• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BottleOfSmoke

Player Haters (not so) Anonymous

Rate this topic

Actually I have one more that I'm ashamed to admit. I guess in this case I just tell myself that emotions are inherently irrational but I remember getting extra pissed off whenever Larionov took an untimely penalty. Now, I understand in my head that he definitely wasn't the only one who took untimely penalties but for some reason I just couldn't have enough haterade whenever he in particular did so.

You do realize what your referring here can't actually be referable. Cujo, only played 4 games in those playoffs. Other goalies played more then him so you can't refer to that and even in the series Cujo got outplayed by Giguerre. Our team didn't choke, we had chances that we're unbeleivable saves by Giguerre, he stepped up when he needed to and Cujo just couldn't compete at the same level.

Just because Giguerre outplayed CuJo doesn't make CuJo a choke....Giggy outplayed every other goalie in the playoffs and won a Conn Smythe in a losing effort in the finals...The Red Wings scored 6 goals in 4 games and gave up 10...thats only 2.5 GA per game and only 1.5 Goals For...not exactly choking, but the Wings need to score more than 1.5 Goals...even when Hasek was in goal...

All I can think of when I read the title of this thread is this..

theplayerhaters.jpg

On a more serious note, I never cared for Robert Lang.. And I have trouble liking Mikael Samuelsson but he has a knack for scoring at the right moment which is usually enough for me to put up with him.

Relying on anything from "SI" to back your point of view is rather weak when considering how poorly "SI" covers anything relating to the NHL.

I bet you get your salsa recipes from "Popular Mechanics"?

I should clarify that I don't like Wendel Clark. He jumped the gun on too many fights and was a dirty player at times. But he was a great fighter who held his own against top heavies like Probert and Wilson. Don't know why he felt the need to cheat in so many of his bouts.

I just didn't understand Carman saying that Clark had no skill or was somehow nothing more than a goon. That's not true. Like I said, he was a very good player and scored a lot of big goals for the Leafs. He carried them in those '93 playoffs. That was why I took exception to his post.

I have an undenialble hatred for Hasek. Every time someone mentions him being a wing or winning the cup, I get twitchy. It all started when he was with Buffalo. A friend of mine won a " day at the rink" with the Sabres and his 9 year old son was a HUGE Dom fan. The kid only went to see Dom...he talked about it for 5 weeks straight ( I worked with his dad and played hockey on a co ed team with him. Anyway, day at the rink comes, Dave and his kid Tyler go. He takes a poster of " The Dominator" with him and cheers Dom for 2 hours straight. The kid is so excited he barfed the morning before because he was gonna meet Dom. At the end of the skate, he is supposed to meet Hasek and Hasek LEAVES the ice. Finally the " day at the rink sponsor go back to the rooms and get Dom to come back out and Dom is pissed.....he said his leg was bothering him, was speaking in czech, wouldn't sign the poster...generally bein the biggest d* ever. I hated him from that moment on. I had heard he was very good with kids prior but that just sent me into a tailspin.

Once he got to Detroit, I WANTED to like him....but he was such a prima Donna. Even when he played well, I'd find myself secretly loathing him or thinking " why can't you wear a normal helmet??" I nearly lost my cheese in 08 when we were playing Nashville and he couldn't stop a beach ball the 1st two games. I cant explain the joy i felt when Ozzie came in...lol. Anyway...still I don't like Dom ( obviously) but I get that he was brilliant here at times. Ick.

Edited by Motown4013

I have a couple. Avery for being a douchenozzle in general. Big Bert. I'm glad I got to see him as a Wing and thus hear him in interviews and media and know he sincerely feels awful for the hit on Steve Moore. His apology I have no doubt is heartfelt. He is a decent man. Still, I just can't embrace him the same way I do others. The one that always bugged me was Jamie Macoun winning in Detroit and getting his name on the cup in 1998. I was what I'd say was a passing acquaintance with Pat LaFontaine at Lakeland Arena out in Waterford as our paths crossed often enough back in the day. Everyone there including me (we're a year apart) thought he was a god. He was never the same after Macoun mother****ed him with a stick to the jaw right after LaFontaine was traded to Buffalo. We weren't pals but it still felt kind of personal in a local clan (not Klan) kind of way.

At losing and wasting the minimal talent he had in the penalty box? Yeah quite a bad ass.

I don't know if you're basing your opinion on the 12 games he played for the wings, never actually saw him play, or are trolling, but you're way off on Clark.

Wendell Clark's biggest shortcoming was that his body couldn't hold up to his style of play and he was constantly injured.

I don't know if you're basing your opinion on the 12 games he played for the wings, never actually saw him play, or are trolling, but you're way off on Clark.

Wendell Clark's biggest shortcoming was that his body couldn't hold up to his style of play and he was constantly injured.

Just trying to justify my mostly irrational hate of Wendel Clark. I'm partly joking, Wendel was a hard working and talented player no doubt, but I do think he's a bit overrated. Plus I just found SI's comparison to Burrows hysterical.

This thread asked for ex wings that you dislike and are popular, and Wendel Clark was mine, I have a feeling if he spent 30% of his career in the penalty box with the wings we wouldn't be too happy, I know I wouldn't want one of our best forwards to be taking that many penalties and giving the other team an advantage.

Lang, Lebda, Lilja, Avery, Bert (initially), and so far, Tootoo. Little punk bastard.

Don't hate Legace, but I really lost a lot of respect for him when he went on camera after every game and denigrated himself - glad to see him go in the end.

Federov for a while, until I remembered what he did for the club when his heart was in it. Ericsson for a while, when he couldn't be on the ice without screwing up (now I just don't like him very much and think he's way overpaid).

Kopecky for being a little tool. Dave Lewis for obvious reasons. Sammy for not being able to hit an open freaking net. Williams for similar reasons, especially the 2nd time around.

Wow, that's more than I thought it would be.

I have players I don't really care for, but my hatred is reserved for a select few:

1) Bertuzzi - still don't like him.

2) Chelios - Took me 3 years to get used to him.

3) Derian Hatcher - SO happy he left almost immediately.

4) Uwe Krupp - absolute waste of skin

5) Tootoo - he'll be the second third coming of Bert to me; I'll probably never accept him in a Wings sweater.

5) Tootoo - he'll be the second third coming of Bert to me; I'll probably never accept him in a Wings sweater.

I think a lot of Wings fans will change their opinion on Tootoo when he starts doing the s***kicker's Waltz in the Joe next seson.

On topic, though, I would say the only Wings player I didn't like was Jason Woolley. I never really liked him as a Wing. The only Wings/ex-Wings players I ever hated was Avery, but that didn't start until his LA days...

Edited by Wingsfan72

I think a lot of Wings fans will change their opinion on Tootoo when he starts doing the s***kicker's Waltz in the Joe next seson.

On topic, though, I would say the only Wings player I didn't like was Jason Woolley. I never really liked him as a Wing. The only Wings/ex-Wings players I ever hated was Avery, but that didn't start until his LA days...

It will depend greatly on if that waltz gives his partner time to realize he's even being asked to dance.

Name former/current Wings that I hate(d) without pulling any punches? Ok. In no particular order:

1. Jason Woolley- Was never a fan.

2. Jason Williams- Soft, had some tools but never became anything relevant. Never liked him.

3. Robert Lang- Lazy defensively. Didn't play with a lot of heart, imo. Was happy when he left.

4. Cory Emmerton- Can't stand him. Soft as butter. Doesn't really do a lot offensively. Doesn't sacrifice the body to block shots. Trade him away, please.

5. Jiri Hudler- So happy he's gone. He had his moments. Played decent in 2008 when we won. Didn't mind him all that much then. Never liked him after he bolted. Soft as hell and irrelevant far too often.

6. Ville Leino- Never fit in with Detroit. Happy we got rid of him. Too one-dimensional.

7. Ray Whitney- Just a bad fit with Detroit.

8. Uwe Kruup- Obviously.

9. Tomas Kopecky- Wow, so glad he's gone. Always got his ass kicked when he fought. Showed some offensive potential, but hasn't turned into anyone notable since leaving.

10. Jakub Kindl- He's got some potential, but he's just one that I'll never like. Don't like him.

11. Johan Franzen- Had an incredible postseason in 2008. He's been a major floater the last few years. He rarely plays with any kind of physicality, when he clearly has the tools to play that way. Trade him for a legit power forward that has a pair of balls and commitment to showing up every game and giving 110%.

Flame away.

Name former/current Wings that I hate(d) without pulling any punches? Ok. In no particular order:

1. Jason Woolley- Was never a fan.

2. Jason Williams- Soft, had some tools but never became anything relevant. Never liked him.

3. Robert Lang- Lazy defensively. Didn't play with a lot of heart, imo. Was happy when he left.

4. Cory Emmerton- Can't stand him. Soft as butter. Doesn't really do a lot offensively. Doesn't sacrifice the body to block shots. Trade him away, please.

5. Jiri Hudler- So happy he's gone. He had his moments. Played decent in 2008 when we won. Didn't mind him all that much then. Never liked him after he bolted. Soft as hell and irrelevant far too often.

6. Ville Leino- Never fit in with Detroit. Happy we got rid of him. Too one-dimensional.

7. Ray Whitney- Just a bad fit with Detroit.

8. Uwe Kruup- Obviously.

9. Tomas Kopecky- Wow, so glad he's gone. Always got his ass kicked when he fought. Showed some offensive potential, but hasn't turned into anyone notable since leaving.

10. Jakub Kindl- He's got some potential, but he's just one that I'll never like. Don't like him.

11. Johan Franzen- Had an incredible postseason in 2008. He's been a major floater the last few years. He rarely plays with any kind of physicality, when he clearly has the tools to play that way. Trade him for a legit power forward that has a pair of balls and commitment to showing up every game and giving 110%.

Flame away.

Kopecky is a good one I didn't think of.

He used to frustrate the hell out of me when in Detroit, then I've been baffled by his good fortune ever since. He is the Homer Simpson of the hockey world, stumbling into one great situation after another in spite of his mediocrity.

Williams' head is kinda pumpkin-like. That has to count for something.

Like, you're a player, and you're playing against the Williams Era Wings, and you're looking down at the puck...and then you look up, and--HOLY S***!!! IS THAT GUY'S HEAD A PUM...wait, no, it's definitely not a pumpkin! (And by this point Datsyuk has picked his pocket and yadda yadda.)

I'm just saying.

Kopecky is a good one I didn't think of.

He used to frustrate the hell out of me when in Detroit, then I've been baffled by his good fortune ever since. He is the Homer Simpson of the hockey world, stumbling into one great situation after another in spite of his mediocrity.

He's come across some cash since he left, but I don't feel like he's playing all that much better than he did in Detroit. Had a good year in Chicago, and then barely managed 30 points last year.

He's come across some cash since he left, but I don't feel like he's playing all that much better than he did in Detroit. Had a good year in Chicago, and then barely managed 30 points last year.

Actually that's exactly my point.

He seems to be the luckiest hockey player on the planet. I didn't watch many Hawks games but it seems like when I did, Hossa would carry the puck up ice, deke some defenseman, get off a great shot as everyone piled on the goalie, then Kopecky would slam home the rebound sitting in front of a wide open net. Of course falling down as he was doing it.

I don't think he's a particularly good player but he ends up with Hossa in Chicago, then gets a 4 year $3 million contract in Florida. With the Hawks he got icetime his play didn't really warrant, and with Florida he gets a 4 year contract his play doesn't really warrant.