• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
puckloo39

Formula One comes to Austin Texas

Rate this topic

Here is a really cool video of Formula One racer David Coulthard introducing Texas and the US to Formula One racing. The new track, going in down by our beautiful international airport south of town, is first class and cost a LOT of money. This video did, too, I am sure.. but shows some gorgeous footage of Austin and the track in progress.

I am not a big fan, but i have to admit this is pretty exciting for the city and the sport, if you're into it.

Edited by puckloo39

I'm a member on a motorsports forum, and some of the members there have been posting updates on the track construction. Seems like the track is about ready for paving and they are putting up grandstands on the main straight. It's going to be North America's first purpose built F1 circuit. Should be exciting when/if they turn off the start lights come November (there seems to be a bit of a dispute between the race promoters and Formula One Management over the contract of the event, but it seems to be resolved or about to be resolved).

I've been lucky enough to go to two GPs at Silverstone - I won tickets in 2010 and my wife bought me tickets for my 40th this year. If anyone in that area has a chance to go, I would say go. The tickets might be expensive (certainly are in the UK), but who knows how long the race will be in Austin given F1s potted history around the US. The noise of the cars, the way they corner and the atmosphere of the fans are something to be experienced.

Eccelstone wants his F1 lavish and rich. He doesn't want the average man to attend.

That said, I have my reservation IN HAND for Austin TX. It's only 9 short hours of driving away from here in arkansas, and most of that is at TEXAS SPEED LIMITS. And you thought I-75 from Detroit out to Troy was a racetrack...

Eccelstone wants his F1 lavish and rich. He doesn't want the average man to attend.

Thats not quite true - he wants his race fees lavish and rich, he doesn't care who attends. So whether its Silverstone and its 115,000 hardcore F1 fans paying £200+ for a Sunday ticket, or a scattering of fans in China or Bahrain with the government picking up the tab for the "prestige" of hosting a Grand Prix - as long as Bernie gets paid, thats all that matters.

Great job America! Track is excellent, and I was so so pleased to see the stands absolutely rammed with fans. I know a lot of F1 fans around the world were concerned how it would be received given this is the 8th circuit to host F1 in the USA, but to see 125,000 people there was amazing.

And you were treated to an excellent race! Seeing Hamilton and Vettel going at it hammer and tongs for 50 laps was epic :)

Now onto Brazil were hopefully Alonso can deny FingerBoy

That was a really good race. I didn't go, but I know a few people who did, including my dad and a distant relative who traveled from SoCal for it.

I will definitely be attending the MotoGP race in April though, much more affordable at $90 for weekend GA access. Plus I can just make the daily drive out there, no need for lodging.

Edited by rrasco