• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,997 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

Nothing important, just a little speculation for fun. Between Nyquist and Brunner who will have the better season and why?

My take: Brunner is a supposed to be a shoot first guy who should, if he adjusts well to the NHL, have prime opportunities on a line with quality centers like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, or maybe even Helm. Nyquist has the better all around game, but given that he needs to carry the puck to be really effective, I'm guessing he'll produce less than Brunner. On a top six with guys like Flip, D, and Z Nyquist is probably not going to be carrying the puck nearly as often as he'll need to in order to maximize the effectiveness of his skill set.

Edited by kipwinger, 17 August 2012 - 04:38 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#2 wingfan91

wingfan91

Draftee

• 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:18 PM

Brunner has the potential with that filthy wrister to put up 25+ goals this season if he adjusts well and plays on the 1st or 2nd with Pav or Hank. Nyquist, in my opinion, is, as you said, a puck possession player. He is almost unsettlingly calm with the puck in traffic for a kid who's played 18 NHL games. He has that Datsyuk sense where he's able to hold on to the puck just long enough for someone to get free. I could definitely see Nyquist putting up 60(12-18 goals/42-48 assists) points this season if he plays mostly top six minutes, his chemistry with Pav was superb for a rookie, unfortunately he's not shoot first.

#3 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

Impossible to tell.

#4 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

Brunner spent the last 4 seasons playing in the Swiss Elite League (a league that is seen as a notch below the AHL).

Nyquist by default.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#5 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

Brunner spent the last 4 seasons playing in the Swiss Elite League (a league that is seen as a notch below the AHL).

Nyquist by default.

This is a good call. Helm netted a bunch thru juniors and he now has to have the stars align to score in the NHL. Brunner is unproven, where Nyquist seems to be a poor man's Datsyuk already, which is saying a lot.

#6 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

Nyquist as of now. I mean realistically Brunner could start the season in GR with how many forwards we have. Nyquist too for that matter but I think Nyquist holds the edge overall having played North American Hockey.

#7 wingfan91

wingfan91

Draftee

• 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

Watching this video makes is hard to NOT get excited about Brunner, assuming his game will translate to the smaller, more physical ice surface of North American hockey. To argue his level of skill, regardless of the league he plays in(which most major hockey gurus rank ahead of the AHL), is foolish. He has the shot, he has the speed, and he has the hands. You can argue he's going to "get killed" by NHL dmen cutting to the middle like he does, but he's going to be backing off defensemen, save a select few shutdown dmen(Weber, Doughty, Chara, etc.) regardless of league because of his wheels. It wasn't a fluke that he netted a point per game in the WC's, more than Abs, as many as Pav and Franzen on a much poorer team. What I love about this video too, is that it goes by season, and you can clearly see his refinement as a player, from pure sniper/speed, to developing a great set of hands.

1:25 is one of the filthiest goals I've seen. Period.

Edited by wingfan91, 17 August 2012 - 07:28 PM.

#8 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

I hope that Brunner gets the REAL chance to prove if he's or not top 6 forward. I don't know why but I think that Brunner will be a GREAT addition.
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#9 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

I'll be surprised and impressed (and pleased!) if Brunner holds down his spot in the top-6 through the whole season. (Assuming there is a whole season....) Nyquist is the smart choice. He may not be a pure scorer like Brunner, and, indeed, Brunner may very well outscore him this season. But Nyquist is the better all-around player at this point in time. He knows, and has excelled in, the North American game. He's "The Red Wings' Next Euro-Wizard." Great hands, great vision, great playmaking ability, great two-way game, great hockey IQ. At the very least, we'll get great D from him and a whole lot of assists (IMHO). My Monopoly money's on the Swede.

Edited by Dabura, 17 August 2012 - 08:08 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#10 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

Brunners got hands, but no way he gets that much ice in the NHL.

#11 luvmnger

luvmnger

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

i think they will match up points very closely...brunner with more goals.

say over/under 34 points 1st season

consider the "down the road" aspect....

brunner-nyquist-pullkinen line...

mmmmm.....
Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#12 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

The thought of Brunner and Helm on the same line almost gives me goosebumps.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#13 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

i think they will match up points very closely...brunner with more goals.

say over/under 34 points 1st season

consider the "down the road" aspect....

brunner-nyquist-pullkinen line...

mmmmm.....

This line is 3 guys under 6'. Not gonna be a good combo.

#14 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

I'll be happy if they can both maintain a regular spot in the lineup theoughout the entire season. The potential is certainly there for both players, but transitioning to the NHL for a full 82 is a task in itself.

#15 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

Watching this video makes is hard to NOT get excited about Brunner, assuming his game will translate to the smaller, more physical ice surface of North American hockey. To argue his level of skill, regardless of the league he plays in(which most major hockey gurus rank ahead of the AHL), is foolish. He has the shot, he has the speed, and he has the hands. You can argue he's going to "get killed" by NHL dmen cutting to the middle like he does, but he's going to be backing off defensemen, save a select few shutdown dmen(Weber, Doughty, Chara, etc.) regardless of league because of his wheels. It wasn't a fluke that he netted a point per game in the WC's, more than Abs, as many as Pav and Franzen on a much poorer team. What I love about this video too, is that it goes by season, and you can clearly see his refinement as a player, from pure sniper/speed, to developing a great set of hands.

what gurus would that be? i have never once heard anyone say the skill level of the swiss league is ahead of the ahl.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#16 Sentell

Sentell

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

I think theres only room for one of them and Id take Nyquist

#17 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:50 PM

It would be great if they both played amazing and displaced Franzen's lazy ass from the top 6 and made him expendable. Thats my dream.

The REAL question is: what number do you think Brunner should wear? 96 belongs to homer whether or not he plays. its just too soon to recirculate #96. Id like to see him in 88, i think it would look cool.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#18 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

my expectations..
brunner starts on the wings gets a real chance. fails goes to ahl.
nyquist 40pt season

my wishes
brunner becomes a superstar sniper
nyquist becomes datsyuk
smith becomes lids

#19 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:48 AM

Impossible to tell.

I agree with this, but to enlighten the "just a little speculation for fun" as the OP stated I will elaborate further :cheesy:

To me Brunner is a complete black ace, we have NO clue what will happen at all, hopes are high but Im not sure he's able to step up and compete with the mule?! Nyquist has been in NHL games and I like what he brings to the table so if Brunner=Nyquist at very least Ill be happy as hell.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#20 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:59 AM

nyquist is the favorite right now because we've seen him play in the nhl and he looked good. brunner... well we just gotta hope his goals translate to the nhl