• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:02 PM

I guess we are all in a bad mood thanks to the lockout, so I've been thinking about a rival league, basics:

- no cap
- luxury tax
- original 6 teams + Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington, Vancouver
- commissioner voted 50/50 by players and owners

Thats ten teams who are doing well and right now are paying for some failed franchises. I think the players would appreciate a league without a CBA. If the stars are flying into the rival league and leaving the NHL behind I think there is a big chance this league could overtake the NHL given some time. I mean, which teams would fans rather see Wings versus Rangers or Coyotes versus Blues? *lol*

Edited by frankgrimes, 15 September 2012 - 01:08 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#2 YougotDatsyuked

YougotDatsyuked

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

I think, however unlikely it may be, this is the best idea I have heard in a very long time.

#3 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think any of those teams can take the team names, colors, or logos with them if they were to try that.

#4 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

Only one team west of Chicago?

#5 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think any of those teams can take the team names, colors, or logos with them if they were to try that.

Well if you "own" the team it is yours so that should be a possibility.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#6 FifeHockeyNut

FifeHockeyNut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:46 AM

Well if you "own" the team it is yours so that should be a possibility.

Are the logos, names etc not registered trademarks of the NHL? Although I totally agree with you that a team owner should "own" these entities.

#7 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

Even if the owners did have the ability to do so, they're the ones that locked out the players, so why would they start a rival league?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#8 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

Yeah, that would just start another negotiation disaster between the owners and players in a new league. Unless you are somehow suggesting the players should start a league on their own , which is an interesting idea but where do you get the cash for building new arenas and such? Maybe if the players pooled their money and bought a bunch of minor league facilities and shared ownership of it, but I am guessing that would cost a pretty penny.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#9 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

I'm sure Mr I. would start one. I always get the feeling he's one of these owners who's not on the same page as most of the others, he doesn't care how much he pays players as long as he can get the best team possible. Dude wants to win

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#10 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

Any league should have no ties to the current NHL, other than signing most of its players and putting teams in some of its markets.