• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wing Across The Pond

Monster All Padded Up...

Rate this topic

Since there isn't much going on (still), thought I'd put up this picture that was just shared by the Detroit Red Wings Facebook...

Monster sure looks good in the red and white, and I have to say those pads look sweet. Simple, crisp white. Like an Ice Monster :) Excited for the new season when I see things like this.

578608_10151073822929139_1487275587_n.jpg

He's a big goalie, but every goalie coming out nowadays is big. I just think it's silly his nickname is "Monster". Would have been more fitting 20 years ago than now.

I'm almost positive he got the name before he came over to the NHL. It was given to him because of his play (he did very well in the SEL), not his size/height. I read it in an NHL article somewhere when he first came over to the league. Could be wrong, though.

Edit: Looked up his stats in his last season in Farjestad. So I think it was because of his play.

Regular Season: 42 games, 1.96 GAA, .932 Sv%

Playoffs: 13 games, 1.03 GAA, .961 Sv%

Sheesh.

Edited by Jesusberg

looks awesome. i love em. wait where's the normal, "Omfg what season roflroflroflrofl" comment.

Well...you beat me to it. I hope they get that s*** banged out in the next week, but just like the players, my hopes are waning.

I'm almost positive he got the name before he came over to the NHL. It was given to him because of his play (he did very well in the SEL), not his size/height. I read it in an NHL article somewhere when he first came over to the league. Could be wrong, though.

Edit: Looked up his stats in his last season in Farjestad. So I think it was because of his play.

Regular Season: 42 games, 1.96 GAA, .932 Sv%

Playoffs: 13 games, 1.03 GAA, .961 Sv%

Sheesh.

I saw a video where Jonas explained that he was given the nickname before he came over to the NHL. I always thought it was because of his size. But apparently not.

Is it just me or do they just look way to skinny and thin (in width and depth i mean)

The NHL rules mandate that goalie pads not exceed 11 inches in width. As far as "depth", it is common for goalies to have their thigh rises (padding above the knee) thinned out.

Edited by The Greek

While the entire album wasn't exactly received well by fans, I'd love to see the guys at the Joe play Metallica's "Some Kind of Monster" whenever Jonas makes a big save or does something of significance. I think it'd be pretty cool, and I'm not sure how often songs are used in response to something a goalie does.

They called him "Monster" because he was the number 1 reason for FBK to win the SEL he broke some of Lundquists records but man this guy is a big goalie. Don't listen to the crap Toronto fans are saying about him I think, he will thrive under Babcock and challenge Howie for the #1 spot.

I am new to the forum and I am actually a Leaf fan so I came over to see what the talk is here about Gus (Gustavson). Also, I'm a Leaf fan but I'm not one of those fans that doesn't appreciate other good teams - like the Wings obviously - and, also, I've been a hockey fan for over 40 years - played some hockey growing up - and a long time ago I was actually a Wings fan - back when I lived on the prairies.

My handle is Crozer as in Roger Crozier who was one of my favorite players back in the days.

I was a fan of the Wings for many many years - long before Stevie Y came along and long before the new era so to speak.

Anyways, I didn't introduce myself in the intro forum if there is one - I didn't check it out sorry. AGain, I dropped in to see what is being said about Gus. I actually have been reading this forum for a few months (on and off) because I was curious what was being talked about on a winning team's forum and if there is quite a bit less, hmm, frustration and the rest.

Well...you beat me to it. I hope they get that s*** banged out in the next week, but just like the players, my hopes are waning.

NHL13 early release 85% downloaded....status: content. Hockey starts next friday. Not having NHL hockey to watch will grind on my nerves very quickly by late october at the latest.

Those pads are huge. Nice looking and sharp, but that's what's wrong with the goaltenders equipment these days. It's almost cheating...