Photo
- - - - -

Who was the best player on our 2002 squad?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: MVP on the 2002 squad

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

2002 Red Wings MVP?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Favorite player?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:39 AM

I know Lidstrom won the Conn Smythe but some could make an argument for Steve or Dominik aswell.

bringit.jpg

#2 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:54 AM

Dom in 2002 and Stevie Y for his whole career; no exception. I can see it being some tough choices for a lot of people around here. Everyone has there own favorites for different reasons, which is good.

#3 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:44 AM

I'll forever be Yzerman biased, so I tick him as both my answers. I think in both cases it's well earned. Dom really was phenomenal that playoff year also.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#4 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

All good choices, but you know who I voted for. :lol:

I miss all of these great players.

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#5 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,804 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:27 AM

I'm downright offended that you left off the clear cut choice for MVP and obvious best player on the team that year, Jiri Slegr. Shame on you. After all, he played one game in the playoffs. That one game just-so-happened to be the game where we won the Stanley Cup. If that doesn't scream "Most Valuable Player", then I just don't know what does...

Back to reality... So many pieces on that team clicked together perfectly. Stevie putting the whole team on his back in the first round. Dom stonewalling Colorado (who had us on the brink) in Game 6. Lidstrom leading the defense in his usual always-perfect self, winning the Conn Smythe. Larionov always making the perfect pass, and scoring the iconic triple overtime goal. McCarty with the Hat Trick on Roy in Game 1.

I had to pick Nick as the MVP, and Stevie will always be my favorite Red Wing, so that was an easy choice for me.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#6 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,872 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

Best? Seriously couldn't decide. Ask me after each game.

Fave? My heart belongs to Mac.

#7 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

I think you could easily make a case for any of those players listed for MVP. Just an unbelievable collection of talent and all of them were terrific during that playoff run. Not to take anything away from Nick because he earned it, but Stevie was the MVP for me. He played on literally one knee and rallied the team from down 0-2 in the first round.

As for favorite player, that's a slam dunk. Stevie Y wins any time his name shows up there for me.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#8 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,258 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

The one and only
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#9 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

The way I look at it, Lidstrom was the MVP but Yzerman deserved it more, if you know what I mean. I think the Wings would still be a legitimate contender if Yzerman underwent his knee surgery. The team was unbelievably deep on the forwards list; You could have Shanahan-Fedorov-Holmtsrom, Devereaux-Datsyuk-Hull, Robitalle-Larionov-filler, grind line and still win the cup. However I don't think we win the cup with Fischer-Chelios, Dandenault-Duschene as top 2 D pairings. Hasek wouldn't be able to handle Colorado without Lidstrom commanding the blue line.

Favorite player? Always been Homer; his amazing deflection for the game 7 GWG basically lit a fire under the team.

bringit.jpg

#10 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

Feds was the best player. Yzerman played the best.

#11 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

Lidstrom is the only one who was right at his peak/prime that year and if you couple his regular season + playoffs was probably the best player in the world... Though Yzerman had nothing short of a heroic performance in the playoffs that year and I would not have blinked twice if he had won the Conn Smythe.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#12 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,640 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

I think Lidstrom was the best player on that team, and the only one of those Hall of Famers who was truly in his prime.

Conn Smythe could have gone either way. I have no problem with Lidstrom winning it. He was consistently the best player over those 4 playoff series.

Yzerman is my favorite player on the team and of all time.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#13 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

Are we talking just playoffs here? Tough call for best player. As someone else said, Yzerman was the most valuable player with his leadership playing on one leg, but I would have to go with Dom - he set a record for most shut-outs in the post season, out-goaltended Roy in the WCF, and hung in there when Irbe was standing on his head.

Favourite player was Feds.

Edited by Nev, 14 August 2012 - 11:34 AM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#14 PaZel

PaZel

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

Seriously guys, no love for Freddie Olausson?!?

"I didn't know the draft was in alphabetical order." - Henrik Zetterberg

#15 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

Uwe Krupp is being ignored as well, for some odd reason.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#16 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

Yzerman was such a warrior that season and playoffs, it was amazing to watch.

I just remember Hull scoring about a million clutch goals in the playoffs that year.
Posted Image

#17 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,504 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

I miss Shanny.

Scoring goals, and punching faces.

Old Time Hockey :thumbup:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#18 ElCapitan

ElCapitan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

El Capitan

#19 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

I voted for Lidstrom but Shanny had an unbelievable regular season and was equally deserving a that years MVP.

Yzerman was the heart of the team and a strong case can be made for him as well.

#20 datterberg1340

datterberg1340

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

Doesn't anybody remember the heroic exploits of Jason Williams during that run?