• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aki

Abdeklader signs 4 year extension, $1.8m cap hit

Rate this topic

4 year deal for Abs...around $1.7M per season. Not too shabby.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=641400&navid=DL|DET|home

DETROIT – The Red Wings are likely done with roster moves for the summer after signing their own restricted free agent Justin Abdelkader on Friday.

The Michigan native signed a four-year deal to remain with the Wings, who now have 16 NHL forwards under contract. He became a restricted free agent on July 1 and could have filed for arbitration. However, Abdelkader was confident that a deal could be struck without the services of an arbiter

Read story for more...

This kid is slowly turning into the LGW whipping boy, but I think he's the most underrated player on the team, especially his defensive play. I'm happy to see him stick around.

I agree. He may not be a future star, but he brings a number of elements to the team that we would otherwise be lacking. His defensive play is very good, he adds a measure of sandpaper, will throw when he has to (granted, not often or particularly well), and perhaps most importantly brings youthful enthusiasm and energy. I think anything more would've been an overpayment, but I'm happy with these terms and glad to see him remain on our roster.

Too much in my mind, he still takes too many boneheaded penalties, his offense is easily replaced by others with a lower cap hit, and his defense is suspect in key situations.

This kid is slowly turning into the LGW whipping boy, but I think he's the most underrated player on the team, especially his defensive play. I'm happy to see him stick around.

I agree. He fills a nice niche for the Wings and I like that he is locked up for a few years. I need to find a player shirt with his name now.

Too much in my mind, he still takes too many boneheaded penalties, his offense is easily replaced by others with a lower cap hit, and his defense is suspect in key situations.

I'm with ya. I know it isn't really his role, but I expected more from Abby offensively at this point in his development. He has also been terrible in two consecutive playoffs.

As others have stated, he's better suited at wing than center. I think his best attribute is his physicality and forechecking ability, which is more limited playing center.

I hope there is a "no fighting" clause in his contract. I cringe whenever he drops the mitts. The boy needs to get some lessons from Joe Kocur -- fighting coach?

Well, at least he can beat Max Lapierre. But yes, I agree that he is a lousy fighter. Maybe Tootoo can give him a few pointers. Guy is small but a pretty good fighter.

Even if Abby doesn't live up to his original potential, he will be at least an upgraded Draper.

:blink:

Huh? Are you saying he'll be better than a 4 time Stanley Cup Champion and someone who played over 1,000 games as a Red Wing?

Huh? Are you saying he'll be better than a 4 time Stanley Cup Champion and someone who played over 1,000 games as a Red Wing?

Not to mention a consumate professional, ultra hard worker, fourth liner who wore an "A", Selke winner, and the closest Chuck Norris look alike in the Western hemisphere. Drapes would still school Abby. Who knows what Drapes' career would look like if he had been given the opportunity his whole career that he was given during 03-04.

Edited by achildr1

Totally agree. Drapes was super wheels, great defensively, all heart and awesome in the face off circle. not even comparable

Not to mention a consumate professional, ultra hard worker, fourth liner who wore an "A", Selke winner, and the closest Chuck Norris look alike in the Western hemisphere. Drapes would still school Abby. Who knows what Drapes' career would look like if he had been given the opportunity his whole career that he was given during 03-04.

Lol beat me to it!

He should be on the wing. Maybe when Sheahan comes up.

Yeah its a shame really. The difference is night and day when you see him playing wing. But theyre desparate for a fourth line center so he gets stuck there. Between Sheahan and Andersson, a capable 4 C is on the way soon and we will see him moved to wing I'm sure

Very pumped that Abby inked a 4yr deal. Now all I have to do is visit hockeytown authentics and get a jersey to make it official.

Abby/Helm = wave of the future

Helm is a career 3rd line center, and Abby will eventually either find a role or price himself out of Detroit.