Smith, McKee, Sproul, and hopefully Dekeyser. Kronner will be the leader and it will be either Quincey or Ericsson to be here long term as well...

McKee over Ouellet? no way.

I'm liking the way that looks. Personally i think that Smith is going to be a lot like Weber and anyone who thinks him and Gus would be required plus picks to get Yandle are crazy. Our top 2 prospects and picks....glad Holland doesn't jump the gun and offer that s***. Gonna go on record right now saying that Smith will be a better Dman than Yandle within 2 years. Nyquist wil be a 60 point guy within 2 years as well.

It's kind of sad how many guys on here see value in every other teams guys like Ryan and Yandle and Nash before he was traded, but do not see the value in our guys like Flip, Smith and Nyquist to name a few. I have a feeling there's gonna be a record amount of crow eating here this coming year especially when our boys finish tops in the central and blow the Wild away in the standings. wait for Smith and Nyquist to finish 1 and 2 in Calder voting and then offer them both and picks for 1 good #2 dman.

I'm liking the way that looks. Personally i think that Smith is going to be a lot like Weber and anyone who thinks him and Gus would be required plus picks to get Yandle are crazy. Our top 2 prospects and picks....glad Holland doesn't jump the gun and offer that s***. Gonna go on record right now saying that Smith will be a better Dman than Yandle within 2 years. Nyquist wil be a 60 point guy within 2 years as well.

It's kind of sad how many guys on here see value in every other teams guys like Ryan and Yandle and Nash before he was traded, but do not see the value in our guys like Flip, Smith and Nyquist to name a few. I have a feeling there's gonna be a record amount of crow eating here this coming year especially when our boys finish tops in the central and blow the Wild away in the standings. wait for Smith and Nyquist to finish 1 and 2 in Calder voting and then offer them both and picks for 1 good #2 dman.

Smith will be great we all know that but probably not a Weber

Smith - Sproul ----------- Wisniewski - Souray

Ouellet - Mckee --------- Giordano - Carkner

Smith will be great we all know that but probably not a Weber

Smith - Sproul ----------- Wisniewski - Souray

Ouellet - Mckee --------- Giordano - Carkner

i'm pretty high on Smith and until proven otherwise, i'm gonna be a stubborn SOB and say he'll be as close to Weber as we can get. I don't think Wiz will be comparable to tie Smith's skates once he blasts out the gate this year. And i sincerely hope Sproul is better than Souray in the longrun. I see him as more of a complete package than Souray, who is bad defensively and slow as molasses. Sproul to me looked a lot more like Kronwall minus the Kronwallings, going by his video anyways. McKee, i'm looking at Stuart from the Jets. Defensively relieable and can toss em'. Haven't seen much of Oulette yet, but i'll go online tonight if i remember and give you my comparison. But if he's like Giordano, then i'm happy with that. Carkner is also a good fit for McKee...big nasty mother.

i'm pretty high on Smith and until proven otherwise, i'm gonna be a stubborn SOB and say he'll be as close to Weber as we can get. I don't think Wiz will be comparable to tie Smith's skates once he blasts out the gate this year. And i sincerely hope Sproul is better than Souray in the longrun. I see him as more of a complete package than Souray, who is bad defensively and slow as molasses. Sproul to me looked a lot more like Kronwall minus the Kronwallings, going by his video anyways. McKee, i'm looking at Stuart from the Jets. Defensively relieable and can toss em'. Haven't seen much of Oulette yet, but i'll go online tonight if i remember and give you my comparison. But if he's like Giordano, then i'm happy with that. Carkner is also a good fit for McKee...big nasty mother.

ouellet is a yandle type in my mind.

Just compared Smith to Wiz cause theyre both offensive d-man who play very aggressively and gritty in the D-zone....i bet he'll be better than Wiz though. Sproul is exactly that in my book....a more well rounded Souray. I almost compared Mckee to Mark Stuart the first time around.... He's much faster than M. Stuart though, and I think even nastier!

ouellet is a yandle type in my mind.

I disagree completely on that one. Yandle has awesome offensive skills, and is a great skater....but he's also softy.....Ouellys always been described as a 2-way guy with slightly more of a defensive mind.... definately not a softy, will drop the gloves if he needs to....and is also not the best skater in the world, decent thou.

Guest The Axe

Yah, why give up a dman who has "potential" and a forward who has 4 career goals for a Norris Trophy candidate in his prime? Youre right. Thats stupid.

Pfffff

McKee over Ouellet? no way.

Total different players...they can and will both be here eventually. I do like Dekeyser and think he is just a step behind Smith in developing. Holland may or may not pick him up. Either way, the defense looks very bright!

Kronwall, Quincey, Ericsson, Smith, Sproul, Ouellet, Mckee and the possibilty of DeKeyser....that is a nice lineup when you take a step back and look at it. Very nice future without Suter/Weber or Yandle...Wings D looks hot in 3-4 years!

Guest The Axe

Total different players...they can and will both be here eventually. I do like Dekeyser and think he is just a step behind Smith in developing. Holland may or may not pick him up. Either way, the defense looks very bright!

Kronwall, Quincey, Ericsson, Smith, Sproul, Ouellet, Mckee and the possibilty of DeKeyser....that is a nice lineup when you take a step back and look at it. Very nice future without Suter/Weber or Yandle...Wings D looks hot in 3-4 years!

Thats a half-full glass approach for sure...

Guest Hatethedrake!

I expect Kronwall to show that he is a legit #1 dman. I don't think we really have a true #2 guy. White and Quincey are decent #3 and #4 guys. Quincey should be a little better this season. White does not get to play with Nick anymore so he will not be as good. Smith has the potential to be that #2 guy but he is not ready for this role yet. Ericsson is good on the 3rd pair and is a solid penalty killler. I have no use for Kindl. Just not a fan of his at all. I think with Kronwall stepping up and Smith coming in gives us some hope on the blueline.

I disagree completely on that one. Yandle has awesome offensive skills, and is a great skater....but he's also softy.....Ouellys always been described as a 2-way guy with slightly more of a defensive mind.... definately not a softy, will drop the gloves if he needs to....and is also not the best skater in the world, decent thou.

Have you checked out his offensive numbers? the guy is an absolute stud in the offensive zone! maybe he projects to be better defensively than yandle but the point production is totally there.