• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

[Retired] Official Lockout Thread

Rate this topic

hopefully it is. i have a feeling that the winter classic being cancelled might have woken some of the players up in realzing that the owners aren't bluffing

the problem i see is that, simliar to bettman, fehr, has has almost unlimited power so if he's on his own agenda, there's nothing that the players can really do about it.

http://www.thestar.c...n-the-nhlpa-cox

just something to keep in mind

also this from strickland

Oh well finally we m i g h t see some progress...

some more tweets from dreger

As I said many times last night, the offer reported on Make Whole was made verbally on Tues...B.Daly to S.Fehr. Part of lengthy discussion.

Formal or otherwise, the fact the owners are willing to cover the costs of Make Whole is in play. I'm surprised D.Fehr isn't more pleased.

Rather than criticize language of reports, PA leadership would be better served working on ways to make a deal for its players.

For the record, it was a player related source who provided the tip and the NHL reluctantly confirmed the story just before 6pm Fri.

I'm certain of this, based on number of texts received from players. They want a deal and want their leadership to focus on getting it done.

Not to say the players are caving...they're not, but they want focus to remain on negotiations and away from petty memos to media.

i think this is a very good sign

Following further phone conversations today, Bill Daly and Steve will meet tomorrow in a city and location that both sides have agreed to keep confidential in an attempt to keep the focus on the talks and not on conducting media scrums. We will update everyone following this meeting tomorrow.

maybe, just maybe, both sides are finally going to stop all the pr bs, buckle down and try to get a deal done.

saw this on hfboards in regards to this meeting :lol:

So they started with the Lord of the Rings trilogy and might move on to the Star Wars movies afterwards. With an agreed upon hour long break for pizza (it took 2 hours of vigorous negotiation to agree upon an hour long break).

And then maybe some retro gaming. Busting out Mario Kart and GoldenEye for the N64.

This could be a long night. ssst.gif

Apparently talks between both sides broke down at the Pizza Hut when they couldn't agree on pepperoni or Hawaiian.

Pizza Hut staff are upset because they want to go home for the night, proposed a 50-50 split, half pepperoni, half Hawaiian. Fehr/Daly not seeing eye to eye on this. Fehr wants Daly to honor his previous promise of tangy dipping sauce.

So, now talks are totally off. Fehr has set up shop by the old Street Fighter II machine next to the Pizza Hut entrance, Daly has joined in with a party of 4th graders already at the restaurant celebrating a birthday.

On the plus they are sending intermittent text messages and posting on each other's Facebook wall. They could meet but not before Daly polishes down his root beer mug apparently.

Fehr still hopeful they can come an agreement and order something before the Pizza Hut closes in 45 minutes, but it's not looking good right now guys. They could both be locked in the restaurant for the night with no pizza period.

They will decide the split by rock, paper, scissors.

The main hurdle is that NHLPA doesn't accept NHLs definition of scissors.

Rock, paper, scissors.

Fehr: Dynamite!

Bettman: We're not speaking the same language right now.

Edited by chances14

@tpanotchCSN: Union source says both sides still talking. Get ready to turn clocks back for 1 extra hr to talk!

by my estimation of watching twitter timeline, this meeting started around 4pm. so they're going on 7hrs now.

these are the kinds of meetings that should have been going on months ago

Edited by chances14

@tpanotchCSN: Union source says both sides still talking. Get ready to turn clocks back for 1 extra hr to talk!

by my estimation of watching twitter timeline, this meeting started around 4pm. so they're going on 7hrs now.

these are the kinds of meetings that should have been going on months ago

This is wishful thinking, but this may result in something positive, maybe a deal within the week? *fingers crossed*

If a deal is reached this week, will they be able to retroactively uncancel the WC? PLEASE?!

What I've been hearing from almost all sources is that they really don't want to hold the WC this year even if they reach a deal tomorrow. It is supposed to be celebrating everything good about the game. I think everyone is worried that it coudl be a disaster with backlash from the lockout, would be better to defer to next year when hopefully all is forgiven, fresh start, etc.

Can only be a good sign....why would they be meeting into the wee hours of a Saturday night if they weren't trying to hammer out an actual deal or something very close to it?

One news reporter quoted;

"They were playing call of duty zombies, they got to level 42, couldn't quit. Plus they vowed to finish the whole king size pizza"

Another news reporter;

"They hired some strippers to entertain them while they played video games"

and another;

"they came to an agreement (finally) and they started the nhl season, Daly played as Phoenix, while Fehr played as the all star team in NHL 13. The game quickly erupted in argument about a goal Daly said shouldn't have been allowed, when Fehr won by a goal, Daly enacted a lockout by snapping the disc in half, so and I quote "if it isn't my way, no one gets to play!" then they quickly broke off and took a well deserved break"

Six years from now, Uncle Gary should announce the "postponement" of the Winter Classic in July. This will speed things up and he won't have to worry about his inability to negotiate an agreement the way normal businesses.

That, of course, assumes that Uncle Gary will still have his current job then.