• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

Who's getting it? I just downloaded the demo a few days ago and re-upped my xbox live gold account. I used to play a lot but have not played many games at all recently so I threw down on NHL 12 a bit then played the new demo. As always, the physics are different and will take getting some used to, but I like it so far. I like the new skating engine with momentum and the way contact is made now. We'll see how it fares out when I take it online tonight.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#2 ToledoWingsFan

ToledoWingsFan

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

I just picked it up for PS3. Did you get the collectors edition? I did, and I can't find my packs. Even after I entered the codes.

#3 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

Jari Kurri edition pre-ordered two weeks ago.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#4 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

I'm picking it up tomorrow night or Sat. AM. Two questions: 1) Is the Stanley Cup edition worth it? 2) Can someone share a link for the Datsyuk cover?
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#5 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,711 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

Not getting it.

Let me know if there's still freezing issues and if there's any major improvements from last year's game?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#6 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:37 AM

Not getting it.

Let me know if there's still freezing issues and if there's any major improvements from last year's game?

Still using NHL 11 I see no reason to pay a full price for a barely updated game, just with a new roster. The sprint-feature isn't even new thats something the series has had for long time till they decided to remove it and put it in as new again *lol*

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#7 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:06 AM

The last one I had was NHL 04 on the PC. :)
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#8 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

Not gonna lie... been tough getting used to the skating system in the game. I almost feel like I'm playing Blades of Steel (an oldie, for you avid hockey gamers) at times.

I've also noted that editing players has been severely limited, and oddly tweaked. In previous years, changing the "Poise" stat would drastically affect the player's overall... not the case this time around. I tried to edit Brunner so that he'd have a high enough overall to warrant a top six spot, and it was difficult to get him to 80 overall without severely overrating his stats. Anyone else notice this?

#9 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

I didn't buy it. NHL 12 was an intolerable mess.

#10 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

I won't lie, the new skating is killing me. Guys take too long to start moving. CPU isn't as bad, but poke check is WAY too effective...at least when you play online versus. It's like a huge poke fest out there.

I'm picking it up tomorrow night or Sat. AM. Two questions: 1) Is the Stanley Cup edition worth it? 2) Can someone share a link for the Datsyuk cover?

Posted Image

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#11 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

Behold, the epic "Hercules Check".

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#12 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

So funny, I haven't seen that yet. :lol:

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#13 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

Just got it for my birthday two days ago, just sitting down right now to get things going on it (been busy). I didn't get '12, so I like the changes so far. But, as always, I like the online play but always have trouble finding a league. Anyone part of an active league (GM or otherwise) with an opening?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#14 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

Just got it for my birthday two days ago, just sitting down right now to get things going on it (been busy). I didn't get '12, so I like the changes so far. But, as always, I like the online play but always have trouble finding a league. Anyone part of an active league (GM or otherwise) with an opening?

Are you on xbox? I'm involved with an insanely active league, the GM is strict about players being involved but it's a full league and there's a waiting list. Normally it's about a week wait until you can get a team. If you are interested let me know and I can link you to the league homepage.

#15 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

NHL 13 is a joke.

#16 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

NHL 13 is a joke.

Why?

hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#17 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

Why?

It's not, it's just that when we're spoiled and given something awesome year after year we tend to become like the 16 year old rich girl who ******* about her Corvette she got for her bday. Because she wanted a Mustang you see. The absolute most hilarious drivel is when I read about people claiming to love the NHL series in 1999-2004 or so and hating it now. Like how goddamn high are you?! This game is amazing. I think the deke stick was so revolutionary and naturally comfortable that we don't even think about using it, we just do. I can't even imagine going back to using buttons to shoot. Seriously, go back and play NHL 2004 and then play NHL 13 and tell me the gameplay isn't a million times better and more realistic. And with the proper sliders (that any yearly sports title will inevitably need) the game plays great. But the second we see a couple of glitches, we whine.

Then you have OTP/club play which is the most fun I've had with a sports game ever. People whine and moan but it's that same type of whining where (unbeknownst to those doing it) they're only doing it because it's great and they love it and they expect perfection because of it. You can tell it's this type of whining when people complain but never stop obsessively playing because of how fun it is. Unlike other games, such as Madden which is definitely bad enough to stop playing.

#18 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:59 AM

My primary issue with NHL 13 is how many problems there are with the GM connected mode. It's literally broken and should have never been released with this many problems. I touched on a few of the many problems in a previous post in this thread so I won't repeat myself, but it is definitely more than a couple of glitches.

I'm not bashing the entire franchise, don't get me wrong. I have my Legend card from club and OTP as I completely agree with your praise of these modes because for the most part it's a blast to play. The commentary is due for an overhaul, as much as I love Gary Thorne and Bill Clement, it's time to get a couple new voices in there. Other than that i've been consistently playing NHL since it came out in October and I still enjoy it. The fact remains not only that GM connected mode has season obliterating glitches after investing 6 or 7 weeks of your time into a league (which is really irritating), but that EA has done nothing to patch, fix, or even publicly address that they are working on a solution to resolve these problems. It's posted all over their forums, many leagues are having the same problems, and nothing is getting done about it.  

#19 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

My primary issue with NHL 13 is how many problems there are with the GM connected mode. It's literally broken and should have never been released with this many problems. I touched on a few of the many problems in a previous post in this thread so I won't repeat myself, but it is definitely more than a couple of glitches.

I'm not bashing the entire franchise, don't get me wrong. I have my Legend card from club and OTP as I completely agree with your praise of these modes because for the most part it's a blast to play. The commentary is due for an overhaul, as much as I love Gary Thorne and Bill Clement, it's time to get a couple new voices in there. Other than that i've been consistently playing NHL since it came out in October and I still enjoy it. The fact remains not only that GM connected mode has season obliterating glitches after investing 6 or 7 weeks of your time into a league (which is really irritating), but that EA has done nothing to patch, fix, or even publicly address that they are working on a solution to resolve these problems. It's posted all over their forums, many leagues are having the same problems, and nothing is getting done about it.  

I'm still playing NHL 13, with some Far Cry 3 on the side.

I have mostly quit playing NHL 13. I played the crap out of OTP, and some club, for the past four years, always getting my legend card, and EA has basically killed it for me. They nerfed the 'skill' factor by making your players speed, agility and stick handling much slower by default. This equates to a very lop-sided emphasis on technique (glitch shot, loose puck deke) over reflex. They removed the ability to invite your friends to an OTP room you are in, forcing you into a STUPID lobby system where each room only accepts 50 people - the end result of which is you sitting there getting carpal tunnel mashing the X button trying to beat out all the other people doing the same thing trying to get into OTP room 1 when a spot opens up. Me and my friend call it the NHL 13 mini-game. We STILL can't mute people in game. STILL can't vote kick people, like when a goalie is purposely sabotaging your team, or a d-bag is spamming the mic (did I mention you couldn't mute in game?)... and numerous other retarded things.

Anyways, I know it's a rant... but I am pissed at EA for ruining my favourite game for me. I wish 2k would make a good (or any) hockey game again to light a fire under EA's arse, it's clear they have stagnated and are just riding on the success of their 'skill stick' innovation from 4 years ago.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#20 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

I have mostly quit playing NHL 13. I played the crap out of OTP, and some club, for the past four years, always getting my legend card, and EA has basically killed it for me. They nerfed the 'skill' factor by making your players speed, agility and stick handling much slower by default. This equates to a very lop-sided emphasis on technique (glitch shot, loose puck deke) over reflex. They removed the ability to invite your friends to an OTP room you are in, forcing you into a STUPID lobby system where each room only accepts 50 people - the end result of which is you sitting there getting carpal tunnel mashing the X button trying to beat out all the other people doing the same thing trying to get into OTP room 1 when a spot opens up. Me and my friend call it the NHL 13 mini-game. We STILL can't mute people in game. STILL can't vote kick people, like when a goalie is purposely sabotaging your team, or a d-bag is spamming the mic (did I mention you couldn't mute in game?)... and numerous other retarded things.[

Some I agree with. Some I don't. Like the vote kick thing. The realistic purpose would be to kick out derankers but you just know that a group of assholes would kick a player who is trying but just sucks. You said you played enough to get your legend card, you have to have heard how pissy and snobby the herd gets when they perceive someone as being noobish or sucking. They nerfed speed and stick handling because it was ridiculously unrealistic. Hell even after the nerfing it still is, at least the stick handling. You can still just jack up the two or three attributes that determine puck handling and possession and just jerk the deke stick far right to far left over and over like an idiot and no one will be able to take it from you without a serious fight. Like it's glued to your stick. They did improve the speed and took out a decent number of glitch shots. I often hear people complain about whatever glitch shot there is now (and to their credit, there's not many seriously game killing ones) but no one ever is appreciative that they got rid of s*** they could've easily left in there Madden style. Like the curve shot-that was worse than anything out there now, ten times over. Or the fact that you could juice speed/accel and dominate with that alone. You'd have a whole team of Pavel Bures and Darren Helms skating around beating more skilled teams who weren't olympic speed skaters. I agree about the lobby, I hate the setup and if you really need a few rooms, make them a little more than 50. It always seems like there's an average of 60 people online and having 10 people in another room is stupid and pointless. Or just beef the servers and allow 200 per room. That should do it, I dunno if I've ever seen more than 200 in OTP lobbies at one time. But the skill factor is still there, it's just more team oriented now. No longer are you Wayne McPavel Howe just beasting an entire team on your own. You have to pass and play like a team and know how to use your skills. Loose puck dekes are stupid anyway. There should be an option to move while you deke, or an option to pick either one. I haven't seen anything to indicate to me that reflexes don't play a part anymore. This isn't like Madden adding useless semi-features to a POS just to get another bullet point on the back of the box. The skating even just 2 years ago was over the top terrible, just cartoony and now it feels pretty damn good. And the sliders are pretty impressive is set properly, but the option is there unlike a few other games where even the best sliders can't make the game fun.

I think for the derankers or douchers who like to be idiots there should be a few settings to keep it from being so easy. And idiots/teenagers usually don't like putting effort into their trolling, they like it nice and easy. If someone is idle for more than a minute, bye. Either kick him out or then give the group the option to do it. That would keep people from having their friends booted because sometimes the team is OK with it, like if they're all friends. Or if a player picks the goalie and runs out of the net, you're out. See ya. I'd even say boot them for half an hour or ban them but EA won't and I'd rather make them into players who will play rather than lose a potential opponent. The more players the better. So let them keep playing but make them play the next 1-3 games with a deranked player. 45 rated. Something like that. Or even just kicking them period would work for me. If someone wants to sit offside, have the game bring them onside against their will. If they keep it up, boot them. The difference between intentional offside and accidental is obvious enough for programmers to find a way to do this.

And get rid of that crap when a goalie takes a full second to try and throw both hands onto a loose puck and misses completely. But the best games overcome their flaws and this one does.

Edited by shoobiedoobin, 24 January 2013 - 07:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users