65 replies to this topic

#41 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

How about Tie Domi?

Lately, he hasn't been a big fan of video replays.

Edited by cusimano_brothers, 22 August 2012 - 07:11 PM.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#42 xBflinker

xBflinker

Prospect

• 44 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

"I'm Brendan Shanahan, and I drop the puck"

Now that's a real commissioner!!!

Edited by xBflinker, 22 August 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#43 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

The owners love him and he's doing a great job for them increasing the value of the league so much over the past bunch of years so he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

That said, I think Burke's refusal to sign long term contracts and stuff like that is an indication that he wants a clean record because he wants to be commissioner one day.

I agree with both parts of your post. Especially, with your take on Burke. He has been everything that Brian Burke isn't/wasn't over the last two seasons. I think that he is shaping his business model (ignore that it's The Leafs) into a very safe and conservative model that the league may want to use as an example for all teams to follow.

I've always liked his hockey mind, and understanding of the game. But his business demeanor has always been one that I wasn't all that fond of. I think he sees the possibility that Bettman's job could open up in the future, and is distancing himself from the Burke of old. Someday, that may pay off for him.

#44 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

At the end of the day, if you have a commissioner that's responsible to run the league and he can't even figure out to start CBA talks earlier than 2 months prior to expiry for the 3RD TIME IN A ROW then not only should his salary this year go to a charity fund of the NHL's choosing, but he SHOULD be replaced by someone who doesn't actually seem to WANT a lockout. Don't cancel meetings with less than 3 weeks left in the CBA. Get to the table and hash it out and schedule MORE meetings and sit longer until you get the FANS their game back. f*** the NHL and NHLPA....WE PAY YOUR SALARIES! Maybe it's time for them to consider that and find middle ground, or at least start talking about it in the same room and not just meet with your lackeys for a week and then have a closed door meeting with the head D-bags where you cancel the afternoon session and give the fans even less hope. Pure garbage.

there's my angry rant for the day.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#45 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

At the end of the day, if you have a commissioner that's responsible to run the league and he can't even figure out to start CBA talks earlier than 2 months prior to expiry for the 3RD TIME IN A ROW then not only should his salary this year go to a charity fund of the NHL's choosing, but he SHOULD be replaced by someone who doesn't actually seem to WANT a lockout. Don't cancel meetings with less than 3 weeks left in the CBA. Get to the table and hash it out and schedule MORE meetings and sit longer until you get the FANS their game back. f*** the NHL and NHLPA....WE PAY YOUR SALARIES! Maybe it's time for them to consider that and find middle ground, or at least start talking about it in the same room and not just meet with your lackeys for a week and then have a closed door meeting with the head D-bags where you cancel the afternoon session and give the fans even less hope. Pure garbage.

there's my angry rant for the day.

The counter to that is that it is very difficult to negotiate something unless you are really up against a dealine...a real deadline. Also, it's tough to do during the season as well anyway for obvious reasons.

#46 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

The counter to that is that it is very difficult to negotiate something unless you are really up against a dealine...a real deadline. Also, it's tough to do during the season as well anyway for obvious reasons.

The NHLPA players have only been in on 1 meeting so far anyways. The NHL and NHLPA reps have pretty much been doing whatever Gary Bettman sees fit and that is negotiate for 1 1/2 hours and then go on Twitter saying there's no hope and the players won't budge. If it was going to be just the heads doing 90% of the meeting and negotiating, then why not start during the season instead of counting down to D-Day? This whole process is pathetic.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#47 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

John Collins.

Surprised no one's mentioned our own Ken Holland.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#48 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

Conflict of interest, I suppose.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#49 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

Posted Image

Good with mannerisms.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#50 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

I would love to see Stevie Y as commissioner just because he's a classy guy but I agree with everyone who's saying it should be a businessman because really that is the main part of the job.
I don't think it needs to be an ex player or coach but I'm gonna go ahead and say the next commissioner should be a guy who actually LIKES hockey at least because from what I can tell, Gary doesn't really give a...he doesn't care.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#51 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

Shanny. Many on here called it a couple years ago when it became clear that he was positioning himself for a league job. Bettman might have to voluntarily retire first, though.

#52 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

http://watch.tsn.ca/...7701#clip747701

Dart board shot

Edited by Johnz96, 27 August 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#53 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

http://watch.tsn.ca/...7701#clip747701

Dart board shot

This didn't come out the way I hoped but the shot of him scowling on TSN today pisses me off.

Edited by Johnz96, 27 August 2012 - 09:10 AM.

#54 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

Posted Image

Good with mannerisms.

The COO needs to organize a coup.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#55 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

lol, not sure if posted elsewhere:
http://www.sportspic...m-what-icing-is
http://www.sportspic...sion-since-1993
http://www.sportspic...ry-bettman-only

Edited by dirtydangles, 27 August 2012 - 12:31 PM.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#56 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

lol, not sure if posted elsewhere:
http://www.sportspic...m-what-icing-is
http://www.sportspic...sion-since-1993
http://www.sportspic...ry-bettman-only

I thought that was serious at first. That's a bad thing that i'm not surprised that Gary Bettman wouldn't know what offsides are... The kind of guy that the entire world makes fun of...is that really the guy that the owners want to keep hanging on to as the head of the NHL?

#57 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

I thought that was serious at first. That's a bad thing that i'm not surprised that Gary Bettman wouldn't know what offsides are... The kind of guy that the entire world makes fun of...is that really the guy that the owners want to keep hanging on to as the head of the NHL?

Exactly my thought. In fact I bet he doesn't know a large number of the nuances in hockey, like he wouldn't know how to suit up properly to play. When he gets booed that much at every event (draft, cup presentations, etc.) its pretty clear he isn't a likeable face for the nhl. So what if the nhl grew with him in charge? its preposterous to think that it couldn't grow under someone likeable as well.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#58 Chunkylover

Chunkylover

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

What's sad is that your predisposition against Bettman makes you believe a fabricated story and then you use that as evidence that he should be fired.

Can anyone name one thing they know for certain about this guy that is a justification for their animosity?

#59 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

What's sad is that your predisposition against Bettman makes you believe a fabricated story and then you use that as evidence that he should be fired.

Can anyone name one thing they know for certain about this guy that is a justification for their animosity?

Go away, Gary.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#60 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

Experience and business sense aside, there are very few fans who actually respect Gary Bettman and want him to represent the sport of hockey to die-hard and casual fans in North America.

The expansion (in terms of revenue) has been a failure, specifically for the Southern franchises and this whole shady deal with NBC, should there be a labor stoppage, shows Bettman's true colors.

Unfortunately, the decision of whether or not to replace Bettman is up to the Board of Governors, and as long as the larger market teams are satisfied then there will be a majority vote to keep him.