• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

[Retired] Official Lockout Thread

Rate this topic

Good article by James mirtle talking about money difference between players and owners proposals. Lot closer than we might think

http://www.theglobea...article4634609/

It is a lot closer than what bettman is claiming it to be. The problem is Bettman wants to "win" this war to prove he is better than Fehr, Which is why he refuses to meet without preconditions, and why it's his offer or nothing. If Bettman's offer is the one they use, he looks great to the owners and to the fans. If Fehr wins the war he looks great to the players and fans, and Bettman possibly (hopefully) gets canned. It's all just a PR battle, it wouldn't matter if they were $50 apart or $600 million

It is a lot closer than what bettman is claiming it to be. The problem is Bettman wants to "win" this war to prove he is better than Fehr, Which is why he refuses to meet without preconditions, and why it's his offer or nothing. If Bettman's offer is the one they use, he looks great to the owners and to the fans. If Fehr wins the war he looks great to the players and fans, and Bettman possibly (hopefully) gets canned. It's all just a PR battle, it wouldn't matter if they were $50 apart or $600 million

Good summary if both would put their egos aside things would be easier. Everyone is talking about the damn split but the real problem is tied to the other things.

Biut whatever there are other leagues to watch.

Sent from my BlackBerry

Good summary. Both are posturing for the end of the next CBA. They're both letting each other know that they are going to win from now on no matter what so that whichever one blinks first on this one will be considered the "weak" one for the next go-round.

Let's hope that the next CBA gets signed through 2199. I should be good and dead by then.

Harrison Mooney with Puck Daddy posted a good summary of the NHL pulling the offer off the table, and provides a little insight into just how PR-oriented the NHL's offer was. I'd recommend giving it a read.

Some highlights...

I would imagine that, even before Daly assured the players he wasn't threatening them, they weren't all that threatened. The proposal that's come off the table? They sort of rejected it last week. This is a little like parents removing the vegetables from the dinner table because their child refuses to eat them.
Of course, like the offer itself, this dramatic withdrawal isn't so much about what the players think. It's about what we think, and it has been since it hit NHL.com last week. I would argue that the proposal wasn't designed to save the 82-game season so much as it was designed to look like it was designed that way, thereby making the players seem like a bunch of jerks when they looked it over and came to the reasonable conclusion that it wasn't for them.

We can mourn the loss of the 82-game season, but keep in mind that we already did that back at the beginning of October when the NHL canceled the first block of games. More than anything, the last two weeks have really been about re-staging that mourning in a way that redirects our anger at the players.

That is pretty apropros. The vegetables are something the children need to stay healthy. But hey, hope the players continue to enjoy their scurvy. Some day, candy coated vegetables will come to them if they just keep refusing to eat them, right?

I've just flat-out had it. I fear for the future of North American sports as lockouts have become the norm upon the expiration of any given CBA. As much as it pains me to admit, I don't see negotiations and deals getting done anytime before the last minute or later going forward in any of the big 4.

Great job NA sports....way to piss on the fans who actually make all of you your money!

A great article on why firing Bettman or Fehr would solve nothing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/firing-gary-bettman-donald-fehr-won-t-solve-123818740--nhl.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

So let's say it happens today. Right now. As you're reading this. Bettman: Fired. Fehr: Fired.

Then what?

Does the NHLPA just go out and get a guy who won't carry the water in a way they see fit, and instead bows to whatever terrible offer Bettman shoves across the table of some highrise boardroom? Do the owners go out and get a guy who's going to listen more carefully to NHLPA offers and consider them with all due weight and respect, and prosecute this war on players' rights with more leniency? If you think the answer to either question is, "Yes," then please contact your local law enforcement agency, as you are probably a danger to yourself and others.

The tough-guy posturing would continue regardless. Whoever replaced Bettman or Fehr would have the same bosses — whether there are 29 or 700-something of them — and would probably not be allowed to drastically alter their courses of action. Again, unless one side gets desperate (that would be the players, and them only) neither one seems likely to blink any time soon, and even if they did, they'd dance with who brought them.

A great article on why firing Bettman or Fehr would solve nothing.

http://sports.yahoo...._medium=twitter

The only reason Bettman has so much power is because he gave himself it. He chose who to put on the board, and created the rule of needing 23 owners to overturn him, after he gathered up his group of 8 owners that will always do what he says they should. They are like a gang of schoolyard bullies, one guy bullying them while the rest of the group cheers him on behind him.

The only reason Bettman has so much power is because he gave himself it. He chose who to put on the board, and created the rule of needing 23 owners to overturn him, after he gathered up his group of 8 owners that will always do what he says they should. They are like a gang of schoolyard bullies, one guy bullying them while the rest of the group cheers him on behind him.

Point is that if Bettman was fired, then the next guy would be doing the same thing.

Point is that if Bettman was fired, then the next guy would be doing the same thing.

Many people have made this unprovable claim, but really how could anyone possibly do worse? The NHL by far leads the 4 major pro sports in games lost and that's all occurred under Bettman's reign.

He's not just a patsy for the owners. He's supposed to be the steward of the league.

I'd like to think they could find someone who of course would still have the interests of the owners in mind, but be able to use other strategies in negotiations than just the lockout. Instead of seeing the realignment as an opportunity for the league to involve players and establish some good will headed into the CBA negotiations, Bettman used it as a show of force and PR stunt to try and make the union look bad. Then followed it up with a first proposal that was essentially "F You!"

Andy Strickland@andystrickland

Sources say #NHL pulled latest offer from the table partly because not every owner liked the deal. Several clubs weren't on board

John Buccigross@Buccigross

NHL sources tell me the NHL will cancel Winter Classic and All Star Game. Announcement presently scheduled for Monday.

once they cancel the winter classic, i'm done following this lockout stuff since i have tickets to it and was the only reason why i really hoped that this lockout wouldn't last the entire season.

wake me up when these guys get a deal done.

Edited by chances14

once they cancel the winter classic, i'm done following this lockout stuff since i have tickets to it and was the only reason why i really hoped that this lockout wouldn't last the entire season.

This is what I still don't understand. The players don't stand to make any additional money for participating in the WC, do they? It's THE LEAGUE that is going to rake in an assload of $ so this logic just makes no sense to me! I would think they would be waiting until well into November before they start looking at cancellation.

Any business brains out there have any insight? Or is this just a continuation of the wild d!ck swinging we've been so lucky to have witnessed so far?

I'm going to print off 2 copies of my receipt for my WC tix, wipe my hiney with them, and send them to the league and the PA. Happy lockout y'all!

This is what I still don't understand. The players don't stand to make any additional money for participating in the WC, do they? It's THE LEAGUE that is going to rake in an assload of $ so this logic just makes no sense to me! I would think they would be waiting until well into November before they start looking at cancellation.

Any business brains out there have any insight? Or is this just a continuation of the wild d!ck swinging we've been so lucky to have witnessed so far?

I'm going to print off 2 copies of my receipt for my WC tix, wipe my hiney with them, and send them to the league and the PA. Happy lockout y'all!

i think they are doing it to get rid of any possible leverage that the players might think they have over the owners with the winter classic.

NHL officially announced the cancellation of all games through November 30th. A total of 326 games scrapped, which accounts for 26.5% of the season.

I think that brings the total to 2,024 regular season games lost under Bettman. He's increasing his record lead.

And while the owners outvoted Bettman and saved half the season and playoffs in '95, you can add the entire 2004 Stanley Cup playoffs to that total.

By comparison MLB is next closest with 948 games and the NBA has lost 704.

And while the owners outvoted Bettman and saved half the season and playoffs in '95, you can add the entire 2004 Stanley Cup playoffs to that total.

That's a minimum of 60 games, maximum of 105 games. So that's at least 2,084 games lost, probably closer to 2,100 games or more...