• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
LeftWinger

Franzen Trade Bait? Possibly!

Rate this topic

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1320562-nhl-trade-rumors-franzen-is-key-piece-in-red-wings-getting-top-four-defenseman

I love anything to do with Franzen being an EX-Red Wing! To dump Hudler and Franzen in the same off season would not only make me happy, but will instantly make this team less soft! Don't worry, the goals will be made up for, we won' miss them...

Franzen is the man. f*** the haters.

I especially like how he says the regular season bores him and the postseason is what it's all about, then disappears in the postseason while we get our collective ass handed to us, then says the team needs more...joy.

At any rate, bleacher labels this a rumor, but it's really just speculation.

Edited by Dabura

I know somebody who knows somebody important with the Wings and the word was Franzen was part of the offer for Nash. No I'm not kidding, I just don't want to get anyone in trouble. :P

On that note, that only happened because we'd have offense coming back the other way.

What is the rumor here? Franzen could be trade bait? We already knew that...Where are the goals being made up?

I think that Franzen 29 Goals, 27 Assists (56 points) +23 @ $3.9M cap hit is a good deal.

Wouldnt trade him unless we were getting an absolute stud of a D man back in return.

I still think Franzen will score 40+ goals soon.

I think that Franzen 29 Goals, 27 Assists (56 points) +23 @ $3.9M cap hit is a good deal.

Wouldnt trade him unless we were getting an absolute stud of a D man back in return.

I still think Franzen will score 40+ goals soon.

I agree with this. Even if he doesn't score 40+ goals, for what he is paid, he is producing well. Obviously, I would love to see him use that body and dominate physically. At the same time, there are people here who think that if he isn't a 50 goal scorer, then he isn't doing his job.

As much as I dislike Franzen a lot of the time, I'm not sure how beneficial trading him would be to the Red Wings. The top-six is aging and not very strong for starters (especially on the wing). Now if Nyquist and/or Brunner are productive, then that changes the dynamic quite a bit. Both are unproven at this point and Franzen/Filppula are the only sure wingers on the team that belong in a top-six role. In an ideal scenario, you don't have the lingering possibility of Todd Bertuzzi and Mikeal Samuelsson playing with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Despite Franzen's flaws, he's still good for around 30 goals. That's hard to replace for the price and I would imagine trading Franzen would be in a move to get a top-four d-man. So you're filling a major need, but at the same time also creating a huge hole in a spot where the Red Wings aren't deep to begin with.

Again, I believe any possible trade of Franzen would have to be contingent upon the development of Nyquist and Brunner in particular. If the trade deadline comes along and one or both of those guys has proven to be reliable offensively, then maybe you can entertain the idea of bolstering the defense.

I especially like how he says the regular season bores him and the postseason is what it's all about, then disappears in the postseason while we get our collective ass handed to us, then says the team needs more...joy.

Yes, because Franzen is the only player who failed to produce this post season...

I'm also not sure how this article in any way indicates Franzen is about to get traded. It didn't mention a single name of a player who would come back in a deal, how is this a rumor?

So basically the author speculates that because the Wings haven't signed Colaiacovo (yet) that they should trade their best goal scorer for an unnamed "top 4 defensemen". Ok... makes perfect sense...

Guest Crymson

Quick, discredit the author!

esteef

The author has no credit to begin with, as he is simply a fan writing for a fan-run website. He has no credibility. People on this site should know by now that all articles on bleacherreport are written by fans.

crymson

I'm on the fence when in comes to Franzen. He has talent and ability, no doubt about it. He's also very reasonably priced when it comes to his cap hit and production. Then again, it seems like a lot of his points are meaningless and/or come in spurts. If we keep him, I think it would be ideal to keep him on the third line. He will match up far better against other teams' third liners and be less of a liability in the d-end.

Edited by The Greek

I'm all for the mule hate, hell, I can hate on the man day in and day out, but let's not forget the man wasn't brought on to score goals originally. We just got lucky and he turned out to be a pretty good producer therefore his role changed. Originally, we brought him in for his size and to basically just be a power forward. Unfortunately, he fails to use his body and hasn't been producing lately, which means he hasn't been fulfilling his role as intended. The one thing that just makes me want to punch someone in the jugular is the fact how he says the dumbest things as a player. "This isn't enough fun!", "Ohhh my gawddddd the regular season is so boringggg" well there champ, you gotta do good in the regular season to make it to the playoffs. Bucko.

I'm on the fence when in comes to Franzen. He has talent and ability, no doubt about it. He's also very reasonably priced when it comes to his cap hit and production. Then again, it seems like a lot of his points are meaningless and/or come in spurts. If we keep him, I think it would be ideal to keep him on the third line. He will match up far better against other teams' third liners and be less of a liability in the d-end.

Lol... Meaningless points. Didn't he break Fedorov's record for most GWG's in a season

What makes a goal a GWG? I'm totally kidding, don't answer that.

You sure? I was about to! :lol:

Anyhow, I agree for the price, 30 goals is well worth it!, Especially considering the contracts handed out this summer. ie. Parise for his 30ish goals (although in the same amount of time Franzen is WELL behind Zach in scoring,) it's just the laziness I cannot stand. Franzen scores 29 goals being lazy 75% of the season, how about playing hard for 100% of the season? He probably would score 50 goals...He is needed in the top 6, I just don't like him... I too hope, if he remains a Red Wing, that he tops at least 40 this season and if he approaches 50 then that would be great!

BUT, we still need a defender and if it will come via trade, then Franzen is definitely on the top of most GM's list...

Lol... Meaningless points. Didn't he break Fedorov's record for most GWG's in a season

No....Fedorov had 11 twice. If the GWG actaully meant Game Winning Goal, then even Franzine's 10 would mean something, but GWG only means the goal that the other team lost by, so it really means nothing, especially in the case where you are up 6-0 in the second period and the other team falls short of the comeback and loses 6-5, that 6th should NOT be a GWG. A GWG stat should only be counted if the goal unties the game in the third period or later...

Game tying and Game winning goals should only add up in the third period (or later for the Game winner)

I don't buy this for a minute.

We just lost our 2nd leading goal scorer (Hudler) and someone is suggesting that we are looking to trade Franzen who was leading goal scorer last year??? That would be losing 54 goals? I don't think Kenny will offer up Franzen in any deal. I'm all for the Wings giving the young guys ice time and a chance to prove themselves...but that's a **** ton of goals to replace. Unfortunately, if we give up anything, IMO...it would be a less proven contributor(s) when it comes to flat out offense, or a couple of younger guys/prospects. I know Franzen is inconsistent and comes with some baggage....but you can't lose two of your top D men and two of your top goal scorers in the same off season!!! Young guys are great and provide a lot of hope, but they are unproven. Youtube videos of Euro hockey games don't mean anything to a GM who is paid to produce wins in the NHL.

Edited by Learn2LuvIt

What are you laughing about? I said "a lot", not "all". I was referring to instances like when he scores five goals in one game against a no name opponent like the islanders or blue jackets, or when he scores a late goal in a game we have no chance of winning. Those types of meaningless points pad his stats.

What are you laughing about? I said "a lot", not "all". I was referring to instances like when he scores five goals in one game against a no name opponent like the islanders or blue jackets, or when he scores a late goal in a game we have no chance of winning. Those types of meaningless points pad his stats.

It was the Sens. And 4 against the Sharks.

I get your point, but have a question for you: If what you're saying is true then... why doesn't Dan Cleary pad his stats or score meaningless points? Or Hank? or Bert? Or Flip????

Do they recognize the two situations you described above (no name opponent and or late goal in a game we have no chance of winning) and deliberately try NOT to score?

You don't think when Bert was reeling this year looking for offense that he wouldn't have loved padding his stats? Or Cleary??

The fact is that this guy can score goals more than most other guys on our team (in fact, in 2012...ALL other guys). That is fact.