• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

KrazyGangsta

Where Do You Rank Our Defense?

Rate this topic

I would say I would rank our defense as it stands in the top 15-20 in the league considering that we're having a major youth movement and that rookie mistakes are bound to happen.

How about you guys? Where do you see our defense ranking in between the 30 teams?

Which players do you see taking a role as a leader on defense and stepping up?

Guest irishock

20-25

We don't have a single D-man with more than 7 years of NHL experience, and that's a big factor. Kronwall is a number 2 that has to cover the #1 spot for now, a number 4 in White, number 5s in Ericsson, Smith and Quincey, an AHLer in Kindl. We're essentially replacing Lidstrom with rookie Smith, Rafalski with White, Stuart with Quincey. Unless we move Samuelsson to the D (scary I know), the blueline offense isn't good enough to negate the bad defense.

Edited by irishock

I think if you rate the Wings' defensemen, it might not be that glowing, but what about team defense? Have they thrived on having allstar defensemen in the past or has their defense been good because they play a great system and have great team defense?

I guess we'll see, hopefully sooner rather than later (i.e. CBA related)

I think we will be okay to everyones' surprise. Why do I say this? Because the Red Wings best move of the summer has been bringing in Tom Renney as assistant coach for the Defense. He has a lot of experience working with younger players, and has a very good defensive approach to his system. When he was the coach of the NY Rangers, they played a very solid defense system, and had an outstanding penalty killing system. There were several times, back in 2008, when Mike Babcock praised Renney and his system and sometimes even had the boys watch tapes to help them out. So I think Renney will be a huge help. By no means am I saying that we will be just as good as years past, but we won't be as bad as everyone seems to think.

I mean honestly, look at Jersey. Our dmen are way better then theirs, and they just came within 2 wins of a Stanley Cup. How about s***sburg? Their D is not that strong. Also, as someone said, we play a good TEAM defensive system. I guess we will have to wait and see, but I expect Babs and Renney will get things together.

A big question mark. Kronwall has gone from being a #4 to an undisputed #1 in just 2 years - a huge step up. He was probably the best #4 in the league, but is he good enough to be a #1 and lead the D-corps? Now I wish he'd been given more (any?) time on the first pairing these last few years.

Smith is still a rookie - a talented rookie, but a rookie nevertheless. Quincey, White, Ericsson can all be good 2nd pairing or bad 3rd pairing players depending on how well they perform. Kindl deserves to be in the AHL.

Its probably easier to name defense cores I'd rank under ours, because going from 1 - 24 teams would be a nightmare.

Probably around 25, while I love Kronner he is not a top pairing guy in my mind just like White though very good for our second pairing. Basically this team is short of a real top pairing which can't be fixed with the remaining options so either screw it, go with the young-guns or bring in some stopgaps.

I'd say we're mid-pack at the moment.

Kronwall-White

Quincey-Ericsson

Smith-Kindl

Not impressive, but not the worst group out there. When you lose a legend like Nicklas Lidstrom and a reliable 2nd pairing guy like Brad Stuart in the same offseason, the group isn't gonna look nearly as good, regardless of what happens, really. We'll get another defenseman before the season starts, effectively pushing Kindl to the 7th spot.

Our defense isn't as bad as people think. Kronwall-White is better than last year's Lidstrom-White. Ericsson took a big step forward last year and will be as good as Stuart was last year. Quincey will be better than last year, and a fifth, sixth, and seventh combination of Smith, Kindl, and (potentially) Colaiacovo is better than the Ericsson, Kindl, Commodore we started with last season.

Granted our defense wasn't that awesome last season, it was still pretty good, and I think we've got as good or better this year. Controversial? Maybe. But I think it's going to surprise a lot of people.

Our defense isn't as bad as people think. Kronwall-White is better than last year's Lidstrom-White. Ericsson took a big step forward last year and will be as good as Stuart was last year. Quincey will be better than last year, and a fifth, sixth, and seventh combination of Smith, Kindl, and (potentially) Colaiacovo is better than the Ericsson, Kindl, Commodore we started with last season.

Granted our defense wasn't that awesome last season, it was still pretty good, and I think we've got as good or better this year. Controversial? Maybe. But I think it's going to surprise a lot of people.

Kronner and White BETTER than the perfect human and White? No way, neither Kronner nor White are a top pairing both are very good choice for your second pairing.

This team will also have to change the style of playing.

Coli is a depth signing nothing more Monster and Howie will face tons of rubber asa season starts.

Sent from my BlackBerry

Guest irishock

Lidstrom-White was the best defensive duo we've had for some time now. Kronwall-Stuart collapsed way too much and Rafalski couldn't play in his own end after '08. It's going to be tough to replace the first pairing.

Another thing is Nick definitely elevated White's play. White was significantly worse when Nick was out or when paired with Quincey in the playoffs. I like Kronwall a lot, but he's going to have more responsibility than ever, let alone the expectation to make his defense partner better too. Nick made everyone look brilliant.

Another thing is Nick definitely elevated White's play. White was significantly worse when Nick was out or when paired with Quincey in the playoffs. I like Kronwall a lot, but he's going to have more responsibility than ever, let alone the expectation to make his defense partner better too. Nick made everyone look brilliant.

No doubt Ian White was helped by Lidstrom defensively, but Ian White has consistently put up 26,38,26 points without Lidstrom, then 32 with him. He's proven to be a solid number 2 for a while, and he was a hell of a steal. Everyone struggles when you have to play with a new partner, especially after playing a full season. Quincey needs to step up, he has the potential to be very good for us, but I cannot defend his play for us last year, he was brutal.

I'm content with our defense, especially with the depth signing of Carlo, I'd say we are just outside the top 10, but in the top 15. But we are also younger than in the past, and have potential to be one of, if not the best offensive unit in the league.

yeah even with Covo on board it's looking like a middle of the pack D, but like wings_fanatic posted earlier having Renney could make a difference and with some luck and if they don't get too banged up they have the potential to finish 10th to 15th

of course, all of this is moot until training camp/the season actually starts....

I'm gonna go against the grain on this one and say we're around #5 in the league. There's only 2 teams I rank in the top and that's the Bruins and Rangers. The Wings I would lump in with the Hawks, Kings, Shatbirds, Blues, Cansucks, Sharts and Jets to more or less round out the top 10 ish. Look at the top 6 on every other team in the NHL and you'll notice weaknesses on every club. Losing Lids and Stuart sucks, but still having Kronwall, White and now Coliacovo, you know what to expect from those guys. Ericsson is turning into the shutdown guy he was supposed to be, Smith may win the Calder if he gets top 4 minutes and Quincey may have a nice revival this year getting him back to his top 4 form. Kindl is the black sheep. Not sure what to make of him. But if our D looks like so, i'm not horribly worried:

Kronwall - White

Smith - Quincey

Ericsson - Coliacovo

Kindl

Personally, i'd swap White and Ericsson, but that's just me.

20-25

We don't have a single D-man with more than 7 years of NHL experience, and that's a big factor. Kronwall is a number 2 that has to cover the #1 spot for now, a number 4 in White, number 5s in Ericsson, Smith and Quincey, an AHLer in Kindl. We're essentially replacing Lidstrom with rookie Smith, Rafalski with White, Stuart with Quincey. Unless we move Samuelsson to the D (scary I know), the blueline offense isn't good enough to negate the bad defense.

Kronner and White both have more then 7 years experience, the average age of our defence may be 27 but I think they are highly underrated. Smith (if he is as good as we think) will be great, Colaiacovo is a very solid d-man as long as he stays healthy. Ericsson has progressively gotten better year by year, and made no where near as many mistakes last year (in fact stuart made more mistakes). Quincey may flourish this year in our system, and kindl will probably still be crap. but all in all I would rate our defence in the top 10-15

I'm gonna go against the grain on this one and say we're around #5 in the league. There's only 2 teams I rank in the top and that's the Bruins and Rangers. The Wings I would lump in with the Hawks, Kings, Shatbirds, Blues, Cansucks, Sharts and Jets to more or less round out the top 10 ish. Look at the top 6 on every other team in the NHL and you'll notice weaknesses on every club. Losing Lids and Stuart sucks, but still having Kronwall, White and now Coliacovo, you know what to expect from those guys. Ericsson is turning into the shutdown guy he was supposed to be, Smith may win the Calder if he gets top 4 minutes and Quincey may have a nice revival this year getting him back to his top 4 form. Kindl is the black sheep. Not sure what to make of him. But if our D looks like so, i'm not horribly worried:

Kronwall - White

Smith - Quincey

Ericsson - Coliacovo

Kindl

Personally, i'd swap White and Ericsson, but that's just me.

Who are the shatbirds? I don't know of such a team in the nhl. In fact it would be so much easier and more mature if you used actual names, likes sharks, not sharts. o_0

Nobody really noticed how bad Stuart really was the last 2 years... The way Ericsson performed after injury is an improvement to Stuart

Thank you, finally someone else has said it. I said it all year last year that he was playing like s***, no one believes me.

Who are the shatbirds? I don't know of such a team in the nhl. In fact it would be so much easier and more mature if you used actual names, likes sharks, not sharts. o_0

Thank you, finally someone else has said it. I said it all year last year that he was playing like s***, no one believes me.

That would be the Penguins obviously. And you didn't notice Cansucks? I have a deep hatred for those 3 teams, so I use slang to describe them. 99% of my posts here are well thought out and mature, it appears you've tapped into that 1%. Either way, those are the teams that the Wings D would be lumped in with as equals and the main point is that only the Rangers and Bruins have overall better D in my opinion. And the slang for teams can't be the only thing you took from my post...it was fairly descriptive despite your criticism.

As for part 2 of your post. I agree 100%. Stuart had his bags packed all year. He was ok, but he wasn't great shutdown Stuart and clearly, that's what we needed him to be last year. He looked lost for most of the year. He still hit and blocked shots, but his positioning/hockey sense was subpar.

One other thing...I like the Coliacovo signing as he is a very solid dman, but I still think that Kenny should have given Cam Barker a closer look. Probably could have got him cheap and he's got even more upside than Carlo.