• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 742 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

Since there isn't much going on (still), thought I'd put up this picture that was just shared by the Detroit Red Wings Facebook...

Monster sure looks good in the red and white, and I have to say those pads look sweet. Simple, crisp white. Like an Ice Monster :) Excited for the new season when I see things like this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#2 shoe

shoe

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

Damn he has long leg pads bet ozzys would look like shin pads beside those

#3 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,176 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

He's a big goalie, but every goalie coming out nowadays is big. I just think it's silly his nickname is "Monster". Would have been more fitting 20 years ago than now.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#4 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

Good look.

#5 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

He's a big goalie, but every goalie coming out nowadays is big. I just think it's silly his nickname is "Monster". Would have been more fitting 20 years ago than now.

I'm almost positive he got the name before he came over to the NHL. It was given to him because of his play (he did very well in the SEL), not his size/height. I read it in an NHL article somewhere when he first came over to the league. Could be wrong, though.

Edit: Looked up his stats in his last season in Farjestad. So I think it was because of his play.

Regular Season: 42 games, 1.96 GAA, .932 Sv%
Playoffs: 13 games, 1.03 GAA, .961 Sv%

Sheesh.

Edited by Jesusberg, 05 September 2012 - 10:58 PM.

#6 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

looks awesome. i love em. wait where's the normal, "Omfg what season roflroflroflrofl" comment.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#7 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

looks awesome. i love em. wait where's the normal, "Omfg what season roflroflroflrofl" comment.

Well...you beat me to it. I hope they get that s*** banged out in the next week, but just like the players, my hopes are waning.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling, $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening, Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: Glendening.  MOTB TOTAL: $0

#8 ToledoWingsFan

ToledoWingsFan

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

I'm almost positive he got the name before he came over to the NHL. It was given to him because of his play (he did very well in the SEL), not his size/height. I read it in an NHL article somewhere when he first came over to the league. Could be wrong, though.

Edit: Looked up his stats in his last season in Farjestad. So I think it was because of his play.

Regular Season: 42 games, 1.96 GAA, .932 Sv%
Playoffs: 13 games, 1.03 GAA, .961 Sv%

Sheesh.

I saw a video where Jonas explained that he was given the nickname before he came over to the NHL. I always thought it was because of his size. But apparently not.

#9 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

Those pads look really sharp
IPB Image

#10 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

Is it just me or do they just look way to skinny and thin (in width and depth i mean)

Edited by Din758, 06 September 2012 - 10:44 AM.

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#11 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

"the motorcity monster" haha stoked to see this guy between the pipes in red and white!

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#12 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

Is it just me or do they just look way to skinny and thin (in width and depth i mean)

The NHL rules mandate that goalie pads not exceed 11 inches in width. As far as "depth", it is common for goalies to have their thigh rises (padding above the knee) thinned out.

Edited by The Greek, 06 September 2012 - 12:23 PM.

#13 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

While the entire album wasn't exactly received well by fans, I'd love to see the guys at the Joe play Metallica's "Some Kind of Monster" whenever Jonas makes a big save or does something of significance. I think it'd be pretty cool, and I'm not sure how often songs are used in response to something a goalie does.

#14 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

They called him "Monster" because he was the number 1 reason for FBK to win the SEL he broke some of Lundquists records but man this guy is a big goalie. Don't listen to the crap Toronto fans are saying about him I think, he will thrive under Babcock and challenge Howie for the #1 spot.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#15 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

Posted Image

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#16 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:34 AM

Posted Image

that doesnt even look fair
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#17 crozier

crozier

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:07 AM

I am new to the forum and I am actually a Leaf fan so I came over to see what the talk is here about Gus (Gustavson). Also, I'm a Leaf fan but I'm not one of those fans that doesn't appreciate other good teams - like the Wings obviously - and, also, I've been a hockey fan for over 40 years - played some hockey growing up - and a long time ago I was actually a Wings fan - back when I lived on the prairies.

My handle is Crozer as in Roger Crozier who was one of my favorite players back in the days.

I was a fan of the Wings for many many years - long before Stevie Y came along and long before the new era so to speak.

Anyways, I didn't introduce myself in the intro forum if there is one - I didn't check it out sorry. AGain, I dropped in to see what is being said about Gus. I actually have been reading this forum for a few months (on and off) because I was curious what was being talked about on a winning team's forum and if there is quite a bit less, hmm, frustration and the rest.

#18 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:18 PM

Well...you beat me to it. I hope they get that s*** banged out in the next week, but just like the players, my hopes are waning.

NHL13 early release 85% downloaded....status: content. Hockey starts next friday. Not having NHL hockey to watch will grind on my nerves very quickly by late october at the latest.

Those pads are huge. Nice looking and sharp, but that's what's wrong with the goaltenders equipment these days. It's almost cheating...

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#19 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

Posted Image

Seriously, these bad boys look like airplane wings.