• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

OK, I can understand the not wanting politics forum. And a couple extremely sensitive people were perhaps upset about the plus/minus button, so now we can only "plus" people so no delicate little flowers get their feelings hurt. But why the kindergarten curse filter? As if that wasn't bad enough, I posted a curse word that I censored out myself, but apparantly the naughty, evil word was still too bad so a mod went and edited my post and deleted it, even though it was already censored...

What is going on here?

#2 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,071 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

The plus/minus system generated more problems than it was worth. Myself and the moderating staff grew tired of said "flowers", others attempting to rack up a negative score, and the clockwork-like routine of a "why am I negged?" topics/PMs about it. The "Like" system, like Facebook's, fixes that. Problem solved.

As far as the curse filter is concerned: As was previously noted in the forum rules I had felt that cursing was acceptable as long as done in moderation and not done for the sake of doing so.

Let's just say it was regularly abused, the member base had been warned to cut it back on several occasions in the past and it didn't change so, yes -- curse filter.

#3 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

As far as the curse filter is concerned: As was previously noted in the forum rules I had felt that cursing was acceptable as long as done in moderation and not done for the sake of doing so.

Let's just say it was regularly abused, the member base had been warned to cut it back on several occasions in the past and it didn't change so, yes -- curse filter.

Fair enough. Though we are all adults here and this is a sports discussion forum, not a serious business forum or something similar. Its how real people talk when they discuss sports at bars, with friends, etc.

Even so, I'm sure even you can admit to the absurdity of the example I posted above though, where a word was already censored, but a certain mod felt the censor was not enough and edited the post to remove the already censored word completely. Why even have a filter then? If the filter isn't "filtery" enough for some (or one) mods.

Edited by sleepwalker, 15 August 2012 - 05:41 PM.

#4 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:54 PM

So why not just let the filter do its job and not try to circumvent it? I edited the word and moved on; you got a reasonable answer to a fair question, you should too.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#5 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:49 PM

So why not just let the filter do its job and not try to circumvent it? I edited the word and moved on; you got a reasonable answer to a fair question, you should too.

The filter would have filtered it to pretty much the exact same thing, so how is posting a censored word circumventing the filter that censors words? (that doesn't even make any sense, think about it) And being that it was already censored, why try to flex your power as it where and for no real reason, further edit things that are already censored?

Obviously it wasn't a problem for any other mod, including the one who was participating in that thread and posted right after me.

And you can knock off the arrogant attitude, telling me I should have just moved on, because you don't like anyone questioning your "authority". I was asking to hear what Matt had to say, not asking for you to come in here and tell me I should basically shut up, because I made you feel insecure.

#6 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

"*"ing out one letter in a word isn't censoring it. If another mod missed it, then that was just one of those things. Doesn't mean it was okay, just means they didn't see it. Maybe they didn't even read your post. And type the word in another post. There are a minimum of 3 letters filtered, not just the one.
My response wasn't meant to be arrogant in the least. I actually find it amusing you're getting so worked up about something so trivial. And if you wanted to hear from Matt and only Matt, you should have PM'd him instead of making an entire thread about it, basically inviting everyone to come in and see how you've been "wronged." I suspect you can express yourself quite well without resorting to unnecessary profanity.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#7 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

OK, fair enough. I'm not worked up over it, just think its silly. Especially since before the forum makeover everyone was free to say whatever they wanted, so long as they weren't attacking someone else, and we were all getting along fine. Now it seems so heavily censored and pc-ified, especially for a sports forum. And I'll be the first to admit, I cursed on here, but I always tried to tone it wayyy down from how I would talk in real life with my buddies talking about hockey or whatever else, and not do it excessively here at LGW.

Also, I didn't realize that 3 letters was the minimum at this forum, (or that there even was a minimum) but in my defense, for as long as I can recall, the standard for censoring typed curse words has been to add a * in the place of the vowel in the curse word. But even if it had said f***ing instead with 3 letters starred instead of one, everyone still knows exactly what I am saying anyway, hence why I find it so silly...

Its all good though, now I know. People were taking cursing too far, hence the filter. There is a three letter minimum for censorship, hence the word deletion. Overly sensitive people were buggin the hell out of Matt about them getting negged, so no more negs, etc... The political forum, I totally understand, no reason to have a politics or religion forum on a hockey site, when all those two topics ever do on any forum is cause arguments which many times degenerate into flames.

#8 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,071 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:54 AM

I wouldn't say the forums have been "PC-ified", just that they've been cleaned up a bit, which does no harm to anyone. If anything it helps the forum appeal to a somewhat wider audience because the profanity is filtered/toned down, the elimination of people feeling alienated by having an opinion neg-bombed, etc.. If people don't agree or like your post then they can reply with such, rather than just handing out a neg.

That, and I can appreciate the ceasing of e-mails from concerned parents of tweens or younger with "HOW CAN YOU HAVE SUCH VULGAR LANGUAGE ON YOUR FORUM. MY SON/DAUGHTER WILL NEVER VISIT HERE YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YURSELF" e-mails. I, too, liken the forum to a virtual sports-bar where people can shoot the -- well, you know -- but it is what it is. The major forum update was a clear opportunity to also update different site policies and procedures, so I took it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users