41 replies to this topic

#21 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Some I agree with. Some I don't. Like the vote kick thing. The realistic purpose would be to kick out derankers but you just know that a group of assholes would kick a player who is trying but just sucks. You said you played enough to get your legend card, you have to have heard how pissy and snobby the herd gets when they perceive someone as being noobish or sucking. They nerfed speed and stick handling because it was ridiculously unrealistic. Hell even after the nerfing it still is, at least the stick handling. You can still just jack up the two or three attributes that determine puck handling and possession and just jerk the deke stick far right to far left over and over like an idiot and no one will be able to take it from you without a serious fight. Like it's glued to your stick. They did improve the speed and took out a decent number of glitch shots. I often hear people complain about whatever glitch shot there is now (and to their credit, there's not many seriously game killing ones) but no one ever is appreciative that they got rid of s*** they could've easily left in there Madden style. Like the curve shot-that was worse than anything out there now, ten times over. Or the fact that you could juice speed/accel and dominate with that alone. You'd have a whole team of Pavel Bures and Darren Helms skating around beating more skilled teams who weren't olympic speed skaters. I agree about the lobby, I hate the setup and if you really need a few rooms, make them a little more than 50. It always seems like there's an average of 60 people online and having 10 people in another room is stupid and pointless. Or just beef the servers and allow 200 per room. That should do it, I dunno if I've ever seen more than 200 in OTP lobbies at one time. But the skill factor is still there, it's just more team oriented now. No longer are you Wayne McPavel Howe just beasting an entire team on your own. You have to pass and play like a team and know how to use your skills. Loose puck dekes are stupid anyway. There should be an option to move while you deke, or an option to pick either one. I haven't seen anything to indicate to me that reflexes don't play a part anymore. This isn't like Madden adding useless semi-features to a POS just to get another bullet point on the back of the box. The skating even just 2 years ago was over the top terrible, just cartoony and now it feels pretty damn good. And the sliders are pretty impressive is set properly, but the option is there unlike a few other games where even the best sliders can't make the game fun.

I think for the derankers or douchers who like to be idiots there should be a few settings to keep it from being so easy. And idiots/teenagers usually don't like putting effort into their trolling, they like it nice and easy. If someone is idle for more than a minute, bye. Either kick him out or then give the group the option to do it. That would keep people from having their friends booted because sometimes the team is OK with it, like if they're all friends. Or if a player picks the goalie and runs out of the net, you're out. See ya. I'd even say boot them for half an hour or ban them but EA won't and I'd rather make them into players who will play rather than lose a potential opponent. The more players the better. So let them keep playing but make them play the next 1-3 games with a deranked player. 45 rated. Something like that. Or even just kicking them period would work for me. If someone wants to sit offside, have the game bring them onside against their will. If they keep it up, boot them. The difference between intentional offside and accidental is obvious enough for programmers to find a way to do this.

And get rid of that crap when a goalie takes a full second to try and throw both hands onto a loose puck and misses completely. But the best games overcome their flaws and this one does.

Yeah, there are a lot of snobs, I don't consider myself one of them. I don't ever give anyone crap for playing their position and sucking at it, but rather the idiots who pick D and always join the rush, or hover all over the ice as a forward. I don't know how many times I have yelled at centers for crowding my right wing and intercepting the D's pass to me at the blue line... then causing a log jam since me and the C are right next to each other. You have a point about EA nerfing the individual effort... but I disagree that there was a problem before with it. Even a few years ago when you could have Darren Helm speed (as you put it), good D could shut you down, and team effort still won the day. And let's be honest... in OTP, how many times can you rely on a solid team effort if you got randoms on your team? Sometimes, my own individual effort in the past gave my team a chance to win the game when the rest of my time mostly sucked.

About realism... sure it's more realistic now, but that is based on the premise that realism takes precedence over other factors. I had MUCH more fun when it was less realistic, and my friends did too. And I mean, it wasn't THAT un-realistic... your players just moved somewhat faster and had better agility than real life.

I didn't say that reflexes don't play a part... just a dramatically reduced part compered to a few years ago. I used to be able to dangle the crap out of people without loose puck dekes.... this is no longer possible. All the D has to do is spam the poke check while skating backwards to knock the puck loose (this involves very little reflexes). I contend the only way to effectively dangle is the loose puck deke, which I am just not a fan of. Was never my style.  At any rate, whichever of our points are right or wrong... I simply do not have as much fun with the game as I used to thanks to the changes made... and have basically stopped playing.

Edit: I like some of your suggestions for dealing with griefers, and you may have a point about votekicking getting abused... unfortunately, there is currently NO solution at all... and I have about zero faith that EA will address the problem at all.

Edited by RedWingsDad, 25 January 2013 - 11:26 AM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#22 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Man I LOVE IT when I play drop-in and the guy that gets stuck at LD is playing LW all game, tapping his stick on the ice over and over again all game when he doesn't have the puck. Or that guy that takes the position you want and quits 5 mins into the first period. 

What do you guys primarily prefer to play when on club or OTP? I'm primarily RD, I enjoy it and it's the position I play best at. I currently have 270 games played and 192 points at RD. Yeah i'm not a PPG Dman but I always consider defense first and rarely jump into the play unless it makes sense and the RW is willing to drop back and help me out. Club this is the case more often as my friends aren't dicks when they play like a lot of OTP players are. 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#23 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Might be a minor thing that doesn't bother anyone else, but does EA Sports hate Petr Mrazek? He's been left out of the last 3-4 roster updates, and I can't find him anywhere. When I saw the newest roster download, I was really hoping they'd have every one, but Mrazek is still MIA, it seems.

#24 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

I love the garbage rating Brunner gets. 60? You're telling me there are jobbers in the dutch elite league probably better than him? Right. As if the Wings would go out of their way to scout, sign and give first line minutes to a guy who according to his attributes might forget to breath at random.

#25 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

Oh player ratings.. In GM Connected Tobias Enstrom 81 Keith Yandle 83... Dan Hamhuis 88 Ladislav Smid 85. What's wrong with this picture?

There's a generous handful of overalls that are just ridiculous, Smith got really shafted in overall and potential also.

#26 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Man I LOVE IT when I play drop-in and the guy that gets stuck at LD is playing LW all game, tapping his stick on the ice over and over again all game when he doesn't have the puck. Or that guy that takes the position you want and quits 5 mins into the first period. 

What do you guys primarily prefer to play when on club or OTP? I'm primarily RD, I enjoy it and it's the position I play best at. I currently have 270 games played and 192 points at RD. Yeah i'm not a PPG Dman but I always consider defense first and rarely jump into the play unless it makes sense and the RW is willing to drop back and help me out. Club this is the case more often as my friends aren't dicks when they play like a lot of OTP players are. 

I alternate between C and RW. I usually take C in OTP over giving it to the CPU or to some random who may or may not be able to win a faceoff. I like C a lot more now that there are battle in-front of the net mechanics. I like to park my ass in-front of the goalie ala Holmstrom for the screen or tip.

I also like C because I know how to play the position from a defensive aspect... falling back before the wingers to help the D and setting up a triangle with the D in the defensive zone.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#27 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

I don't play a lot of OTP and when I do it's for EASHL with my friend. We play like 10 games a month, go into the playoffs and are 1 and done, every single month. :ranting:

hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#28 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

I alternate between C and RW. I usually take C in OTP over giving it to the CPU or to some random who may or may not be able to win a faceoff. I like C a lot more now that there are battle in-front of the net mechanics. I like to park my ass in-front of the goalie ala Holmstrom for the screen or tip.

I also like C because I know how to play the position from a defensive aspect... falling back before the wingers to help the D and setting up a triangle with the D in the defensive zone.

I played D in NHL 09 through NHL 12. I stopped playing altogether in last year's installment, as forwards were superpowered and defense was not really possible. It was arcade-style hockey, and I didn't like it.

#29 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Once you get your legend card playing D is a lot easier. I pair up with a friend of mine on D playing OTP and Club and we rarely allow 10 shots against a game or more.

#30 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

D takes a ton of skill and even more instinct. No one plays a structured game, assignments and whatnot so you have to read and react all the time. Always be prioritizing, improvising, lots of words that end with ing lol.

If you can poke check and stay in position you should be OK. But if you really have the ability to utilize the poke, not spam, but truly maximize it then you can throw entire teams off their game. If you can poke the puck and stay exactly where you should be, you'll never have to hit or scramble. It's not easy but it's not impossible. It's to me the toughest position since it's the closest to requiring actual hockey instincts. Forward you can juice up your puck handle and agility and just wiggle the right stick, you don't need any skill. Or you can cherry pick or have your teammates carry you. In goal you can camp the crease and rely on your team. On D, you really are on your own. You need to know what to do, and be good at it.

#31 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

Anyone else having problems with Howard making stops in this game? Seems like he gives up some softies.

#32 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

Anyone else having problems with Howard making stops in this game? Seems like he gives up some softies.

I have him as my starter in the GM connected league i'm in.. he's usually hit or miss. Last season he was in the top 3 for SV% in the entire league and I didn't make the playoffs. This season he's running about a .830 SV% and among the bottom in the league. 

He is only rated an 84 but yeah, so far this year for me he lets in a lot of soft ones.

#33 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

On Superstar CPU always finds a way to score with small amount of shots. I have Ryan Miller (93 ovr), I lead the league, he leads GAA and Ws but his SV% is like 80-85% or something.

I really don't know how much overall matters with goalies compared to height for example. I heard last year height mattered more, so people used guys like Ben Bishop or Jason Missiaen. Of course Pekka Rinne is always a good choice.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#34 Mike J.

Mike J.

Rookie

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

Does anyone know if they've released any info on NHL 14. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for lockout mode.

#35 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

Does anyone know if they've released any info on NHL 14. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for lockout mode.

Not really outside of everyone "wish-list".

#36 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,933 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

Smallish tweaks, slightly if that better graphics, smallish tweaks and an updated roster - 65 $

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#37 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

Smallish tweaks, slightly if that better graphics, smallish tweaks and an updated roster - 65 $

New commentary not included.. same recycled Gary Thorne and Bill Clement voice over that we've been hearing for years. MIght add a new goal celebration or two and not fix the goal exploits that have existed since NHL 09. Looking forward to it. 

EA is the master of milking a franchise with the smallest amount of effort.

#38 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

Would like to see them try and make the arenas look more realistic.

#39 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:43 AM

New commentary not included.. same recycled Gary Thorne and Bill Clement voice over that we've been hearing for years. MIght add a new goal celebration or two and not fix the goal exploits that have existed since NHL 09. Looking forward to it. 

EA is the master of milking a franchise with the smallest amount of effort.

NHL 12's new innovations were breakable glass, goalie fights, and a mode that let you play as an overpowered hall-of-famer in Be-a-Pro mode. Woohoo.

I didn't even bother buying NHL 13 after how bad NHL 12 was.

#40 L3T5G0W1NG5

L3T5G0W1NG5

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:08 AM

What are your guys' online records? I think mine is like 56-13-2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users