• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
datterberg1340

Were you at a cup-clinching game?

Rate this topic

Being a poor, deprived Wings fan living in central Texas, I have only been able to attend 4 Wings' games in my life, all against the Stars in big D. 1 win, 2 losses, and a tie. Anyway, I was wondering how many of you guys and gals have been to a Wings' cup-clinching game in '97, '98, '02, or '08? Especially the first one, since that must have been the most remarkable of the bunch in ending the 42 year drought.

For those of you that were at one of those games, what was it like?

Anyone make it to more than one? All 4?

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend games 3 and 4 of the '98 series against the Caps. The MCI Center (as they called it at the time) was easily filled with more Wings fans than Caps fans, and the section where I sat had just about everyone on the roster represented on a jersey.

Before the clinching game, I remember a rather attractive blonde in a McCarty jersey distributing gummi octopi to the Wings fans in the section. On the concourse there was a Motown style band playing before the game (they weren't bad), and bashing the Detroit team, fans, etc. in a somewhat good natured way (just a bit ironic, IMHO since they were being paid to play Motown). At one point they started playing "We Want the Funk" which almost immediately was sung along to by a bunch of Wings fans as "We Want the Cup".

The game itself in many ways is a blur to me, but It was almost like a party in the stands where I was for most of the evening. During the third they showed Konstantinov on the screen and there was a Vladdy chant that was pretty loud. The Cup ceremony was surreal. Lots of tears of joy, and when Vladdy was handed the cup, they flowed even more.

Game 5 1998 UHL Finals

QUAD CITY MALLARDS WIN IT! 2ND STRAIGHT YEAR! AND THE TRAIN HORN DID BLARE INTO THE WEE MORNING OF THE HOURS IN MOLINE!!!

and not but a couple weeks later did the RED WINGS WIN THEIR 2ND IN A ROW AS WELL

Guest Crymson

97-98 SCF, Game 3 (@ Philly). Technically, not a Cup-clincher. But it pretty much was.

You mean '96-'97. And game three was in Detroit, not in Philadelphia.

Guest Crymson

Must have been a hell of a time, since you can't remember the year or where the game took place.

:lol:

Haha.

Guest Johnz96

I would have liked to be at one, especially to boo Bettman

Edited by Johnz96

I was at Game 6 Chicago at Philly when Patrick Kane scored in OT to clinch the cup. I was in the first level opposite end of the rink and no one could tell Kane scored. I'm just glad I got to boo the hell out of Bettman in person, which was well worth the price of my tickets.

Never a Cup clincher, but I have been at two series clinchers..

One where I go to sing Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey GOOOOOOODBYE to a bunch of teed off Pred fans at the Gaylord Entertainment Center (or was it Sommet Center at that point?) and then last year where I stood and watched the sellout crowd at the Bridgestone Arena finally get to see their team defeat their arch-nemesis Wings to move on to the next round.

That second one made for a loooooong drive home. (Nashville to Memphis is about 200 miles... seems WAY longer after a loss)

I have, however, been at the 2001-2002 and 2002-2003 back to back President's Cup clinching games. It was fun watching the Memphis Riverkings win the CHL's trophy two years in a row.

Edited by FireCaptain

I was at game 7 of the Canucks Bruins series. It was a pretty crazy experience with how much animosity there was in the series and then having to walk through the riot after the game to get back to the hotel. It was amazing to be able to see the cup presented, not sure if I'll ever have that opportunity again.

I was at game 7 of the Canucks Bruins series. It was a pretty crazy experience with how much animosity there was in the series and then having to walk through the riot after the game to get back to the hotel. It was amazing to be able to see the cup presented, not sure if I'll ever have that opportunity again.

I would have left early in the 3rd period to repark my car. :lol: