• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frankgrimes

idea: Original 6 + top teams rival league

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I guess we are all in a bad mood thanks to the lockout, so I've been thinking about a rival league, basics:

- no cap

- luxury tax

- original 6 teams + Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington, Vancouver

- commissioner voted 50/50 by players and owners

Thats ten teams who are doing well and right now are paying for some failed franchises. I think the players would appreciate a league without a CBA. If the stars are flying into the rival league and leaving the NHL behind I think there is a big chance this league could overtake the NHL given some time. I mean, which teams would fans rather see Wings versus Rangers or Coyotes versus Blues? *lol*

Edited by frankgrimes

Unfortunately, I don't think any of those teams can take the team names, colors, or logos with them if they were to try that.

Unfortunately, I don't think any of those teams can take the team names, colors, or logos with them if they were to try that.

Well if you "own" the team it is yours so that should be a possibility.

Well if you "own" the team it is yours so that should be a possibility.

Are the logos, names etc not registered trademarks of the NHL? Although I totally agree with you that a team owner should "own" these entities.

Even if the owners did have the ability to do so, they're the ones that locked out the players, so why would they start a rival league?

Yeah, that would just start another negotiation disaster between the owners and players in a new league. Unless you are somehow suggesting the players should start a league on their own , which is an interesting idea but where do you get the cash for building new arenas and such? Maybe if the players pooled their money and bought a bunch of minor league facilities and shared ownership of it, but I am guessing that would cost a pretty penny.

I'm sure Mr I. would start one. I always get the feeling he's one of these owners who's not on the same page as most of the others, he doesn't care how much he pays players as long as he can get the best team possible. Dude wants to win

Any league should have no ties to the current NHL, other than signing most of its players and putting teams in some of its markets.