• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Z and D for the C

Anyone remember this article about Steve Yzerman and top NHL captains?

Rate this topic

Does anyone remember the article where is listed/rank the top NHL captains and listed Yzerman "first".."and then" started the rankings? Like it was Steve Yzerman "and then the rest"? Or something along those lines.

I'd really like to find it. I know someone posted it on here a while ago.

No, I looked online, but I did run into a Bleacher Report listing that had Yzerman 5th all time...behind Lemieux and Sakic. What?! Messier I can understand, not just because of the Rangers '94, but because of the Gretzky-less Cup he won with the '90 Oilers, which tends to get overlooked in hockey history lessons, I think.

No, I looked online, but I did run into a Bleacher Report listing that had Yzerman 5th all time...behind Lemieux and Sakic. What?! Messier I can understand, not just because of the Rangers '94, but because of the Gretzky-less Cup he won with the '90 Oilers, which tends to get overlooked in hockey history lessons, I think.

That's interesting... Sakic is great, but just below Yzerman and Lemieux never was much of a leader if you ask me. His team was good with him, Jagr and an all star cast, but he never got the team from obscurity to a championship caliber team and KEPT it there. Messier is great, but homer or not, he's #2 to Yzerman for reasons stated above. Yzerman took a s***ty team on his back and didn't get much help til Lids was drafted but was made captain at a very young age because of his poise and leadership qualities. Messier wasn't even captain until Gretzky left. and with NYR, he had an all star cast agian in 94.

Sakic has my respect as a captain. He captained some of those very good Avalanche teams and helped make and keep them competitive for a long time. Messier too, he seemed like he would kick ass if he had too. Lemieux can suck it. Remember, don't discount captains with awesome supporting casts. Yzerman had the benefit of some good/great/HOF teams. Lest ye forget the 2002 Stanley Cup Team. That team had enough HOF's to start its own wing in the HHOF.

Other guys worthy of mention that weren't already named in this thread are Beliveau, Stevens, Clarke and Gretzky.

I've commented before on how Wayne is never thought of as a great captain, even though he never took a game off and constantly outworked the opposition for loose pucks. He should be mentioned as one of the best captains.

Other guys worthy of mention that weren't already named in this thread are Beliveau, Stevens, Clarke and Gretzky.

I've commented before on how Wayne is never thought of as a great captain, even though he never took a game off and constantly outworked the opposition for loose pucks. He should be mentioned as one of the best captains.

Great choices... Beliveau should be #1. Top player and captain on two dynasties who exemplified class and integrity. I'd put Gretzky and Yzerman as 2a and 2b. Gretzky gets underrated as a captain b/c of Messier, but when it gets to sports beyond high school, I believe the "lead by example" leader speaks to more than the "in your face" type of leadership which speaks to some but turns off others.

I do not put Sakic at Yzerman level simply because he signed an offer sheet from the Rangers, while captain of the Avalanche.