• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
datterberg1340

Wings sign Carlo Colaiacovo to 2 year deal, $2.5m cap hit

Rate this topic

For some reason I can't kick this feeling that kindl could be a 4/5 dman if we gave him the chance. he has the size and skill. I watched almost every game last season and every game he played in and I think there is something there...

As the highest pick the Wings have had in years, I was hoping for even more than that from Kindl. But last season he couldn't even outplay Commie for a spot in the lineup.

In all seriousness now, we do need to add at least one more piece to the back-end. Why? In a word, injuries. (Something Colaiacovo knows a thing or two about.) Ideally, we bring in an elite partner for Kronwall. But that's not happening, because Holland will never trade another roster player ever again. So, Vandermeer.

Does he have a nickname, like Coca Cola or something? Because there's no way I'm gonna be able to spell that correctly on a regular basis.

We could just go with Coco (not to be confused with Koko=Kopecky).

Cocoa? Hot, steamy, rich, and probably good with marshmallows.

Hopefully he can stay healthy. He can put up some points and plays physical on occasion. I don't know a ton about his defensive game in his own zone, though. Since it is only a 2-year contract, I don't mind this.

In all seriousness now, we do need to add at least one more piece to the back-end. Why? In a word, injuries. (Something Colaiacovo knows a thing or two about.) Ideally, we bring in an elite partner for Kronwall. But that's not happening, because Holland will never trade another roster player ever again. So, Vandermeer.

I'd cream my pants if Jim Vandermeer signed with Detroit. I don't see anything wrong with carrying 8 defensemen. Get Vandermeer for when someone gets hurt (Because it is basically assumed that Detroit will have injury troubles).

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Hopefully he can stay healthy. He can put up some points and plays physical on occasion. I don't know a ton about his defensive game in his own zone, though. Since it is only a 2-year contract, I don't mind this.

I'd cream my pants if Jim Vandermeer signed with Detroit. I don't see anything wrong with carrying 8 defensemen. Get Vandermeer for when someone gets hurt (Because it is basically assumed that Detroit will have injury troubles).

Post of truth.

Makes you wonder how a guy like Ericsson who's averaged about the same amount of games played as Colaiacovo the last few seasons but with less than half the points, can command almost a million dollars more a year in salary.

Just don't get it...

Makes you wonder how a guy like Ericsson who's averaged about the same amount of games played as Colaiacovo the last few seasons but with less than half the points, can command almost a million dollars more a year in salary.

Just don't get it...

Believe it or not points aren't all that plays into salary for defensemen.

Carlo is a decent puck moving defenseman, he's nothing more than an average to below average in terms of defense, Ericsson plays a ton more in shorthanded situations, and is much more physical. Different players demand different salaries depending on the role they play. One also had much more leverage on the team, Ericsson's not a world beater by any means, but he does provide something the wings don't have much of on the back end, toughness, and size. Which the Wing's lost quite a bit with Stuart.

Believe it or not points aren't all that plays into salary for defensemen.

Carlo is a decent puck moving defenseman, he's nothing more than an average to below average in terms of defense, Ericsson plays a ton more in shorthanded situations, and is much more physical. Different players demand different salaries depending on the role they play. One also had much more leverage on the team, Ericsson's not a world beater by any means, but he does provide something the wings don't have much of on the back end, toughness, and size. Which the Wing's lost quite a bit with Stuart.

Fair points, but I gotta disagree with you on Ericsson being more physical. While the guy does have the size advantage, he's also a pylon and rarely makes use of it. He is a decent puckmover though.

Haven't watched too much of Carlo so can't really comment on his defensive abilities but yeah, the general consensus seems to be he's a solid 5th/6thdefender when he's healthy. Also, he's got pretty good numbers.

Fair points, but I gotta disagree with you on Ericsson being more physical. While the guy does have the size advantage, he's also a pylon and rarely makes use of it. He is a decent puckmover though.

Haven't watched too much of Carlo so can't really comment on his defensive abilities but yeah, the general consensus seems to be he's a solid 5th/6thdefender when he's healthy. Also, he's got pretty good numbers.

Well by all measures you can find Ericsson ranks as a much more physical defenseman than Carlo, he had 60 more hits than Carlo, and was in the top 50 among defensemen. I know that hits aren't a good stat at all with the discrepancies in certain arenas, but it's not completely meaningless. I felt Ericsson improved his physical aspect last season, he was much tougher in front of the net and in corners than what I recall from season's prior, and the hits support that.

But yeah, Carlo is a solid depth signing, at the very least we have good depth on the back end, if we could add a good top pairing defenseman, or Brendan Smith becomes one(Still think he's one of the top defensive prospects in hockey, his numbers at each level give credence to the fact that he could be one) we will be looking very good. As it is, it's not terrible considering the bad luck we've had with just missing Suter.

So I'm thinking the way to remember how to spell his name is to break it down into three parts.

First C-O-L

Then A-I-A

and then C-O-V-O.

Kind of like remembering a phone number. Do you need an unspectacular defenseman to strengthen your depth? Call area code COL-AIA-COVO.

BAHAHA That is awesome. I never thought about it like that :)

Guest Crymson

Just don't get it...

As others have noted, points aren't everything. Ericsson was the team's best PK defenseman last season, Lidstrom and Kronwall included, and the PK suffered badly when he was injured.