• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Axe

Fedorov 5 years/50 mil - 10 years later

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

I wonder what today's NHL pays Sergei Fedorov in his prime. 12 mil per? 15? That offer seems so high to me right now, but damn that guy was good.

Feds played a huge role in all those Cups...Without him who knows how many the Red Wings would've won - maybe none?

Exactly. I think people really forget what he was in the early and mid-90's. They remember the washed up guy who ended up in ANA, COL, and WAS, and not the guy who was every bit as feared as Ovechkin, Malkin, Stamkos, and the snipers of today. Except Fedorov had a two-way game too.

It's tempting to look at what Yzerman's teams did in the 80's versus what a more team-oriented Yzerman did in the 90's with help from guys like Fedorov, but there were so many other factors in those 90's teams that isn't exactly fair. Bowman and Lidstrom obviously had a ton to do with that, along with the sheer depth of veteran talent we had filling out our lines. But Fedorov was huge.

I wonder what today's NHL pays Sergei Fedorov in his prime. 12 mil per? 15? That offer seems so high to me right now, but damn that guy was good.

LOL

12 mil? 15 mil? Are you serious? Please tell me what other player is making that kind of money and why you think Fedorov would be making that kind of money in todays NHL.

Lot of players were making that kind of money ten years ago, pre-salary cap. Lidstrom was making 10.5 mil a year 10 years ago. Everyone took salary cuts when the salary cap went in place.

Are you taking the cap into account? I'd assume so, in which case it's blatantly obvious that not only would he not be worth that sort of money, he couldn't get that money.

Edited by Zetts

LOL @ The AXE.

Hmmm my other who loves feds and who hates feds post hit the second page, lets take a page out of Blue Adams book and.....

Repost but change topic title and no one will know this is a who else loves Feds thread!

MrBurnsExcellent.gif

Exactly. I think people really forget what he was in the early and mid-90's. They remember the washed up guy who ended up in ANA, COL, and WAS, and not the guy who was every bit as feared as Ovechkin, Malkin, Stamkos, and the snipers of today. Except Fedorov had a two-way game too.

It's tempting to look at what Yzerman's teams did in the 80's versus what a more team-oriented Yzerman did in the 90's with help from guys like Fedorov, but there were so many other factors in those 90's teams that isn't exactly fair. Bowman and Lidstrom obviously had a ton to do with that, along with the sheer depth of veteran talent we had filling out our lines. But Fedorov was huge.

Federov never played for Colorado! When I first saw this I was a bit alarmed, thinking I had a bad case of amnesia, but then I realized you meant CBJ. :lol:

Edited by ElCapitan

Fedorov was a beast and one of the best players in the league in the 90s, which is saying a lot considering some of the stars of that era. His playoff numbers are incredible (and very consistent), and he had one of the best two-way games of any forward during his time.

I was always a little miffed at the offers he turned down from Detroit in '03, and also his holdout in 97 after the cup win. Wish it could have worked out a little differently and that he'd retire a Wing and help bring along guys like Datsyuk and Z. Imagine him on a line with Pavel for a couple seasons.

I think in today's NHL with the cap, if Feds was in his prime and was a FA this summer, he'd probably get a contract along the lines of Stamkos or Malkin or Crosby. Definitely 7+, probably more based on some of the signings this off season.

Guest Crymson

so you are saying that fed's was that much better the un hurt non crying crosby?

I believe it's Feds, not Fed's. Just FYI.

Yes, one goal in a seven-game series. That was the extent of what he did in that playoff year. And the Caps won the series because Lundquist suddenly couldn't make a save.

And I hated those rewind videos.

LOL

12 mil? 15 mil? Are you serious? Please tell me what other player is making that kind of money and why you think Fedorov would be making that kind of money in todays NHL.

Lot of players were making that kind of money ten years ago, pre-salary cap. Lidstrom was making 10.5 mil a year 10 years ago. Everyone took salary cuts when the salary cap went in place.

Why LOL?

Lidstrom and Jagr were the highest paid players in the league when they were making that much. Weber is getting paid over $25 mil in bonuses in each of the first two years of his contract. Weber's cap hit may not be that high but that's because it's 14 years in order to bring the cap hit down. Such practices were unheard of pre-salary cap. It is by no means a stretch to say that a Fedorov in his prime could earn such a salary today.

I think it's really lame how people use LOL in order to disparage a totally legitimate post.

Edit: what I'm trying to say is that If Feds was in his prime today he would probably get locked up in a long term deal that pays him in the neighborhood of $50-$60 mil in the first 5 years. Cap hit is not the same as salary.

Edited by The Greek

Guest The Axe

Why LOL?

Lidstrom and Jagr were the highest paid players in the league when they were making that much. Weber is getting payed over $25 mil in bonuses in each of the first two years of his contract. Weber's cap hit may not be that high but that's because it's 14 years in order to bring the cap hit down. Such practices were unheard of pre-salary cap. It is by no means a stretch to say that a Fedorov in his prime could earn such a salary today.

I think it's really lame how people use LOL in order to disparage a totally legitimate post.

Especially when its an open question you can run with anywhere you like.

Why LOL?

Lidstrom and Jagr were the highest paid players in the league when they were making that much. Weber is getting paid over $25 mil in bonuses in each of the first two years of his contract. Weber's cap hit may not be that high but that's because it's 14 years in order to bring the cap hit down. Such practices were unheard of pre-salary cap. It is by no means a stretch to say that a Fedorov in his prime could earn such a salary today.

Edit: what I'm trying to say is that If Feds was in his prime today he would probably get locked up in a long term deal that pays him in the neighborhood of $50-$60 mil in the first 5 years. Cap hit is not the same as salary.

I used LOL to show how laughable I thought the post was, and explained why. (salary cap) To suggest that in the current NHL that Fedorov would get a contract for 15 mil per season is ridiculous.

Edited by sleepwalker

No, its not a "totally legitimate" post, and I used LOL to show just how laughable the post was. To suggest that in the current NHL that Fedorov would get a contract for 15 mil per season is ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous. Earlier in the thread you argued that we have to consider the salary cap. The fact of the matter is that players of Fedorov's calibre in the prime of their careers don't get signed to five year deals these days. This is because the amount of salary they command would be prohibitive to the cap. Therefore, they are signed to deals where they get paid an average of $60-$75 mil over over the first five years. Their salary tapers off towards the end to account for a predictable drop in production. These front loaded contracts basically combine 2-3 contracts that a player would have signed over the course of its term length. The salary due towards te end of the term is comparable to what an older star would paid on a new contract. Look at what Crosby and weber make in the first five years of their contracts. Both deals average 10-15 mil per year in the first five years.

Guest The Axe

It's not ridiculous. Earlier in the thread you argued that we have to consider the salary cap. The fact of the matter is that players of Fedorov's calibre in the prime of their careers don't get signed to five year deals these days. This is because the amount of salary they command would be prohibitive to the cap. Therefore, they are signed to deals where they get paid an average of $60-$75 mil over over the first five years. Their salary tapers off towards the end to account for a predictable drop in production. These front loaded contracts basically combine 2-3 contracts that a player would have signed over the course of its term length. The salary due towards te end of the term is comparable to what an older star would paid on a new contract. Look at what Crosby and weber make in the first five years of their contracts. Both deals average 10-15 mil per year in the first five years.

Suter and Parise are making 10 mil per for the first 8 years of their contracts. It is not unreasonable to think a 27 year old Fedorov in 2012 gets 8 years at 15 mil per and 6 years at 1 mil per for an average cap hit of 9 mil per. I would give him that if I were a GM.