• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

it blows my mind how bettman still has a job. literally nobody likes him and he brings heat to everyone who supports him. he doesn't give a bag of pucks what product ends up on the ice as long as there is money in the owner's pockets. this is like a bailout where banks survive by taking away a large portion of all their clients money.

The owners like him. That's why he has his job.

#22 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

what will happen is that fans will start hating the owners on the whole, especially if they reject a very fair offer from the nhlpa. then they just look greedy and will be vilified by the media and fans.

Edited by dirtydangles, 14 August 2012 - 05:44 PM.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#23 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

what will happen is that fans will start hating the owners on the whole, especially if they reject a very fair offer from the nhlpa. then they just look greedy and will be vilified by the media and fans.

I agree with this for the most part. The thing I'm wondering is what is the rest of the NHLPA's proposal? They put the side dishes in the article. What's in the meat and potatoes? Guess we'll find out in a few days when the NHL states in full what they do and don't like from the players standpoint. But in general, it seems the players are trying to meet half way and taking a more mature stance than the initial proposal from the NHL. It was kind of like Sacha Baren Cohen wrote the NHL's proposal. Wasn't the NHL's proposal one of his speeches in the Dictator? :lol:

Just make sure the games start on schedule and i get my roster update for NHL13 in a timely manner for a change. Not too much to ask for.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#24 Yzerman191

Yzerman191

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

Maybe this has been mentioned already, but I personally don't see the need for a limit on contract length. If they want to address the issue of circumventing the salary cap by adding on additional years at the end of the contract, just change the rules going forward to make the cap hit for each year be that of the player's salary for that year. That would end the signing bonuses and the cap circumvention, but would still allow players to sign lifelong contracts for the sake of security.

#25 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:35 AM

Contract length limits are an absolute MUST. I hated these 10 year deals when they were first introduced. Zetterberg and Franzen are on the books until what, 2020?

bringit.jpg

#26 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

Contract length limits are an absolute MUST. I hated these 10 year deals when they were first introduced. Zetterberg and Franzen are on the books until what, 2020?

At least Z is still gonna be worth his salary by the end of it. Dude competes.

Maybe this has been mentioned already, but I personally don't see the need for a limit on contract length. If they want to address the issue of circumventing the salary cap by adding on additional years at the end of the contract, just change the rules going forward to make the cap hit for each year be that of the player's salary for that year. That would end the signing bonuses and the cap circumvention, but would still allow players to sign lifelong contracts for the sake of security.

Making it so the cap hit is their actual salary and gettting rid of signing bonuses and front loading could probably get rid of the lifetime contracts. GM's may be more hesitant to dish them out. I still think there should be a 6-7 year max though.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#27 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

What do all you people here that like Bettman think of him now?

#28 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

They especially "like" the way he's handled the debacle in Glendale; at least that's what the "gag order" statements say.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#29 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

Id like to see a one year sit out for players who change teams like in college football.

#30 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

I hope he gets a terrible disease

What do all you people here that like Bettman think of him now?

#31 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

In addition to suckabutt?

#32 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

Bettman is that you?

No, this is Donald Fehr.

below are his extended demands when he received an offer fro nhlpa:

- A salary of $3 million per year to run through completion of collective bargaining after the current CBA expires following the 2011-12 season.
- A salary of $1.5 million for the remainder of this year.
- Approval to hire his brother, Steve, who is currently special counsel to the MLBPA (after 23 years as outside counsel), to an executive position.
- Autonomy relating to all personnel decisions within the union.
- The ability to live in New York even though the PA's offices are in Toronto.
- Permission to co-author a book about baseball with Steve.
- Permission to open a consulting firm, though with the express stipulation that his first priority at all times will be the NHLPA.

No comments needed.

link: http://m.si.com/news...FCFC0DD.cnnsi2b

And, fair CBA - NO CBA.

Edited by ami, 17 August 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#33 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

My honest opinion?

Luxury tax.

Teams with $$$ can spend all they want (albeit a penalty added for going over the 'soft cap').

Low floor cap to appease the welfare cases of the league.

5 year max contracts for players.

It'll resemble MLB, but who the f#*k cares - as long as there's a season, and both sides get what they want.

Oh - and fire Uncle Gary.

Oh - and players get 48% of revenue.

'Evolution' created by Offsides