• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
X13WINGS13X

Thoughts on the current forward lineup

Rate this topic

Not sure if this has been posted yet but, I've been glancing at the forward set up for the upcoming "tentative" season. Based on Babcock's history of line combinations, I think there are plenty of options he'll look at , but these are the two that seem likely in my eyes.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Damien Brunner ($1.350m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.750m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

and

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)

Damien Brunner ($1.350m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m)

Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.750m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

The 4th line of Miller-Abs-Cleary and the Euro-twin options are very dependent on Brunner, Nyquist, and Samuelsson playing up to the level that they are capable of.

Thoughts?

Bottom-six is very good. Among the best units in hockey. Very solid combination of energy, skill and now some "sandpaper" (by Red Wings standards) on the 4th line. Depth plays such a huge role in the NHL and IMO the strongest part of the roster right now is the bottom-six.

Top-six has had issues for years and hasn't improved at all. Zetterberg and Datsyuk are a year older, Filppula has to duplicate his strong season and Franzen will score close to 30 but lacks consistency and effort. The Red Wings have needed a legitimate goal-scoring winger since Hossa left. Bertuzzi and Samuelsson belong nowhere near one of the two top lines on a contending team. The alternatives are unproven players with upside at least, but minimal to no NHL experience. I really like Nyquist and feel his development is one of the most crucial factors in determining the Red Wings ceiling this season.

I think that considering the "extra" forwards we have, only one of Brunner and Nyquist play in the league full time this season. And I think (hope) they're going to get that top six forward spot over Bert.

Franzen-Datsyuk-Nyquist/Brunner

FIlppula-Zetterberg-Samuelsson

Bert-Helm-Cleary

Miller-Abs-Tootoo

Emmerton & Mursak (one of these two is dealt or waived when Eaves is medically cleared)

I really wish we had a more offensively driven 3rd line forward. No disrespect to Helm at all, but I just think a 4th line of Abdelkader-Helm-Tootoo would be one of the very best in the league. Plus, Abs at center doesn't do it for me. Helm can do the job at as the 3C, but boy would that 4th line rock.

In terms of that first line, I really don't want to see Pavs stuck with Mule and Bert again. I think Nyquist or Brunner have more raw, offensive talent at this point. I think Brunner, as a shoot first guy, would give us a more passive Mule... as he'd just dish the puck out to him. With Nyqust, Mule might be forced to shoot a bit more. Who knows for certain.

This is how I see it panning out, anyway.

I think they're still too small and not physical enough up front, especially come playoff time.

Jordin Tootoo is a start. Not a big guy, but he'll give us some much-needed sandpaper come playoff time. Hopefully we can get a physical defenseman before the summer is up. A guy like that on the back end will help in the postseason, as well.

Just a crazy thought but if Brunner and nyquist both make the roster some thing like this looks interesting to me on paper:

Flippula/Z/Samuelsson

Nyquist/Datayuk/Brunner

Franzen/Helm/Cleary

Tootoo/Abdelkader/Bertuzzi

Miller/Emmerton/Mursak

Eaves-IR

Emmerton most likely waived in that situation, and Eaves on IR since we can't actually ice a 5th line. I really think Nyquist is smart enough to play on Datsyuks line. Cleary could very well get top line minutes if he's healthy. Still kind of pains me I see Abdelkader at center but there really isn a whole lot of room for another winger at this point, however.

Edited by StayClassy

Me, too, I'm excited to see the variables in play. Sammy, Brunner, and Nyquist will make or break this offense. I don't think our offense will be markedly better than last year, but I'm thinking we may be less frustrated from a lack of work ethic out there.

Guest irishock

Franzen/Datsyuk/Brunner

Flip/Z/Samuelsson

Miller/Helm/Cleary

Tootoo-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi

The bottom 6 is a wrecking ball lineup while the top 6 has a lot of chemistry left over from last year. Hell, we could go NYR-NJD style with the bottom line and have 3 fights at the same time.

IMO if Brunner becomes the player that we wanted Datsyuk to be paired up with, this Wings offense is easily top 5 in the league.

Edited by irishock

I would go with this line up to start the season....

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Brunner

Filppula - Zetterberg - Franzen

Bertuzzi - Helm - Samuelsson

Cleary - Abdelkader - Tootoo

Extras : Miller and Mursak

LTIR : Eaves

Waived : Emmerton

Kronwall - Smith

Ericsson - Kindl

Quincey - White

Extra Lashoff or Colaiacovo (if signed)

Howard

Gustavsson

I think my biggest concern with the forward core is the lack of size up front, I really worry that we'll be held to the perimeter against good defenses. We obviously have some pretty good skill up there though so I'm sure we'll see some highlights throughout the season. I'm REALLY interested to see this Brunner kid though. If his shot is half as good as people say it is we might see a pretty dynamic top six this season.