• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

Nyquist vs. Brunner

Rate this topic

Nothing important, just a little speculation for fun. Between Nyquist and Brunner who will have the better season and why?

My take: Brunner is a supposed to be a shoot first guy who should, if he adjusts well to the NHL, have prime opportunities on a line with quality centers like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, or maybe even Helm. Nyquist has the better all around game, but given that he needs to carry the puck to be really effective, I'm guessing he'll produce less than Brunner. On a top six with guys like Flip, D, and Z Nyquist is probably not going to be carrying the puck nearly as often as he'll need to in order to maximize the effectiveness of his skill set.

Edited by kipwinger

Brunner has the potential with that filthy wrister to put up 25+ goals this season if he adjusts well and plays on the 1st or 2nd with Pav or Hank. Nyquist, in my opinion, is, as you said, a puck possession player. He is almost unsettlingly calm with the puck in traffic for a kid who's played 18 NHL games. He has that Datsyuk sense where he's able to hold on to the puck just long enough for someone to get free. I could definitely see Nyquist putting up 60(12-18 goals/42-48 assists) points this season if he plays mostly top six minutes, his chemistry with Pav was superb for a rookie, unfortunately he's not shoot first.

Guest The Axe

Brunner spent the last 4 seasons playing in the Swiss Elite League (a league that is seen as a notch below the AHL).

Nyquist by default.

This is a good call. Helm netted a bunch thru juniors and he now has to have the stars align to score in the NHL. Brunner is unproven, where Nyquist seems to be a poor man's Datsyuk already, which is saying a lot.

Watching this video makes is hard to NOT get excited about Brunner, assuming his game will translate to the smaller, more physical ice surface of North American hockey. To argue his level of skill, regardless of the league he plays in(which most major hockey gurus rank ahead of the AHL), is foolish. He has the shot, he has the speed, and he has the hands. You can argue he's going to "get killed" by NHL dmen cutting to the middle like he does, but he's going to be backing off defensemen, save a select few shutdown dmen(Weber, Doughty, Chara, etc.) regardless of league because of his wheels. It wasn't a fluke that he netted a point per game in the WC's, more than Abs, as many as Pav and Franzen on a much poorer team. What I love about this video too, is that it goes by season, and you can clearly see his refinement as a player, from pure sniper/speed, to developing a great set of hands.

1:25 is one of the filthiest goals I've seen. Period.

Edited by wingfan91

I'll be surprised and impressed (and pleased!) if Brunner holds down his spot in the top-6 through the whole season. (Assuming there is a whole season....) Nyquist is the smart choice. He may not be a pure scorer like Brunner, and, indeed, Brunner may very well outscore him this season. But Nyquist is the better all-around player at this point in time. He knows, and has excelled in, the North American game. He's "The Red Wings' Next Euro-Wizard." Great hands, great vision, great playmaking ability, great two-way game, great hockey IQ. At the very least, we'll get great D from him and a whole lot of assists (IMHO). My Monopoly money's on the Swede.

Edited by Dabura

i think they will match up points very closely...brunner with more goals.

say over/under 34 points 1st season

consider the "down the road" aspect....

brunner-nyquist-pullkinen line...

mmmmm.....

Guest The Axe

i think they will match up points very closely...brunner with more goals.

say over/under 34 points 1st season

consider the "down the road" aspect....

brunner-nyquist-pullkinen line...

mmmmm.....

This line is 3 guys under 6'. Not gonna be a good combo.

Watching this video makes is hard to NOT get excited about Brunner, assuming his game will translate to the smaller, more physical ice surface of North American hockey. To argue his level of skill, regardless of the league he plays in(which most major hockey gurus rank ahead of the AHL), is foolish. He has the shot, he has the speed, and he has the hands. You can argue he's going to "get killed" by NHL dmen cutting to the middle like he does, but he's going to be backing off defensemen, save a select few shutdown dmen(Weber, Doughty, Chara, etc.) regardless of league because of his wheels. It wasn't a fluke that he netted a point per game in the WC's, more than Abs, as many as Pav and Franzen on a much poorer team. What I love about this video too, is that it goes by season, and you can clearly see his refinement as a player, from pure sniper/speed, to developing a great set of hands.

what gurus would that be? i have never once heard anyone say the skill level of the swiss league is ahead of the ahl.

It would be great if they both played amazing and displaced Franzen's lazy ass from the top 6 and made him expendable. Thats my dream.

The REAL question is: what number do you think Brunner should wear? 96 belongs to homer whether or not he plays. its just too soon to recirculate #96. Id like to see him in 88, i think it would look cool.

Impossible to tell.

I agree with this, but to enlighten the "just a little speculation for fun" as the OP stated I will elaborate further :cheesy:

To me Brunner is a complete black ace, we have NO clue what will happen at all, hopes are high but Im not sure he's able to step up and compete with the mule?! Nyquist has been in NHL games and I like what he brings to the table so if Brunner=Nyquist at very least Ill be happy as hell.

It's hard to imagine Brunner showing even half of what I am hoping to see from Nyquist - I just think Nyquist has the chops to be a first line, two-way difference maker. Brunner/Swiss league is just a huge unknown variable to me (spoiled a bit by Brunnstrom/Leino in all honesty) .

I hope/believe Smith/ Nyquist have the talent to make a run at the Calder... crazy if Brunner is there too.

I don't have the link but there is a ranking of the leagues around the world. It starts with NHL noted at 100 and then khl, Sweden, finish.... Swiss league is more or less at 70. Ahl something like 55 so...only numbers but it seems that Brunner's played in a not so bad area.

brunner seems to be a good add to our team. he has some good hands, nice speed and a great shot. but am i the only one, who sees a little issue in his skating abilities? i hope im not right, but he might look like a concussion candidate too...

by the way. take a look at the stats, joe thornton and rick nash had in the swiss league in the lockout 04/05 comparing to damien...

2004/05 HC Davos-Swiss Games-40 Goals-10 Assist-44 Points-54

PIM-80 (Thornton)

2004/05 HC Davos-Swiss Games-44 Goals-26 Assist-20 Points-46 PIM-83 (Nash)

2010/11 EV Zug Games-45 Goals-24 Assist-36 Points-60 PIM (?) (Brunner)

brunner seems to be a good add to our team. he has some good hands, nice speed and a great shot. but am i the only one, who sees a little issue in his skating abilities? i hope im not right, but he might look like a concussion candidate too...

by the way. take a look at the stats, joe thornton and rick nash had in the swiss league in the lockout 04/05 comparing to damien...

2004/05 HC Davos-Swiss Games-40 Goals-10 Assist-44 Points-54

PIM-80 (Thornton)

2004/05 HC Davos-Swiss Games-44 Goals-26 Assist-20 Points-46 PIM-83 (Nash)

2010/11 EV Zug Games-45 Goals-24 Assist-36 Points-60 PIM (?) (Brunner)

He'll definitely have to stop cutting into the middle of the ice like he seems to do, play a little more north-south hockey, but I don't really think he'll have too much trouble adapting. With his speed, skating ability, and wrister he'll have all the chances he wants, even without his nifty toe drags.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest Johnz96

It would be great if they both played amazing and displaced Franzen's lazy ass from the top 6 and made him expendable. Thats my dream.

The REAL question is: what number do you think Brunner should wear? 96 belongs to homer whether or not he plays. its just too soon to recirculate #96. Id like to see him in 88, i think it would look cool.

My dream is that we get rid of our top goal scorer who also happens to be one of the biggest forwards on a team that lacks size because I hate him for no good reason and perceive him to be lazy because if he wasn't he would easily score twice as many goals as he does. We can give Brunner 93