• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cusimano_brothers

Junior Hockey Players Forming Union.

Rate this topic

From Toronto Star:

A process that’s been more than a year in the making could change the face of junior hockey in Canada forever.

After working in anonymity for almost 14 months, the creation of a Canadian Hockey League Players Association, a de facto union to protect the interests of more than 1,300 junior hockey players across Canada, is close to complete.

The initial period will be pretty rough but I for one applaud this effort.

I don't know if this is money related or what the deal is but between him playing seasons playing for Moose Jaw, I ended up seeing Dustin Boyd at the bar and I was the one buying the rounds cause he got paid $92 every 2 weeks. I laughed at him pretty good and told him in a couple years he'd be making 20x the amount of money I do...

I scanned the article quickly and didn't see much about the money, but I like the education part. That is something that should be concentrated on for young guys. I really hope that they don't increase the wages for the guys too much, maybe up to $100-$200 per week so they have money for movies and entertainment, but the last thing we need to see is an increase in ticket prices. I have to drive to Brandon to see a WHL game and that already costs $40 ish in gas + $25-$30 for tickets and that's about what i can afford these days going to about 1 per year. CHL is some of the best hockey to watch though.

Hopefully this union thing works out and benefits the players and the league.

From Toronto Star:

Former NHL tough guy Georges Laraque has picked a new fight: battling for the rights of more than 1,300 junior hockey players in Canada and the United States.

“Today, I’m proud to have been named the executive director of the new players association of the Canadian hockey league,” Laraque posted on Twitter Tuesday.

Guest RedWingsDad

I don't know if this is money related or what the deal is but between him playing seasons playing for Moose Jaw, I ended up seeing Dustin Boyd at the bar and I was the one buying the rounds cause he got paid $92 every 2 weeks. I laughed at him pretty good and told him in a couple years he'd be making 20x the amount of money I do...

I scanned the article quickly and didn't see much about the money, but I like the education part. That is something that should be concentrated on for young guys. I really hope that they don't increase the wages for the guys too much, maybe up to $100-$200 per week so they have money for movies and entertainment, but the last thing we need to see is an increase in ticket prices. I have to drive to Brandon to see a WHL game and that already costs $40 ish in gas + $25-$30 for tickets and that's about what i can afford these days going to about 1 per year. CHL is some of the best hockey to watch though.

Hopefully this union thing works out and benefits the players and the league.

If player salaries increase, ticket prices will increase... no doubt about it.

Edited by RedWingsDad

From Toronto Star:

The

CHL has fired back.

“We are of the opinion that no junior hockey league in the world has made more changes to support the best interest of its players both on and off the ice as the CHL,” David Branch, CHL president and OHL commissioner, said in a statement highlighting everything from drug education and anti-doping programs to concussion management, charitable works, scholarships and initiatives to combat emotional and physical abuse.

The increase in ticket prices, from what I've read, would start out as $1.00 - $1.50. If nothing else, I think the CHL would have to become more accountable in the handling of their "employees".

Taylor Hall, drafted first overall by the Edmonton Oilers in 2010 after a three-year career in the OHL, said juniors deserve their fair share.

“Junior teams make a lot of money, and when I played for the Windsor Spitfires they were awesome to me. I had a great time and can’t say enough good things about them,” Hall told reporters in Edmonton this week after signing a

seven-year, $42-million contract extension with the Oilers. “But I was making $44 a week. It is a little bit unfair.”

From what we've read, "awesome" has been the "Spitfires way".

From Toronto Star:

The fledgling Canadian Hockey League Players Association is poised to take legal action against the world’s top hockey development league alleging anti-competitive conduct, the Star has learned.

About 200 players on the CHL’s eight U.S.-based teams have strong grounds for an anti-trust case against the league, says a legal opinion prepared for the union and obtained by the Star.

If player salaries increase, ticket prices will increase... no doubt about it.

In the NHL ticket prices increased even after a 24% rollback in salaries.

Owners may use this as an excuse to raise ticket prices, but really prices are determined more by what the market will bear than anything else.

There has been a hinting that something was coming; the first volley has now hit the fan. from Toronto Star:

A 19-year-old hockey player in Nova Scotia has filed the first in what could become a string of union-supported claims for unpaid wages against

Canadian Hockey League teams.

Joshua Desmond, formerly a defenceman for the Halifax Mooseheads of the

Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, filed a complaint with Nova Scotia’s Labour Standards Division last Friday alleging he is owed “approximately $12,000” based on average hours of work between August of last year and April of this year.

There has been a hinting that something was coming; the first volley has now hit the fan. from Toronto Star:

I actually know a few guys who have played for the Mooseheads over the years and none of them have anything but good things to say. What the players get in actual cash per week pales in comparison to what they actually get. The Mooseheads pay for famalies to come visit as well as tudors and so on. This lawsuit will amount to nothing.

I hope this is a positive trend; from Toronto Star:

The head of Canada’s first junior hockey team to join a union says he welcomes the help in making his players’ lives better.

“This organization understands the decision of those kids and respects their decision,” says Ronald Thibault, governor of the Sherbrooke Phoenix. Sufficient numbers of his players have signed membership cards to join a group that aims to unionize junior hockey players across the country.

The key word is "respects"; unions both respect and protect their membership.

Thibault says the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League provides very well for its players already but, “if somebody wants to help us out and make it better for the kids then they’re welcome to come.”

There is that whole Derek Clarke/Randy Gumbley thing going on. If it's true...

Laraque always seemed like a dummy to me now this helps confirm it. Too many blows to the head I guess. Maybe he can join an organization led by Alan Eagelson or Bernie Madoff next.

I've never had that opinion of him. Having read his autobiography, my opinion of him was validated in his book: he's an very intelligent person who, when seeing an important cause that he believes in, will support it and do whatever it takes to help make it a success. The fact that he was asked to be "the big name" in this was great; the fact that he had to put up some of his own money is troubling.

Perhaps you're thinking of Donald Brashear.

I've never had that opinion of him. Having read his autobiography, my opinion of him was validated in his book: he's an very intelligent person who, when seeing an important cause that he believes in, will support it and do whatever it takes to help make it a success. The fact that he was asked to be "the big name" in this was great; the fact that he had to put up some of his own money is troubling.

Perhaps you're thinking of Donald Brashear.

We can agree on this: Laraque was smart enough to get out of this CHLPA thing.

I also read that Josh Desmond (The cause of the lawsuit against the Mooseheads) has dropped his suit.