• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest irishock

Who was the best player on our 2002 squad?

Rate this topic

MVP on the 2002 squad  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest irishock

I know Lidstrom won the Conn Smythe but some could make an argument for Steve or Dominik aswell.

Dom in 2002 and Stevie Y for his whole career; no exception. I can see it being some tough choices for a lot of people around here. Everyone has there own favorites for different reasons, which is good.

I'm downright offended that you left off the clear cut choice for MVP and obvious best player on the team that year, Jiri Slegr. Shame on you. After all, he played one game in the playoffs. That one game just-so-happened to be the game where we won the Stanley Cup. If that doesn't scream "Most Valuable Player", then I just don't know what does...

Back to reality... So many pieces on that team clicked together perfectly. Stevie putting the whole team on his back in the first round. Dom stonewalling Colorado (who had us on the brink) in Game 6. Lidstrom leading the defense in his usual always-perfect self, winning the Conn Smythe. Larionov always making the perfect pass, and scoring the iconic triple overtime goal. McCarty with the Hat Trick on Roy in Game 1.

I had to pick Nick as the MVP, and Stevie will always be my favorite Red Wing, so that was an easy choice for me.

I think you could easily make a case for any of those players listed for MVP. Just an unbelievable collection of talent and all of them were terrific during that playoff run. Not to take anything away from Nick because he earned it, but Stevie was the MVP for me. He played on literally one knee and rallied the team from down 0-2 in the first round.

As for favorite player, that's a slam dunk. Stevie Y wins any time his name shows up there for me.

Guest irishock

The way I look at it, Lidstrom was the MVP but Yzerman deserved it more, if you know what I mean. I think the Wings would still be a legitimate contender if Yzerman underwent his knee surgery. The team was unbelievably deep on the forwards list; You could have Shanahan-Fedorov-Holmtsrom, Devereaux-Datsyuk-Hull, Robitalle-Larionov-filler, grind line and still win the cup. However I don't think we win the cup with Fischer-Chelios, Dandenault-Duschene as top 2 D pairings. Hasek wouldn't be able to handle Colorado without Lidstrom commanding the blue line.

Favorite player? Always been Homer; his amazing deflection for the game 7 GWG basically lit a fire under the team.

Lidstrom is the only one who was right at his peak/prime that year and if you couple his regular season + playoffs was probably the best player in the world... Though Yzerman had nothing short of a heroic performance in the playoffs that year and I would not have blinked twice if he had won the Conn Smythe.

I think Lidstrom was the best player on that team, and the only one of those Hall of Famers who was truly in his prime.

Conn Smythe could have gone either way. I have no problem with Lidstrom winning it. He was consistently the best player over those 4 playoff series.

Yzerman is my favorite player on the team and of all time.

Are we talking just playoffs here? Tough call for best player. As someone else said, Yzerman was the most valuable player with his leadership playing on one leg, but I would have to go with Dom - he set a record for most shut-outs in the post season, out-goaltended Roy in the WCF, and hung in there when Irbe was standing on his head.

Favourite player was Feds.

Edited by Nev