• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

[Retired] Official Lockout Thread

Rate this topic

Well, both sides finally met for longer than 2 hours. It took 4.5 months for them to finally sit down and meet for 6-7 hours and then meet again tonight. I certainly hope real negotiations are happening. We don't know because both sides are tight lipped about what was discussed. Still, I applaud both sides for finally sitting down and getting down to brass tax. I hope it continues for the rest of the week or until a deal is done.

Amen to that.

This might be a case of me reading too much into something, but Ansar Khan is tweeting that Big E is back from Sweden, and is participating in an informal practice in Troy today.

Wings' Jonathan Ericsson back from Sweden, joins several players at informal practice today in Troy.

Big E had been playing a few games in a lower league in Sweden, but last I heard he was still exploring options of where to play afterwards. Might be a sign that players are sensing an end to the lockout sooner rather than later...

Guest RedWingsDad

This might be a case of me reading too much into something, but Ansar Khan is tweeting that Big E is back from Sweden, and is participating in an informal practice in Troy today.

Big E had been playing a few games in a lower league in Sweden, but last I heard he was still exploring options of where to play afterwards. Might be a sign that players are sensing an end to the lockout sooner rather than later...

I believe I read that Big E had a temporary assignment there from the beginning... I think that was to be expected regardless of the lockout situation.

I believe I read that Big E had a temporary assignment there from the beginning... I think that was to be expected regardless of the lockout situation.

I seem to remember him signing to play a few games (maybe a month's worth) in a lower Swedish league (Since the SEL won't let players have an "escape clause"), and that he was going to reassess his playing options for the year when that was done.

Then again, I've been wrong before, and this return to the States may have been in his plan all along...

This lockout makes me long for the days of complaining about Ericsson's refusal to use his size and Franzen's refusal to be awake during regular season games. Ahh, good times.

Well, both sides finally met for longer than 2 hours. It took 4.5 months for them to finally sit down and meet for 6-7 hours and then meet again tonight. I certainly hope real negotiations are happening. We don't know because both sides are tight lipped about what was discussed. Still, I applaud both sides for finally sitting down and getting down to brass tax. I hope it continues for the rest of the week or until a deal is done.

They're probably both being tight lipped so nothing gets said to reporters that can be taken out of context and hamper negotiations. It seems that they're tired of the back and forth jabs via the media and actually want to play hockey.

Also, when you cancel a Winter Classic with 2 of the wealthiest teams that pay a great deal toward the revenue sharing and the broke assed 7-8 owners are the reason the NHL is locked out, it's time for the big dogs to step forward and say eff that Buttman....we want our game with over 100K people. Get it done!

these kinds of meetings should have started many months ago. marathan sessions and no pr bs.

i can see the light at the end of the dark tunnel.

The fact of the matter is, there is no way such meetings could have happened months ago.....well....I suppose the meetings could have happened, but there is no chance either side is going to conceed anything when there are no pressure points. Now that games and money are being lost, pressure is mounting on both sides. Hopefully enough to get a deal done.

In terms of the PR battle....it's really stupid, but it is also a "necessary" step in the process....from both sides' standpoints anyway. Both sides take PR very seriously and what we saw in the media previously was really just PR postering and a way of negotiating, trying to get leverage on the other side. That type of thing happens early on. A deal doesn't get done that way, it just builds from there. A deal gets done behind closed doors with nothing being reported....hopefully that is the stage we are getting into, but i's very delicate. You never know if something may cause a blow up and forcing them back to the PR battle phase.

I've also heard that 23/11/2012 is an important date from the standpoint the League and I know why. This kind of a deadline hasn't been staring the League in the face before these negotiations.

First scheduled game on NBC? I don't think the league places quite that much importance on it.

I just find it amazing that both sides have spent more time negotiating in the last two days than they have in the last 6 months. Where was this sense of urgency in June/July? Just further proof that neither side deserves your financial support when the sport comes back. If both sides gave a crap, they would have been doing this in July instead of pontificating for the press and acting like spoiled brats.

I do hope a deal gets done soon so I can watch the Wings on TV again.

I just find it amazing that both sides have spent more time negotiating in the last two days than they have in the last 6 months. Where was this sense of urgency in June/July? Just further proof that neither side deserves your financial support when the sport comes back. If both sides gave a crap, they would have been doing this in July instead of pontificating for the press and acting like spoiled brats.

I do hope a deal gets done soon so I can watch the Wings on TV again.

now now you know fehr and the nhlpa were just the victims here of the devil called bettman. give me a break.....Both sides are ridiculous. So sad that we lost the historical winter classic because of all of this. If I didn't love the sport so much and love watching it I would no longer be a fan of the nhl and would probably stop watching hockey all together.

Have you ever been part of a negotiation? I'm sure both sides had no problem sitting down and meeting in June/July, but I can guarantee you that neither side would be willing to offer anything at all in terms of comprimises....why would they in June? Where's the pressure. I'm sorry, it's just the nature of the beast.

Have you ever been part of a negotiation? I'm sure both sides had no problem sitting down and meeting in June/July, but I can guarantee you that neither side would be willing to offer anything at all in terms of comprimises....why would they in June? Where's the pressure. I'm sorry, it's just the nature of the beast.

I have never been part of a seriously big negotiation like this, but its hard for me to fathom why there has to be pressure in order to make progress. You are right though, its the nature of the beast I suppose. I just don't like the pontificating for the press while they weren't talking. Now, by them being silent for the press, they are getting down to business. Its a shame they couldn't have done this before damage was done.

I have never been part of a seriously big negotiation like this, but its hard for me to fathom why there has to be pressure in order to make progress. You are right though, its the nature of the beast I suppose. I just don't like the pontificating for the press while they weren't talking. Now, by them being silent for the press, they are getting down to business. Its a shame they couldn't have done this before damage was done.

Yeah, but then we wouldn't have time to watch basketball! :scared: