• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:18 AM

Messier or Shanny are good shouts. Don't think Shanny would be offered it though, just something about him doesn't seem to fit as commish to me but Messier is pretty much perfect for it. As ogreslayer said though, it'll be that dude in the suit...

This is brought up a lot when it comes to replacing old Bettman. Being commissioner entails more than ust giving awkward stuttering interviews and handing over the cup to a new team each summer. It's a high demand position requiring an educational background in law and labor relations. I don't think any former player except maybe Ken Dryden could make a crack at it.

Thing is it only has to involve law and labour relations in terms of hockey. Any career player and coach/gm/league official could do it as they've lived it. Plus there will be advisors for that stuff. I think it'll be good to have a commish who can provide a much needed link between hockey talent (players, coaches, etc), and hockey businessmen. Think how much smoother negotiations with the NHLPA would be if a former player was commish?

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#22 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:48 AM

Don Cherry, Messier, Lidas, Yzerman, The Great One, George Parros after this career just to name a few.

Guy failed at the cursive part this should not be enough reason, to can his ass once and for all. He is bad for the game, doesn't respect its integrity nor its employees.

I really love how Vancouver and we boo'ed the crap out of him during the Stanley Cup celebrations.

I think LA is the only recent time I remember him not getting his normal boo's during the receiving of the cup. Basically everyone just hates the jackoff.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#23 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,908 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:53 AM

I second Big Willie.

Lawyer? Check.
Knows hockey? Check.
Fighter? Check.
Knows the words to Itsy Bitsy Spider? Check.

Perfect man for the job.

#24 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:58 AM

Scotty Bowman

I think the players, and owners would really respect him as a commish.

Eff Chicago

Eff Boston

#25 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

Pierre McGuire. He knows more about hockey than anyone else in the world.
Don't believe me? Just ask him.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#26 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:01 AM

Sean Avery

Sidney Crosby

Julius Caesar

#27 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,521 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:02 AM

You don't need to know hockey to run a league. It's a business proposition. I really don't think any former player (except for Ken Dryden, like someone said already) would be the next comissioner. It would likely be some CEO or other corporate head because of their expertise.

I know NHL profits have gone up under Bettman, but it's undermining the integrity of the league. At the very least we need a commissioner who can keep the league running every year. His labor relations are terrible.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#28 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:31 AM

Most of the responses in this thread deserve Bud Selig as the new commish.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#29 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

David Stern.

Not a bad thing really, he's the polar opposite of Bettman. Can you imagine very year the Wings, Leafs, Habs, Rangers and Bruins in the hunt for the Stanley Cup? It's better than seeing the Devils and the Coyotes as conference finalists.

bringit.jpg

#30 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

David Stern.

Not a bad thing really, he's the polar opposite of Bettman. Can you imagine very year the Wings, Leafs, Habs, Rangers and Bruins in the hunt for the Stanley Cup? It's better than seeing the Devils and the Coyotes as conference finalists.

Yep, God forbid that the teams that earn their way to the finals be allowed to play due to their markets. Much better for the fans in Edmonton or Calgary to know their team has no chance to win due to being in smaller markets.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#31 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

Maybe they could do some sort of commissioner/vice-commissioner type of thing..? Have someone who knows the law/business/politics/whatever be commish then have a very knowledgable former player as vice-commish..

Idk, just an idea.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#32 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

Anyone other than uncle Gary
IPB Image

#33 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

All I care about is that it was a former player or GM or somebody involved in the game. Somebody needs to care about the sport itself when all the money talks are being thrown around. I'm not saying that this person should side with the players at all, its just somebody to remind the owners what is realistically an option when negotiating with the players.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#34 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

You don't need to know hockey to run a league. It's a business proposition. I really don't think any former player (except for Ken Dryden, like someone said already) would be the next comissioner. It would likely be some CEO or other corporate head because of their expertise.

I know NHL profits have gone up under Bettman, but it's undermining the integrity of the league. At the very least we need a commissioner who can keep the league running every year. His labor relations are terrible.

I strongly disagree with the bolded part. I believe that if you're going to run a sport then it should be something that you actually know. You shouldn't be in charge of rule changes and such things unless you've actually played the game and know WHY changes need to be made. Coaches would be fine candidates as well. Someone like Scotty Bowman as mentioned would be good. My personal favorite from my list prior would be Messier. Either way, the league should be someone that the NHL, NHLPA and fans can all RESPECT.

I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post though.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#35 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

I strongly disagree with the bolded part. I believe that if you're going to run a sport then it should be something that you actually know. You shouldn't be in charge of rule changes and such things unless you've actually played the game and know WHY changes need to be made. Coaches would be fine candidates as well. Someone like Scotty Bowman as mentioned would be good. My personal favorite from my list prior would be Messier. Either way, the league should be someone that the NHL, NHLPA and fans can all RESPECT.

I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post though.

Ya I don't think a lot of people would boo scotty or mark out of respect during a cup presentation. you always get a few uneducated assholes though.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#36 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

It seems like Bettman has good business acumen. Not everything has been a success but the league's revenue has greatly increased each year.

They just need someone who can speak publicly without coming off like a condescending ass and is more of a diplomat. Instead Bettman never hesitates to tell the fans how we feel about the game, to take a shot at the NHLPA whenever possible, and to threaten lockout every time a CBA expires.

His job isn't just about legalities and business management. He is supposed to get 30 owners, some of them well documented idiots, to generally agree and work in the best interest of the league. That's where he fails pretty regularly.

#37 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

I hope he gets a terrible disease soon

#38 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

The owners love him and he's doing a great job for them increasing the value of the league so much over the past bunch of years so he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

That said, I think Burke's refusal to sign long term contracts and stuff like that is an indication that he wants a clean record because he wants to be commissioner one day.

#39 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:33 PM

I hope he gets a terrible disease soon

As horrible as it is, I liked this.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#40 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

It'll be this guy:

Posted Image