• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
matemate

Our current forwards.

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

If Z D F get run, then we should have a legit fighter to make that guy pay. Kocur, Lapointe, and Shanny policed things. We dont even have one guy as tough as them.

If Z D F get run, then we should have a legit fighter to make that guy pay. Kocur, Lapointe, and Shanny policed things. We dont even have one guy as tough as them.

How come none of them did anything when Lemeiux broke most of Drapers face with a hit from behind?

The fact is that in the playoffs its a foolish move to retaliate and give your opponents an extended power play while also getting yourself suspended.

The Wings didn't win any of their last 4 cups because people were afraid of their tougher guys. Teams were far more afraid of their offence and their powerplay to take liberties which would end up costing them games.

I'd rather have guys who can contribute offensively, and can drop the gloves when needed than I would employ a "tough guy" who will sit on the bench until we feel we need to get retribution. Its a waste of a roster spot.

"To make that guy pay" as you put it, serves nothing more than to satisfy your own sense of justice and/or revenge. It won't prevent tough guys on other teams from being tough guys, it won't prevent cheap-shot artists from being cheap-shot artists, and Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, and all the others will still have to play with their heads up. This is a professional hockey league. Goons have a very narrow niche that they fill, which is becoming more narrow as the game evolves. If they shy away from doing what they do best, they likely lose their job to someone who can better benefit the team. We could have dressed Probert, Kocur, Shanny, Lapointe, Pronger, Clutterbuck, and Tootoo all in their primes against the Preds, and Weber still wouldn't waste a second in slamming Zetterberg into the boards. You would get to see them "make that guy pay", probably in a more satisfying way than Bertuzzi provided, but it wouldn't stop anything. Actually, it might make the series even more of a bloodbath, because then the other team will want to "make that guy pay", but hey, at least its entertaining to watch right?

Tootoo can make that guy pay and he can do it well enough to satisfy your sense of justice or revenge or entertainment or whatever it is you're looking for against most players in the league. He can also contribute in creating scoring opportunities. I'm not sure what more you want.

Exactly. Z and D get hacked. Why cant we get a fighter?

Because we only have 1 roster spot available and far more pressing needs and also because adding a "fighter" won't have any effect on D and Z getting hacked.

Exactly. Z and D get hacked. Why cant we get a fighter?

The league has changed. I'm an enforcer fan and definitely believe in letting tough guys police the players....but the league has changed. Whether you, or I, like it or not that's not how the game works anymore. Everyone gets run these days....even big mean guys get run....The most important thing nowadays is to KEEP YOUR HEAD UP, and draw that penalty....a Fighter is not going to fix things....the most you can do is at least agitate back (hence the tootoo signing)

I you haven't seen all of the two handers directed at Z's back you must be.................. Stevie Wonder.

Everyone gets two handers in the back these days....Z is not special lol....Weber would have done that to Crosby too in that situation, even with Godard sitting on the bench

Edited by number9

"Hacking "is hockey. Getting an enforcer just for that would make us even pussier. (Irony!)

I do think we ought to have an enforcer in the system. (Note: I didn't say "...on the bench every game.") But not for chipping and whacking or even two-handers, unless they're especially, overtly aggressive.

Don't get me wrong: we are definitely too soft, and I don't like that every ****** bag in the league knows that he can slam Z or D's face into the glass and, oh, we might just throw Todd Bertuzzi at you 24-48 hours later, and he probably won't win, and in [insert ****** bag]'s post-game presser, [****** bag] will be all "Well, yah know, they did what they had to do. I expected something and I was glad to get it out of the way so we could get on with the game and play some hockey. That's why we're all here" and, holy s***, Todd sure put the fear of God into him, etc.

And, yeah, if you've got some ass clown lumberjacking your top center's wrists every time he touches the puck, you're probably going to want to send a message, as opposed to just pestering and pissing off and trash-talking.

And, considering our luck with injuries, and our enormous depth on the back-end, and our all-Euro top-6, it might be worth being a little saltier thank usual with potential assailants.

But if anyone is actually suggesting we dress a knuckle-dragger just because of some chippy stick action... :bored:

I just read NHL.com's 30 in 30 piece on the Wings and they included a prospective lineup. Kind of funny, we have so many freaking forwards. It really makes you wonder if Holland either A) was gearing up for a trade that never happened or B) just doesn't have much faith in some of these forwards.

Either way I like depth, but I hope it doesn't force Eaves out of the regular lineup. Tootoo also should play regularly for what he brings (physicality, energy and points). I did like their third line of Nyquist-Helm-Samuellson though.

I just read NHL.com's 30 in 30 piece on the Wings and they included a prospective lineup. Kind of funny, we have so many freaking forwards. It really makes you wonder if Holland either A) was gearing up for a trade that never happened or B) just doesn't have much faith in some of these forwards.

Either way I like depth, but I hope it doesn't force Eaves out of the regular lineup. Tootoo also should play regularly for what he brings (physicality, energy and points). I did like their third line of Nyquist-Helm-Samuellson though.

That would be a really good line, but Nyquist is a top 6 type player. He should be on a line with Dats or Z.

Gotta be gearing up for a trade. Probably just waiting for the CBA

Guest The Axe

Gotta be gearing up for a trade. Probably just waiting for the CBA

We need more size. We are way too small right now up front.

Hope for a trade all you want fellas, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Cleary, Bert, and Sammy all have NTC's. Miller, Eaves, Abby, Emmerton, and Mursak have little to no value on their own. Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't going anywhere. Which leaves Flip, Nyquist, Franzen, and Brunner. Only two of them are proven enough to be center pieces in trades as the other two haven't proven anything at the NHL level, and losing a top six from an already depleted top six really doesn't make any sense unless we're getting one back.

Oh, and we've only got six defensemen under contract, so there's no way we're trading one of those either.

Hope for a trade all you want fellas, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Cleary, Bert, and Sammy all have NTC's. Miller, Eaves, Abby, Emmerton, and Mursak have little to no value on their own. Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't going anywhere. Which leaves Flip, Nyquist, Franzen, and Brunner. Only two of them are proven enough to be center pieces in trades as the other two haven't proven anything at the NHL level, and losing a top six from an already depleted top six really doesn't make any sense unless we're getting one back.

Oh, and we've only got six defensemen under contract, so there's no way we're trading one of those either.

Eaves and a 1st rounder....Mursak and Emmerton on waivers

Frustrating but true, friend. Frustrating but true.

Still, I'd part with Franzen or Flip if it meant landing a first-line/top-pairing stud.

Guest The Axe

Still, I'd part with Franzen or Flip if it meant landing a first-line/top-pairing stud.

Franzen + scrubs for Ryan. Oh yah.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Ryan if he is traded at all will likely go to an Eastern team like the Sens. They could offer a guy like Michalek as the centerpiece. The Ducks would not want Franzen. He is much older than Ryan is and does not have near as much value to a team.

Cleary's no trade has expired, but It doesn't really matter, coming off his injury he doesn't hold much value in a trade.

A trade will most certainly be coming, but it won't be one of any significance. Joey MacDonald was promised he'd be moved to a team where he has a shot at playing in the NHL. They may throw a guy like Mursak or Emmerton into the deal if it lands them a pick back or perhaps a defensive prospect.

Cleary's no trade has expired, but It doesn't really matter, coming off his injury he doesn't hold much value in a trade.

A trade will most certainly be coming, but it won't be one of any significance. Joey MacDonald was promised he'd be moved to a team where he has a shot at playing in the NHL. They may throw a guy like Mursak or Emmerton into the deal if it lands them a pick back or perhaps a defensive prospect.

true plus I don't think Holland wouldnt trade Cleary anyway.....he's way too beloved by the team

Edited by number9

I wouldn't mind trading either of these guys if it meant bringing back a top six forward at least as good as Ryan, but not for a defenseman, we've got a weak top six as it is and I wouldn't want to see it get weaker by moving another top six out and not getting one in return. All of this could change if Brunner or Nyquist are having stellar years but as it stands right now, I think our best bet is to sign a seventh defenseman and then wait until the season starts to see what we've got.

I wouldn't mind trading either of these guys if it meant bringing back a top six forward at least as good as Ryan, but not for a defenseman, we've got a weak top six as it is and I wouldn't want to see it get weaker by moving another top six out and not getting one in return. All of this could change if Brunner or Nyquist are having stellar years but as it stands right now, I think our best bet is to sign a seventh defenseman and then wait until the season starts to see what we've got.

This... At some point in the cap world, you have to get significant contributions from young players either still on their entry level or second contract. The Wings have been able to hold off for nearly a decade on that front for the most part, but going into this next season (whenever it starts) it's pretty clear some of the youngsters are going to have to step up. The other option is to nearly empty the prospect cupboard on the Bouwmeesters, Yandles, or Ryans & potentially cripple the organ-i-zation going forward. Unless a deal too good to pass up drops in Kenny's lap, I do see the Wings rolling with what they have, including a UFA d-man signing or two, until deeper into the season.