• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

12-13 Biggest Surprise

Rate this topic

If the Wings do carry 14 forwards & they want someone who can add to the bottom 6, there's a better chance of Sheahan making the team at this point then Emmerton. Sheahan brings more size, can cycle like a demon, & has more offensive upside too.

Given the current state of the defense though, I wouldn't be surprised if Kenny signs 2 cheap UFA d-men yet & goes with 8 d & 13 forwards given the lack of d-prospects the Wings can call up from GR in case of injury while still having the likes of Sheahan, Tatar, & possibly Nyquist to call up if a forward goes down.

Not a chance. Sheahan will play big minutes or at least a regular shift in Grand Rapids. UNLESS the Wings are decimated by injuries. There's no way, under regular circumstances, that Sheahan stays in Detroit only to sit in the press box or play 5 minutes a night.

Edited by rick zombo

Not a chance. Sheahan will play big minutes or at least a regular shift in Grand Rapids. UNLESS the Wings are decimated by injuries. There's no way, under regular circumstances, that Sheahan stays in Detroit only to sit in the press box or play 5 minutes a night.

Not saying he's gonna make the team, champ, just saying that he's got a better shot than Emmerton does which is realistically 0% at this point.

Guest The Axe

Where does Emmerton fit in the line up though? I like that you've conceded that Nyquist and Brunner are top 6 guys and assming they're in the top 6 it would look approximately like so:

Mule-Dats-Nyquist

Brunner-Z-Flip

With the bottom 6 having like 20 guys...eff it, i'll just list 'em.

Miller, Helm, Abby, Bert, Sammy, Tootoo, Eaves, Cleary, Mursak, Emmerton and possible call ups from Andersson and Sheahan (whom are more useful in the bottom 6), not sure where Emmerton fits in.

Bottom 6 with a 13th/14th forward looks more like:

Sammy-Helm-Bertuzzi

Tootoo-Abby-Cleary

Eaves, Miller <---(possible D)

Emmerton won't knock any of those guys off and Mursak could be trade bait. Until Bertuzzi, Cleary and Sammy are done in a couple years, we won't see much more roll over on the bottom lines.

Youre spot on with the first 12. But #13 is Emmerton. And there will be revolving injuries that allow him to play.

Youre spot on with the first 12. But #13 is Emmerton. And there will be revolving injuries that allow him to play.

We get it Cory, you really want to play for the Wings this year. Any other year and you might have a chance but there are just too many guys ahead of you that are better. Now get off of LGW and go skate a few laps to get ready for whoever picks you up off of waivers.

We have a lot of NHL players in disguise here at LGW. It's fun.

Honestly, I think Tootoo might be the biggest surprise. I see him becoming a fan-favorite and spending a long time here in Detroit. Or else he flops and gets run out-o-town.

Guest The Axe

We get it Cory, you really want to play for the Wings this year. Any other year and you might have a chance but there are just too many guys ahead of you that are better. Now get off of LGW and go skate a few laps to get ready for whoever picks you up off of waivers.

When are you going to figure out that Im a regular?

In all likelyhood, you are right and we'll have as per usual 3 injured forwards at any given time of the year and yes, you will get to play Cory :lol: ...sorry dude, messing with people is too much fun to pass up. Either way, i'm very interested to see the starting lines on the season opener, so Gary Buttman better bridge the supposed gab between his butt cheeks so we can watch hockey when we should be.

Guest The Axe

I'm not a huge Emmerton fan, but realistically? 0%? Crazy talk.

Exactly. If he was bad, he'd be gone by now.

I'm not a huge Emmerton fan, but realistically? 0%? Crazy talk.

Realistically, 0% is what it stands at with our current forward group.

Exactly. If he was bad, he'd be gone by now.

You obviously don't understand how things work in the NHL. Explain to me how he would be gone by now. Please elaborate in exactly how the hell he would be gone with the insane amount of movement going on in the NHL right now? Oh that's right, because we're in the middle of CBA negotiations and nothing is happening until it is finalized. You're so oblivious its uncanny. He will strive elsewhere but he has no space in Detroit right now. We couldn't waive him down to GR last season and that's exactly why he played that many games. His ice-time went down and the organization basically had no faith in him. Babcock had to use him as a player, otherwise we were going to lose on trade value. Noone says "God, emmerton is so god awful", it's more like "God, we have no use for this player and he doesn't have a spot in the big show right now". I'm not even sure why you're so obsessed with him. Are you related to him? Was I right earlier when I called you Cory? The facts are there and you can go check his icetime log. I wish him the best and know he'll develop better with another organization, unfortunately it's just not with Detroit.

Edited by evilzyme

Guest The Axe

You obviously don't understand how things work in the NHL. Explain to me how he would be gone by now. Please elaborate in exactly how the hell he would be gone with the insane amount of movement going on in the NHL right now? Oh that's right, because we're in the middle of CBA negotiations and nothing is happening until it is finalized. You're so oblivious its uncanny.

You should look in the mirror. He played 71 games last year. Thats an awful lot for someone with no future.

Right. As the roster stands right now....

• There are 4 out of the top 6 spots taken for sure: Dats, Mule, Z, Fil
  • Babcock's already said he's starting Brunner out in the top 6, so 1 more spot to fill there unless he really s***s the bed in camp
  • You've got what I would call 3 tweeners to move between the top & bottom 6: Clears, Bert, & Sammy
  • Move one of those tweeners into the top 6 and you still have 7 forwards for the bottom 6: Say Sammy to the top 6 & Cleary, Bert, Helm, Abby, Miller, Tootoo, & Eaves for the bottom 6

There's your 13 forwards right there. With the most glaring hole being the top 6, I don't see that Emmerton has a chance of making the team IF they decide to even carry 14 forwards because the only value he holds is as a 4th line center. Nyquist is the logical choice there IF they carry 14. Emmerton only makes the team if Eaves can't go or for some reason Kenny can't/doesn't re-sign Abby.

Guest The Axe

• Babcock's already said he's starting Brunner out in the top 6, so 1 more spot to fill there unless he really s***s the bed in camp
  • You've got what I would call 3 tweeners to move between the top & bottom 6: Clears, Bert, & Sammy
  • Move one of those tweeners into the top 6 and you still have 7 forwards for the bottom 6: Say Sammy to the top 6 & Cleary, Bert, Helm, Abby, Miller, Tootoo, & Eaves for the bottom 6

There's your 13 forwards right there. With the most glaring hole being the top 6, I don't see that Emmerton has a chance of making the team IF they decide to even carry 14 forwards because the only value he holds is as a 4th line center. Nyquist is the logical choice there IF they carry 14. Emmerton only makes the team if Eaves can't go or for some reason Kenny can't/doesn't re-sign Abby.

Eaves and Miller are spare parts.

You should look in the mirror. He played 71 games last year. Thats an awful lot for someone with no future.

In counter to that argument...

Brett Ledba: Games played per season

2005-06: 46

2006-07: 74

2007-08: 78

2008-09: 65

2009-10: 63

Sometimes you have to play someone because a lack of other options. The Wings already have at least 13 other options ahead of Emmerton as of right now.

Who have proven themselves much more in the NHL than one Cory Emmerton has, are key PKers for the team, & have shown in a pinch that they can move up beyond the 4th line & still contribute.

You obviously haven't watched the Red Wings very long, I know this because of your statement right there. Eaves is one of the few select right handed shots on this team, inwhich case he is also one of our best PK'ers. Miller has shown, has the experience, and will beat Emmerton on the depth charts anyday of the week and twice on sunday, triple if its a midday game.

OK, given the current discussion I'm changing my biggest surprise of the season to....

First, Kenny goes insane & trades off Pavs, Z, Mule, Fil, & Smith for Jay Bouwmeester and one of Olli Jokinen's Big Macs that he left in the Calgary locker room. After fan backlash, Mr. I fires Kenny & replaces him with Pierre McGuire. Still with me? No other GM will deal with the Wings new ******-nozzle of a GM so the Wings have to rely on just existing roster players & are forced to call up the youngsters from GR. Because Helm is what makes the bottom 6 what it is, that vaults Emmerton into the #1 center role. He still responds with 50 goals & 105 points in a 60 game, lockout shortened season & beats out Evgeni Malkin for the Hart, Ross, & Richard trophies. And THAT would be the absolute biggest surprise of the 2012-13 season.

Not gonna happen but it would be a real surprise if it did :lol:

At the risk of being called "champ" again, I'll use the Sheahan arguement once more, only this time for Nyquist. IF Nyquist isn't playing a regular shift, he'll be back in Grand Rapids. He won't have to clear waivers. Emmerton HAS to clear waivers, and he won't.

At the risk of being called "champ" again, I'll use the Sheahan arguement once more, only this time for Nyquist. IF Nyquist isn't playing a regular shift, he'll be back in Grand Rapids. He won't have to clear waivers. Emmerton HAS to clear waivers, and he won't.

By all reports, Brunner doesn't have to pass through waivers either but Mursak would have to. So by that logic...Mursak up/Brunner down. OK that's settled then, roster set: Cory Emmerton & Jan Mursak are your 2012-13 Red Wings #13 & #14 forwards! Congrats to both!

Under normal circumstances, the whole "we would have to put player A through waivers but not player B so player A stays" might work. Given the Wings' needs this season, I think there's a greater chance that we see more of "Player B is clearly more talented than player A so let's take our chances because player B's going to the top 6" type of thinking.

Edited by ogreslayer

Franzen - Datsyuk - Brunner

Filppula - Zetterberg - Samuelsson

Bertuzzi - Helm - Cleary

Miller - Abdelkader - Tootoo/Eaves

Eaves/Tootoo, Nyquist

prolly

Looks pretty accurate to me, though I think if Cleary has a rebound year then he and Sammy might be switched on the second line. Probably depends on who's playing better and who finds the right chemistry with Z and Flip. However, the possibility of a Z, Flip, Brunner line really intrigues me. They could flat out fly. Plus, Cleary had career numbers when playing with Dats and Franzen two years ago.

The reason I like Cleary with Dats and Franzen is because he'll do all the dirty work and allow Franzen to play his perimeter game (he's going to do it regardless so we might as well expect it). And that does relegate Sammy to the third, which I'm not in love with, but then again, I'm not really in love with him playing on the team at all. For me, I guess it just depends on who's having the better season as they're both capable of playing in either scenario.

Edited by kipwinger

The reason I like Cleary with Dats and Franzen is because he'll do all the dirty work and allow Franzen to play his perimeter game (he's going to do it regardless so we might as well expect it). And that does relegate Sammy to the third, which I'm not in love with, but then again, I'm not really in love with him playing on the team at all. For me, I guess it just depends on who's having the better season as they're both capable of playing in either scenario.

And if Eaves can't go, I could see something like this:

Mule-Pavs-Brunner

Flip-Z-Gus

Cleary-Helm-Bert

Sammy-Abby-Tootoo

Miller

Still think depending on whether or not Kenny can grab a dependable & skilled d-man once the CBA's settled i.e. grab one off a buyout or trade w/ a team that has to get under a new, lower cap, the Wings might end up going with 8 d-men on the roster. Grab 2 UFAs to rotate with Kindl in the 6 hole & have a little insurance against injuries on the blue line. At this point the GR callups would be who, Lashoff & maybe Almquist? I don't see Kenny or Babs being all that comfortable with that. Plenty of callup options for forwards, not so much w/ d-men.