• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#61 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

Agree. Until Big E and Abby actually win a fight or Bert lands a meaningful punch, Toots is the guy.

esteef

Spot on. Tootoo is our toughest guy. He is not tough, though. Kocur was tough. Probert was tough. Id put Tootoo on a toughness level of Dino, but without the offensive punch.

#62 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,062 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Spot on. Tootoo is our toughest guy. He is not tough, though. Kocur was tough. Probert was tough. Id put Tootoo on a toughness level of Dino, but without the offensive punch.

No one will ever be Kocur or Probert, and it's foolish to compare. Tootoo is damn tough, he just isn't big. He's got the heart of a lion and he's gonna surprise alot of Wings fans this season. Mark my words.

#NOMOREKINDL

#63 LetsTalkCarbs

LetsTalkCarbs

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

abdelkader is plenty tough as well, could easily see a line of him tootoo and bertuzzi put out there if there's ever a time when a message/ stand needs to be taken.

#64 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

No one will ever be Kocur or Probert, and it's foolish to compare. Tootoo is damn tough, he just isn't big. He's got the heart of a lion and he's gonna surprise alot of Wings fans this season. Mark my words.

I agree. If your definition of toughness is exclusively in the realm of Probert and Kocur, then there are only six or seven guys in the history of the NHL that can be categorized as tough.
Tootoo knows how to give and take real haymakers, throws his body around chaotically and drives into people like a freight train. On top of all of that, he is comfortable with actually playing hockey, and can be known to contribute as well.
I'm looking forward to seeing this guy play, and I agree that he will surprise a lot of Wings' fans as well.

#65 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:03 PM

I love the Tootoo signing. He'll crash, he'll bang, he's pester, he'll piss off. He'll stand up for his team mates. He'll fight. How many other guys like that do we have?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#66 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

I love the Tootoo signing. He'll crash, he'll bang, he's pester, he'll piss off. He'll stand up for his team mates. He'll fight. How many other guys like that do we have?

None. I like Tootoo, but the Wings could use a jaw breaker. Tootoo just has heart.

#67 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

Tootoo has more than heart. He's a tough customer, very hard hitter. "Yeah, but if only he were a jawbreaker." Really? Come on, yo.

Edited by Dabura, 10 August 2012 - 05:44 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#68 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

Im just saying teams dont fear him and will still run our guys.

#69 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

Maybe we should trade for a Vancouver Canuck that will stick up for teammates by biting dudes...? Maybe then they'll think twice about running our guys. Doesn't matter who you sign, there's always an idiot out there that'll run your guys no matter what team. Any guess as to why? Cause the instigator is there to make sure little punks don't get destroyed by angry motherf***ers that can police the game better than refs. Tootoo will be more effective when the NHL gets some balls and cans the instigator and returns respect to the game amongst players.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#70 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,006 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

Which guys get run at and how often do they miss time with injuries sustained by getting run at?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#71 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

I don't want to derail this thread (too much) but I don't think it matters who is iced if you're looking to prevent guys from getting run. The goons in the NHL are all high testosterone competitors and won't back down even if there is a tough guy out there wearing an opponent's jersey. I've seen Yzerman get run plenty of times while we had Probert and Kocur. Yes fights occurred afterward, but star players still took their licks.
Then there are smaller guys who run players looking for someone to drop the gloves so they get a power play out of it via the instigator.
Tootoo gives us chaos, and people will focus on him when he's out there, and not so much the game itself. He (much like any other NHLer) won't prevent Datsyuk or Zetterberg from taking a cheap shot, though.

#72 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

Zetterberg got slammed and no retribution.

#73 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

...okay? I'm failing to see your point, if there is one.

#74 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

...okay? I'm failing to see your point, if there is one.

We need a tough guy.

#75 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,006 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:02 AM

There was retribution. Bertuzzi fought Weber, he didn't win but he fought him. Winning against Weber is no easy task but he did have to account for it. So to say that there was no retribution is silly. Unless you think we should have run at some of their guys too?

Also: Zetterberg didn't "get run", and he missed zero minutes of zero games due to the obviously vicious nature of the attack.

Edited by kipwinger, 12 August 2012 - 06:03 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#76 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYtqUCyKtkU

After one of these in the Joe, people will be raving about this guy. Just wait and see.

Kid ran out of gas in the end, but he's feisty.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#77 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

If Z D F get run, then we should have a legit fighter to make that guy pay. Kocur, Lapointe, and Shanny policed things. We dont even have one guy as tough as them.

#78 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

If Z D F get run, then we should have a legit fighter to make that guy pay. Kocur, Lapointe, and Shanny policed things. We dont even have one guy as tough as them.

Seriously.... that's pre-lockout. It's a different game. Go cry about it.

#79 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

How come none of them did anything when Lemeiux broke most of Drapers face with a hit from behind?

The fact is that in the playoffs its a foolish move to retaliate and give your opponents an extended power play while also getting yourself suspended.

The Wings didn't win any of their last 4 cups because people were afraid of their tougher guys. Teams were far more afraid of their offence and their powerplay to take liberties which would end up costing them games.

I'd rather have guys who can contribute offensively, and can drop the gloves when needed than I would employ a "tough guy" who will sit on the bench until we feel we need to get retribution. Its a waste of a roster spot.

#80 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

"To make that guy pay" as you put it, serves nothing more than to satisfy your own sense of justice and/or revenge. It won't prevent tough guys on other teams from being tough guys, it won't prevent cheap-shot artists from being cheap-shot artists, and Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, and all the others will still have to play with their heads up. This is a professional hockey league. Goons have a very narrow niche that they fill, which is becoming more narrow as the game evolves. If they shy away from doing what they do best, they likely lose their job to someone who can better benefit the team. We could have dressed Probert, Kocur, Shanny, Lapointe, Pronger, Clutterbuck, and Tootoo all in their primes against the Preds, and Weber still wouldn't waste a second in slamming Zetterberg into the boards. You would get to see them "make that guy pay", probably in a more satisfying way than Bertuzzi provided, but it wouldn't stop anything. Actually, it might make the series even more of a bloodbath, because then the other team will want to "make that guy pay", but hey, at least its entertaining to watch right?
Tootoo can make that guy pay and he can do it well enough to satisfy your sense of justice or revenge or entertainment or whatever it is you're looking for against most players in the league. He can also contribute in creating scoring opportunities. I'm not sure what more you want.