Photo
- - - - -

Alright. How good are we going to be this season?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

With and older, smaller team filled with softer players, playing a 50 game schedule will be to our benefit. Where would we have been last year if the season was 60 games long? #1 seed or close to it. But this isn't the same team. If I am going to be 100% honest, we are fighting for the 8th seed. 85 to 90 points and fighting through the last game of the season. Then another 1st round exit.

#22 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,135 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

Wanted to add, re: the original post (much of which I agree with)...

- Quincey is Stuart's replacement. Colaiacovo would almost certainly be on the third pairing.

- Basically, we don't have a replacement for Nick. Smith is gonna be a force in a few seasons (if not before then), and I've no doubt he'll ultimately grow into the #1 or #2 role, leading our D corps for years and years to come. But in the here and now, we've got no answer for that gaping hole in the earth called Nick's Absence.

- Yeah, yeah, I know - you can't replace Nick Lidstrom. But you can at least get an elite #1, which we don't have. Kronwall is great, and it looks like he's our #1...but the ideal top-pairing would be...

[Elite #1, e.g. Weber] - Kronwall.

Next best thing:

Kronwall - [Solid, legitimate #2. More-or-less equal to Kronwall]

- White is a second-pairing guy. Ideally, he's not your #2. And if he is, you'd like for your #1 to be Nick Lidstrom, if at all possible. And even then, it's gonna be a little bumpy.

We're in for a very interesting, potentially painful season* on the back-end.

(*Blah blah blah lockout blah blah blah)

Edited by Dabura, 28 August 2012 - 10:35 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#23 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:13 PM

id be pissed if line 1 was dats bert mule. we need to not bone dats anymore and put z sam brunner or nyq with him. just a change would be nice for him

#24 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:58 AM

Well, we lost Lidstrom and got Mikael Samuelsson and Jordin Tootoo.

We might make the playoffs.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#25 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

So you think Nyquist is going to be on the 3rd line over Brunner? Put Nyquist on the 1st line with Pavs, Brunner on 2nd possibly 3rd rolling with helmer and you have a more realistic lineup. Nyquist isn't going to play 3rd line minutes, especially this season. Who knows also, maybe brunner will become that winger we were dying for. He has the shoot first mentality and knows how to pot em.

I thought about that. Putting Bert on the third line, with Nyquist (or Filppula?) on Pav's wing. That's personally how I'd like to see them rolled. But we'll have to wait and see what Babs is thinking I guess.

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Franzen
Filppula-Zetterberg-Brunner
Bertuzzi-Helm-Samuelsson
Cleary-Abdelkader-Tootoo
Miller, Eaves

Juggle the lines all you want, it doesn't solve our fundemental problems of lack of quality on the blue-line, lack of scoring on the wing, lack of toughness through the line-up, aging stars, and a hope (expectation) that 3 rookies will perform like vets to fill the gaps.

With a healthy line-up, good goaltending and good coaching we can still be a 4-6 seed. My great fear is we'll end up in the NHL poverty trap. Not enough good players to make the playoffs, too many good players to get a top-5 pick.

Sad, but true.

#26 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

Wings are in trouble. Holland blew it on Suter/Parise. Season over from start.

We've already beat to death the fact that the Thunder Buddies wives said they were going to Minnesota. The issue needs to die already just like their careers and cup dreams will there.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#27 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

Better than most are giving us credit for.

D is pretty weak - but a stopgap UFA addition should give us a good enough Dcore to keep us competitive back there. If where that awful Kenny will make a deadline deal if were in the PO picture.

Forwards are good - if Brunner and Nyquist elevate and produce we could have the deepest offensive corps since 2009 IMO. Watching the WCF today on NHL network - Cleary was so bad this year on one leg it was too easy to forget how good he is when healthy. If he has another few good years left now that hes healthy and he can return to that level Ill be thrilled.

Heres what Id like.

Nyquist Datsyuk Bertuzzi
Franzen Zetterberg Brunner
Cleary Filpula Samulsen
Adbelkader Helm Tootoo

*Brunner, Bert, and Sammy all can go up and down those top 3 right Wings as Babs sees fit and I think theres decent chemistry throughout. I liked when we could roll 3 scoring lines and 1 horrendously fast tenacious checking line (Abs, Drapes, Helm) ... this would be a pretty comprable methodology.

You really see Flip as a third liner playing with players who will not help him and Brunner and Gus who are unproven get to play with dats and Z? No
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#28 jroc86

jroc86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

You really see Flip as a third liner playing with players who will not help him and Brunner and Gus who are unproven get to play with dats and Z?

*my lineup should have had a disclaimer - I was assuming Brunner and Nyquist adjust to the NHL level quickly and can play top 6 roles. They are small, skilled, euros with top6 upside and we have a team that needs to get younger. We need to start giving guys a chance so that when Bert/Sammy/Cleary/Pav (f*** I hope not) are gone in 2 years we arent throwing a bunch of kids into the fire without having as many capable vets playing with them and showing them the ropes.

1) Babcock has stated Brunner will be given a shot at a top 6 role to startthe season. Hes 26 yr old rookie finesse player ... its sink or swim and yes, he will be playing with Dats or Z a fair bit until he proves he isnt up to the task.

2) Nyquist is similar ... small, fast, skilled forward who by most indications looks like he'll be an effective offensive player at the NHL level. No point burying him on the 4th line if he cant cut it yet.

3) Filpula as the 3rd line center isnt a demotion by any means and its just an idea to spread the offense out over 3 lines (assuming Nyquist and Brunner are producing and we have enough weapons to do so). Sammy is still effective and it seems everyones forgotten how good Cleary can be when he has 2 good legs. Im just saying that that having 3 centers that are offensive threats instead of 2 gives us more looks and makes us harder to defend against.

I like Helm ALLOT and hes a great 3rd line center and have no issue if he fills that spot again this year especially after the proven chemistry established last year with Filp and Z.

Adbelkader ... I have always preferred as a winger. His hockey IQ isnt that great and the simpler position where hes free to run rampant on defensemen on the forecheck more IMO suits his skillset better at the NHL level. Helm flanked with Tootoo and Adbelakder would be an total nightmare to play against and could be one of the better shutdown lines in the league I think.

#29 centcougar

centcougar

Jr. Prospect

• 17 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:52 AM

We've already beat to death the fact that the Thunder Buddies wives said they were going to Minnesota. The issue needs to die already just like their careers and cup dreams will there.

Hahaha. This actually makes me laugh! I agree with Axe's post. Not a good offseason.

#30 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:16 AM

Hahaha. This actually makes me laugh! I agree with Axe's post. Not a good offseason.

First of all your an idiot, I guess there is no second of all, sorry.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#31 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

Brunner, Nyquist and maybe even Jurco should see minutes with Datsyuk and Mule, but you know that Bert, Samuelsson and Cleary are on tops of Babcock's preferred list.

bringit.jpg

#32 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

nice to see you back being as useless as usual providing nothing of any value to the conversation whatsoever. 13dangledangle is right, you're an idiot. Go back to lets go wild and talk about your Ryan Suter special edition pig farmer coveralls you're waiting for in the mail.

This offseason isn't bad considering once a deal actually gets done, the Wings will be under the cap and the Wild will have to shed 13 million in salary. And the Wings were, and are still a playoff team, whereas the Wild still will most likely be on the outside looking in. As much of a hit as our blueline took, have a nice look at the Wilds and tell me for one second that theirs is better.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#33 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,080 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

Great offseason for Minnesota, still no chance to compete for a Cup. Why do you still post here?

#NOMOREKINDL

#34 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

Minnesota will do well this year.

#35 cprice12

cprice12

Resident St. Louis Blues Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

From an outsider's view...
If Detroit can remain a puck possession team and keep the puck out of their own end for most of the game, they'll be fine.
It's the ol' the best defense is a good offense line of thinking.
But if the puck possession isn't there, and the offense regresses some, I don't see your defense winning you many games.

And what if you don't get Carlo? Then what? I'm thinking a trade of some kind?
I'm very curious as to what Detroit's defense is going to look like when/if the season starts.

Edited by cprice12, 01 September 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#36 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,135 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

http://www.cbssports.../minnesota-wild

Don't Toews me, bro!

#37 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

http://www.cbssports.../minnesota-wild

If that was the Wings' lineup, I'd vomit profusely. That is not a playoff team let alone a contender.

#38 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

If that was the Wings' lineup, I'd vomit profusely. That is not a playoff team let alone a contender.

Not that I'm saying they'll be tons better, but CBS is leaving P.M. Bouchard and Granlund out of that line-up. Both guys will prob factor in on Minny's top 6 forwards. They also list Torrey Mitchell twice.

Edited by Jesusberg, 03 September 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#39 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

They'll be OK** if Nyquist and/or Brunner are able to stick in the top 6, Smith and Kindl are able to handle regular minutes, and Gustafsson is better than he was in Toronto. And if there are no major injury problems.

Brunner and Nyquist are top-6 style forwards and should only be used as such. If they don't pan out, send them to GR. How do they configure the top 2 lines? Franzen was invisible for long stretches last year even though he was with Datsyuk. He played well with Zetterberg at the WCs though, so do they try that pair with Nyquist? Filppula played some with Datsyuk late in 10/11 and began to show flashes of what was to come in 11/12. Maybe they'll click again, and add Brunner to that mix. Bertuzzi, Cleary, and Samuelsson can battle for bottom-6 icetime with the rest of the crowd, and any of them can fill in for the rookies if they don't work out. Helm plays center on one of the lines, the rest is up for grabs.

Edit... ** by OK, I mean they should make the playoffs. They're too good to miss them, but not good enough to mount a serious challenge for the Cup unless the moon, stars, and planets all align properly, mixed in with a lot of luck.

Edited by joshy207, 03 September 2012 - 09:38 PM.

#40 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:10 AM

Give an ovation to the 2 girls for getting married there.

bringit.jpg