• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
matemate

Our current forwards.

Rate this topic

lets face the hard truth. holland wont do a jack s***.

we have: bert, dats, flipp, z, mule, cleary, helm, eaves, miller, abby, tootoo, nyqvist, tatar, andersson, emmerton, mursak and sammy....

too many forwards...

the best would be:

Flippula - Datsyuk - Cleary (Cleary is better then Bert, period.)

Franzen - Zetterberg - Samuelsson (Sammy is still decent, and these guys have some chemistry)

Eaves - Helm - Miller (fast, gritty line, 30 points each)

Bertuzzi - Abdelkalder - Tootoo (Physical line that can play some decent hockey)

All you need to know about why we suck, is that you have Dan Cleary on the top line.

Hell, it doesn't matter how you slice it, our forward lineup is old on the top 2 lines.

And keep in mind, many of these players have a history of injuries, so depth will be a factor. I expect to see Nyquist, Tatar and Mursak a lot this season.

Guest mjtm77

All you need to know about why we suck, is that you have Dan Cleary on the top line.

Hell, it doesn't matter how you slice it, our forward lineup is old on the top 2 lines.

And keep in mind, many of these players have a history of injuries, so depth will be a factor. I expect to see Nyquist, Tatar and Mursak a lot this season.

That scares me

Is this a "everyone panic thread" cause we don't know the forward lines yet and its the beginning of August? Also the lines probably will change a lot anyways. Anyone need a valium?

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Our forwards aren't as bad as they seem. Even assuming Cleary has another bad year and can't crack the top 6. Last year's number's compared to Vancouver's who had the best offense in the Western Confernce, and Chicago second best.

Zetterberg(.84)/Datsyuk(.96)/Franzen(.73)

Bertuzzi(.54)/Filpulla(.81)/Sammy(.57)

Sedin(.93)/Sedin(.99)/Higgins(.61)

Burrows(.65)Kesler(.64)/Booth(.48)

Sharp(.93)/Toews(.97)/Hossa(.95)

Kane(,80)Bolland(.49)/Stalberg(.54)

Our top 6 doesn't suck by any standard, sorry. And we have pieces like Nyquist/Brunner that are unknowns and could contribute, and veterans like Cleary who have proven to put up 20 goals in the past.

I'm reserving judgement until training camp and the preseason. I like some of the unkown potential we have with the youth, but I also feel that once there is a more solid sense of what the new CBA will bring that Holland will surprise us.

Edited by TheXym

I wasn't sold on that Brunner guy when we signed him, but after watching his highlight video the guy has a high end skill.

I'd like to see

Brunner-Datsyuk-Nyquist (Yepp, give Pavel two quick high skill guys and let him develop them)

Filppula-Zetterberg-Franzen (Pretty much the top line, would be deadly. Franzen is better with Zetterberg I feel.)

Cleary-Helm-Bertuzzi (Could be a pretty physical line with scoring potential if they stay healthy)

Eaves-Abdelkader-Tootoo (Wrecking ball line, decent amount of offensive touch too)

Then Miller, Emmerton, Mursak as the spare parts. Actually.. I guess I forgot Samuelsson. Yeah, we have too many forwards :lol:

I have been watching highlights of the 2007-08 season and it seems like every goal is coming off of Pavs, Hank or Homer's line. They were simply unbelievable and the top line in all of hockey that year. Zetty frickin scored at will it seemed, but that led me to think what has changed the most since then? Babcock has turned Zetty into a playmaker rather than a sniper like he was that year. That year Zetty always got himself open and Pavs always found him. Ever since then Zetty has been almost always separated from Pavs, and has had to become a playmaker instead. IMO we need Babcock to put Pavel and Hank back together have have Hank focus on being that SNIPER because we do not need him to be the playmaker. I think Homer is going to retire, but I think we need a player like him on that line, someone who busts their ass, can deflect pucks, and go in the dirty areas. Cleary is that guy. Sure last year he played with them for a bit and sucked, but he had very bad knees. I would like to see it start the season and keep it together for 10 games to see how it goes.

Zetty- Datsyuk- Cleary

Sammy- Filpulla- Franzen

Brunner-Helm-Nyquist

Tootoo- Abs- Bert

That actually is a pretty decent looking forward group. And if Babs can get Zetty to get open and shoot the puck like he used to, there is no reason he and Pavs won't score 30 goals each. Fil can center his own line and Franzen can get his 25ish goals, Sammy can get close to 20 goals and Fil 20-25 goals. I think we have jumped on Kenny's case a lot, but the forwards group is amongst the best in the NHL and can be upgraded down the road if need be.

It was not proven at all. He had effed up knees all season. The season before that the guy got like 25 goals!! He is all healed up, so lets give him a fresh start with Hank and Pavs and see how he does. I think Pavs and Hank will make magic this year if Babs can just make it work, and Cleary has the potential to do a good job as the 3rd guy on that line.

Actually I like how our forwards look better than last year. It's defense that worries me.

I agree, we have more than enough forwards. Also I think people need to stop worrying and being upset all the big named Free Agents signed with small market teams, it's 2 months until opening night!

Watch the Tigers while you're waiting for the Wings to start up, they had a 5 run bottom of the 10th today to win 10-8, after being down 8-5. :yahoo:

i'd like to see something like....

nyquist-datsyuk-mule

brunner/sammy-zette-filp

brunner/sammy-helm-bert

cleary/eaves-abby-toots

brunner/sammy i guess depends on how they blend with the lines. i think sammy will probly end up on the 2nd line although i'd like to see it be brunner. if brunner does end up on helms line tho, their combined speed would be awesome. i wouldn't mind if sammy and bert were both in the top 6 tho. then we could have a speed demon line in brunner-helm-nyq..

as far as cleary goes.. i don't think he really fits on the roster too well. unless he comes out hard and bounces back this year but yeah, we have too many forwards no doubt. that's why i think we've been trying to trade. then again it could just be injury depth since the injury bug hasn't been the best to us in recent years.

This board is dry and barren from the lack of news and the anxiety is compressing the nothingness into a black hole.

A lines thread in August is kind of silly. There are still a lot of question marks in the air, many of which training camp will sort out.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Brunner

Nyquist - Filppula - Samuelsson

Franzen - Helm - Cleary

Bertuzzi - Abdelkader - Tootoo

Or, if that second line is too wimpy, swap Franzen and Samuelsson.

Nyquist - Filppula - Franzen

Cleary - Helm - Samuelsson

Franzen - Helm - Cleary

I like these lines. Considering that there are still 4 forwards, and we can only keep two of them, which two do you trade? Eaves, Miller, Emmerton or Mursak...I guess I would trade the two that bring me the best draft picks and that is up in the air. Either a team wants youth more or experience...its a tough call.

Or, if that second line is too wimpy, swap Franzen and Samuelsson.

Nyquist - Filppula - Franzen

Cleary - Helm - Samuelsson

Nah, Franzen is a 3rd liner. Only put him on the top powerplay.

Edited by LeftWinger

i am not so much worried about exact lines, but i hope nyquist and brunner get legit shots at top 6 time. i think the biggest problem the wings have had is never knowing what their young guys can offer. its one thing to get them ripe, but its another to only give them limited chances and then move on without ever letting a guy get a true shot. sure, players have to earn their shots, but you cant stick a guy on the 4th line for a week and a half and then send him down because he didnt score 8 goals...

the problem i see though is that if we are to give nyquist and/or brunner a top 6 shot, then all of a sudden, the bottom 6 gets really crowded. that means, sammy, cleary, tootoo and bertuzzi are eating up the 4 bottom 6 winger slots. assuming helm and abdelkader are the bottom 2 centers, that leaves miller, eaves, mursak, and emmerton fighting just for the extra slots.

i worry that because of that fight for roster spots, nyquist or brunner will get sent down because they have options. then most likely emmerton and/or mursak are the odd guys out. yet a guy like mursak still never really got a shot. when he played last year it was mostly with emmerton and holmstrom and that line wasnt going to succeed regardless of how good or bad jan played. so once again, he is an unknown that will be entirely evaluated on preseason games. i hate that we will most likely move on from the guy without ever really giving him a good look.

yet another complication is eaves. if he is healthy for the season then he definitely earns a roster spot and debatably (yes i made that word up) still deserves a bottom 6 position. if he still has problems then obviously that opens up 1 slot.

I dont mind the look of our Forwards at all...I have a lot of faith in Nyquist and Brunner.

Franzen - Datsyuk - Brunner

Filppula- Zetterberg - Nyquist

Bertuzzi - Helm - Samuelsson

Cleary - Abdelkader - Tootoo

13th/14th/15th -Mursak/Emmerton/Miller (someone needs to be traded)

Eaves - LTIR

I really like that lineup.

Edited by robb himself

Franzen - Helm - Cleary

Egads, that's a recipe for disaster... Filppula would struggle to get over 50 points on that line... no way Franzen and Helm can play together, total contrast in style. Helm won't get the puck to Franzen nearly enough and Franzen won't work nearly hard enough to keep up with Helm... and Bertuzzi isn't getting paid over $2M to play on the 4th line. I think he'll see most of his minutes with Datsyuk again. Also, I think Abdelkader is more effective on the wing, but he seems to have been anointed 4th line center by Holland and Babcock (for now).

Egads, that's a recipe for disaster... Filppula would struggle to get over 50 points on that line... no way Franzen and Helm can play together, total contrast in style. Helm won't get the puck to Franzen nearly enough and Franzen won't work nearly hard enough to keep up with Helm... and Bertuzzi isn't getting paid over $2M to play on the 4th line. I think he'll see most of his minutes with Datsyuk again. Also, I think Abdelkader is more effective on the wing, but he seems to have been anointed 4th line center by Holland and Babcock (for now).

Filppula - Datsyuk - Samuelsson

Franzen - Zetterberg - Brunner

Bertuzzi - Helm - Cleary

Tootoo - Abdelkader - Eaves

^ If we stand pat that's what I'd expect at the beginning of the season