• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Alright. How good are we going to be this season?

Rate this topic

Wings are in trouble. Holland blew it on Suter/Parise. Season over from start.

We've already beat to death the fact that the Thunder Buddies wives said they were going to Minnesota. The issue needs to die already just like their careers and cup dreams will there.

Better than most are giving us credit for.

D is pretty weak - but a stopgap UFA addition should give us a good enough Dcore to keep us competitive back there. If where that awful Kenny will make a deadline deal if were in the PO picture.

Forwards are good - if Brunner and Nyquist elevate and produce we could have the deepest offensive corps since 2009 IMO. Watching the WCF today on NHL network - Cleary was so bad this year on one leg it was too easy to forget how good he is when healthy. If he has another few good years left now that hes healthy and he can return to that level Ill be thrilled.

Heres what Id like.

Nyquist Datsyuk Bertuzzi

Franzen Zetterberg Brunner

Cleary Filpula Samulsen

Adbelkader Helm Tootoo

*Brunner, Bert, and Sammy all can go up and down those top 3 right Wings as Babs sees fit and I think theres decent chemistry throughout. I liked when we could roll 3 scoring lines and 1 horrendously fast tenacious checking line (Abs, Drapes, Helm) ... this would be a pretty comprable methodology.

You really see Flip as a third liner playing with players who will not help him and Brunner and Gus who are unproven get to play with dats and Z? No

You really see Flip as a third liner playing with players who will not help him and Brunner and Gus who are unproven get to play with dats and Z?

*my lineup should have had a disclaimer - I was assuming Brunner and Nyquist adjust to the NHL level quickly and can play top 6 roles. They are small, skilled, euros with top6 upside and we have a team that needs to get younger. We need to start giving guys a chance so that when Bert/Sammy/Cleary/Pav (f*** I hope not) are gone in 2 years we arent throwing a bunch of kids into the fire without having as many capable vets playing with them and showing them the ropes.

1) Babcock has stated Brunner will be given a shot at a top 6 role to startthe season. Hes 26 yr old rookie finesse player ... its sink or swim and yes, he will be playing with Dats or Z a fair bit until he proves he isnt up to the task.

2) Nyquist is similar ... small, fast, skilled forward who by most indications looks like he'll be an effective offensive player at the NHL level. No point burying him on the 4th line if he cant cut it yet.

3) Filpula as the 3rd line center isnt a demotion by any means and its just an idea to spread the offense out over 3 lines (assuming Nyquist and Brunner are producing and we have enough weapons to do so). Sammy is still effective and it seems everyones forgotten how good Cleary can be when he has 2 good legs. Im just saying that that having 3 centers that are offensive threats instead of 2 gives us more looks and makes us harder to defend against.

I like Helm ALLOT and hes a great 3rd line center and have no issue if he fills that spot again this year especially after the proven chemistry established last year with Filp and Z.

Adbelkader ... I have always preferred as a winger. His hockey IQ isnt that great and the simpler position where hes free to run rampant on defensemen on the forecheck more IMO suits his skillset better at the NHL level. Helm flanked with Tootoo and Adbelakder would be an total nightmare to play against and could be one of the better shutdown lines in the league I think.

We've already beat to death the fact that the Thunder Buddies wives said they were going to Minnesota. The issue needs to die already just like their careers and cup dreams will there.

Hahaha. This actually makes me laugh! I agree with Axe's post. Not a good offseason.

Guest irishock

Brunner, Nyquist and maybe even Jurco should see minutes with Datsyuk and Mule, but you know that Bert, Samuelsson and Cleary are on tops of Babcock's preferred list.

Hahaha. This actually makes me laugh! I agree with Axe's post. Not a good offseason.

nice to see you back being as useless as usual providing nothing of any value to the conversation whatsoever. 13dangledangle is right, you're an idiot. Go back to lets go wild and talk about your Ryan Suter special edition pig farmer coveralls you're waiting for in the mail.

This offseason isn't bad considering once a deal actually gets done, the Wings will be under the cap and the Wild will have to shed 13 million in salary. And the Wings were, and are still a playoff team, whereas the Wild still will most likely be on the outside looking in. As much of a hit as our blueline took, have a nice look at the Wilds and tell me for one second that theirs is better.

From an outsider's view...

If Detroit can remain a puck possession team and keep the puck out of their own end for most of the game, they'll be fine.

It's the ol' the best defense is a good offense line of thinking.

But if the puck possession isn't there, and the offense regresses some, I don't see your defense winning you many games.

And what if you don't get Carlo? Then what? I'm thinking a trade of some kind?

I'm very curious as to what Detroit's defense is going to look like when/if the season starts.

Edited by cprice12

If that was the Wings' lineup, I'd vomit profusely. That is not a playoff team let alone a contender.

Not that I'm saying they'll be tons better, but CBS is leaving P.M. Bouchard and Granlund out of that line-up. Both guys will prob factor in on Minny's top 6 forwards. They also list Torrey Mitchell twice.

Edited by Jesusberg

They'll be OK** if Nyquist and/or Brunner are able to stick in the top 6, Smith and Kindl are able to handle regular minutes, and Gustafsson is better than he was in Toronto. And if there are no major injury problems.

Brunner and Nyquist are top-6 style forwards and should only be used as such. If they don't pan out, send them to GR. How do they configure the top 2 lines? Franzen was invisible for long stretches last year even though he was with Datsyuk. He played well with Zetterberg at the WCs though, so do they try that pair with Nyquist? Filppula played some with Datsyuk late in 10/11 and began to show flashes of what was to come in 11/12. Maybe they'll click again, and add Brunner to that mix. Bertuzzi, Cleary, and Samuelsson can battle for bottom-6 icetime with the rest of the crowd, and any of them can fill in for the rookies if they don't work out. Helm plays center on one of the lines, the rest is up for grabs.

Edit... ** by OK, I mean they should make the playoffs. They're too good to miss them, but not good enough to mount a serious challenge for the Cup unless the moon, stars, and planets all align properly, mixed in with a lot of luck.

Edited by joshy207

Guest irishock

If that was the Wings' lineup, I'd vomit profusely. That is not a playoff team let alone a contender.

Give an ovation to the 2 girls for getting married there.

Not that I'm saying they'll be tons better, but CBS is leaving P.M. Bouchard and Granlund out of that line-up. Both guys will prob factor in on Minny's top 6 forwards. They also list Torrey Mitchell twice.

Granlund is a really good player, I'll give them that. Bouchard is an injury prone *** and he reminds me of Kovalev a lot of the time minus the skill Alexei had. In closing, Wild still kinda suck and Bouchard is 3rd line at best, but still not that great.

Give an ovation to the 2 girls for getting married there.

You mean Thunder Buddies' wives? Whatever floats their boats. Suter will be hurting without Weber on his line to pad his PP stats. Brendan Smith will be known as a better dman by years end if there's a season. I hope Setoguchi makes his way to the NHL's diving board and Minnesota gets slaughtered on the PK all year killing unsportsmanlike calls.