• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

[Retired] Official Lockout Thread

Rate this topic

The attempt to argue that the lockout contrvenes Quebec labour laws failed, but there is another attempt by the PA; from CBC:

Lawyers for players from Alberta’s two NHL teams told a labour relations board hearing panel today it has no choice but to declare the lockout illegal under provincial law.

“The lockout action is contrary to the laws of this province and no one gets to choose whether these laws apply to them in this province,” Bob Blair, the players’ lawyer told the panel. “The law is the law is the law.”

From TSN:

The National Hockey League and NHL Players' Association have scheduled to meet in Toronto on Monday to finish off last season's hockey-related revenue (HRR) numbers, including escrow payments for players.

Both sides are hopeful that negotiations on a new Collective Bargaining Agreement will resume following Monday's meeting.

From TSN:

Ya I read this. Basically what I got out of it was, we still have no meetings planned but they are meeting to talk about last years money so here's to hoping (raises glass for a cheers) :clap:. Let me know when the NHL comes to an agreement, till then I'm on strike :withstupid: <<< this shuld be pointed at a picture of Bettman and Fehr

The attempt to argue that the lockout contrvenes Quebec labour laws failed, but there is another attempt by the PA; from CBC:

a waste of legal resources. there is no chance that the pa will win on this issue.

their time would be better spent on trying to get the owners and themselves to the bargaining table

You know what was weird. I turned on the TV yesterday and there was this game on where a bunch of guys ran around in the grass playing catch and hugging up on each other. I thought they called it foosball? I don't know, it was rather weird, but without a hockey game to turn to, I just kept watching.

ARE YOU LISTENING NHL?

According to ESPN the CBA isn't technically on the agenda. They're getting together to discuss the accounting for last year's Hockey Related Revenue.

I'm guessing it's them trying to get on the same page about how much money is actually there to divvy up and get a handle on what's not included in HRR.

TORONTO -- The NHL and NHL Players' Association are set to meet for the first time in nearly two weeks, but a discussion about a new collective bargaining agreement isn't on the agenda.

Instead, the sides will discuss the accounting for last season's hockey-related revenue when they sit down together Monday morning in Toronto.

It's the first time they've met since Sept. 12, when each side tabled a proposal.

The league enacted a lockout when the CBA expired three days later.

The work stoppage has already caused a delay in the start of training camps and prompted the cancellation of September's preseason games.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8417799/nhl-nhlpa-discuss-last-season-revenue-monday-meeting

Cleary thinks this lockout could last longer than the last one. And apparently he's not the only player who believes that.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405999

Of course he's going to say that. What else would he say? "You know, it'll probably get resolved in a couple months cause our side is planning to cave soon." This is the NHLPA's poker face.

Was more thinking about talented youngsters who are still willing to play for 1-2 mln a year...or does the NHLPA block those players from playing?

I know I was just making a play off the movie but I think it would be pointless for the owners, it won't draw fans, it costs to run it and the insurance... Just a bigger waste of money... In my opinion and would actually give players to just say... "See we fill the arenas not the owners just putting guys on the ice"

Cleary thinks this lockout could last longer than the last one. And apparently he's not the only player who believes that.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405999

Yeah, it has to. Last lockout they lost a whole season and then caved into all the demands of the owners to get the next season started.

The owners will not even remotely consider negotiating until a whole season is lost AND it continues into the next season. Right now the owners are thinking "we'll just wait it out until before the start of the 2013-14 season and the players will cave again to get the next season going again like they did last time"

If the lockout goes into a second season, then the owners will start to get nervous and realize the players are serious this time.

And if the players aren't willing to let the lockout go into the 2013-14 season, then honestly, they may as well just cave in to all the owners demands now and get it over with.

Thats the reality of the situation.

At this point, the players and the owners just need to let the league die. The owners are acting like entitled brats while the players are not willing to give any ground. Seriously, screw this league and the greed. I already promised myself the only money the league is going to see from me for the next 5-6 years will be what I watch on TV. No more center ice. No more hockey tickets. No more merchandise. I will end up saving about $1500-$2000 a hockey season by not spending a dime on these greedy screwballs. If thats the only way to make them listen, then I will do my part to get their full attention.

At this point, the players and the owners just need to let the league die. The owners are acting like entitled brats while the players are not willing to give any ground. Seriously, screw this league and the greed. I already promised myself the only money the league is going to see from me for the next 5-6 years will be what I watch on TV. No more center ice. No more hockey tickets. No more merchandise. I will end up saving about $1500-$2000 a hockey season by not spending a dime on these greedy screwballs. If thats the only way to make them listen, then I will do my part to get their full attention.

The players gave ground with every proposal they've made. As has been pointed out multiple times, they're not asking for anything more. They just want to lose less.

If we're trying to meet in the middle and you start by backing up 100 yards, it doesn't really matter if we both take 3 steps forward.

I know I was just making a play off the movie but I think it would be pointless for the owners, it won't draw fans, it costs to run it and the insurance... Just a bigger waste of money... In my opinion and would actually give players to just say... "See we fill the arenas not the owners just putting guys on the ice"

You might be right yes, but was just thinking out loud on how to just start the regular season. I don't mind at all seeing Detroit's prospects giving it their all in the NHL when given a chance.

Yeah, it has to. Last lockout they lost a whole season and then caved into all the demands of the owners to get the next season started.

The owners will not even remotely consider negotiating until a whole season is lost AND it continues into the next season. Right now the owners are thinking "we'll just wait it out until before the start of the 2013-14 season and the players will cave again to get the next season going again like they did last time"

If the lockout goes into a second season, then the owners will start to get nervous and realize the players are serious this time.

And if the players aren't willing to let the lockout go into the 2013-14 season, then honestly, they may as well just cave in to all the owners demands now and get it over with.

Thats the reality of the situation.

I wonder who gets nervous first...the owners of the players? History says the players...and from my own opinion I also think the players would be getting nervous before the owners.

Just think of it...owners of the losing teams don't have to pay the players, therefore saving a lot of money. Besides the "higher talented" players (even they can earn only less in the KHL under current rules), others will be playing in the AHL or other lower leagues making a lot less money.

You can say what you want, but the paychecks/contracts they receive from the NHL are always very generous (even if they have to give up 10% of it).

saw this earlier

http://themccabechro...h.html?spref=tw

I wonder who gets nervous first...the owners of the players? History says the players...and from my own opinion I also think the players would be getting nervous before the owners.

Just think of it...owners of the losing teams don't have to pay the players, therefore saving a lot of money. Besides the "higher talented" players (even they can earn only less in the KHL under current rules), others will be playing in the AHL or other lower leagues making a lot less money.

You can say what you want, but the paychecks/contracts they receive from the NHL are always very generous (even if they have to give up 10% of it).

the top dogs and the face of the union players like dan cleary might be willing to drag this out for a year but i think the lesser known players like the drew millers and patrick eaves of the league are going to be squirming once their paychecks stop come october

Edited by chances14

The players gave ground with every proposal they've made. As has been pointed out multiple times, they're not asking for anything more. They just want to lose less.

If we're trying to meet in the middle and you start by backing up 100 yards, it doesn't really matter if we both take 3 steps forward.

The players gave ground temporarily, but not permanently. Why can't they meet in the middle at 52-48? If the league would have stepped forward and put an offer on the table for 5 years at that figure, then I would believe you. A temporary rollback in year 1, with percentages climbing through year 2 and back up to where we are today at year 3 is a concession, but its not a big one. The greed on the owners side is well known, but the players have to be held to a standard as well. A temporary rollback is not the solution. You make it sound like the players gave a lot of concessions, but in reality, they really threw the ownership a small treat and nothing more.

You and I both agree that two rational parties could have had a CBA hammered out in 2-4 hours. Fehr and Bettman are not rational though.

saw this earlier

http://themccabechro...h.html?spref=tw

the top dogs and the face of the union players like dan cleary might be willing to drag this out for a year but i think the lesser known players like the drew millers and patrick eaves of the league are going to be squirming once their paychecks stop come october

Isn't this actually bad press for the players? A player saying they have absolutely no problem with sitting out even more than a season in order to secure their huge paychecks?