• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

[Retired] Official Lockout Thread

Rate this topic

nhlpa kept variance and term limits out of their proposal. the nhl is going to want one of those things in the next cba.

i don't really see how punishing teams 5-10 years in the future is going to deter them from signing these long term ridiculous deals to circumvent the cap.

This sounds fairly legit, though in every instance so far the initial reports tend to make any proposal (by either side) seem a little bit more rosy than they were in actuality.

That's certainly a fair point. However, most of these proposals will have some fairly intricate details that will take awhile to come out. The CBA that just expired was 454 pages long, but the gist of it could be boiled down to about 3 or 4 paragraphs. Most of these proposals can be over-generalized in much the same way.

Because 10 years out is far too long for the players and owners to agree to in this economy and under the current NHL economic system. Neither side wants to get screwed if the revenue either increases or decreases dramatically in 4 years, so they won't sign for such a long deal.

yes but i think if the nhl wants to get sponsors back, they will want long term security. 5 years is nothing. if i recall, that was one of the sticking points very early on in negotiations. players wanted a short cba and the league wanted a longer term cba.

after the damage this lockout is going to cause to the league, i think it would be in both sides best interest to get long term security and stability for the league. the reason why the league will suffer a decrease in revenue is because of these lockouts.

That's certainly a fair point. However, most of these proposals will have some fairly intricate details that will take awhile to come out. The CBA that just expired was 454 pages long, but the gist of it could be boiled down to about 3 or 4 paragraphs. Most of these proposals can be over-generalized in much the same way.

I totally agree, that was all I was saying really, is that something which seems good superficially might end up not being acceptable to one side or the other because of an accumulation of all the little details. Let's hope that isn't the case this time. I REALLY need to see some hockey soon.

yes but i think if the nhl wants to get sponsors back, they will want long term security. 5 years is nothing. if i recall, that was one of the sticking points very early on in negotiations. players wanted a short cba and the league wanted a longer term cba.

after the damage this lockout is going to cause to the league, i think it would be in both sides best interest to get long term security and stability for the league. the reason why the league will suffer a decrease in revenue is because of these lockouts.

Bob McKenzie thinks that the final CBA will probably be no less than 6 years, and most likely 8-10 with an "opt-out" around 6 years.

Nick Cotsonika@cotsonika

If revenues go down, the players' percentage will go up in the future, under this proposal.

don't think owners will be fond of this

Here's an interesting tidbit from the offer

Chris Nichols@Nichols_NHLPool

Part of #NHLPA proposal is inclusion of a free agency interview period. That, IMO, would be significant benefit to both teams and players.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

I lied. I'm back. Good catch by @KatieStrangESPN on this: In yrs 2 thru 5, players’ share in dollars may not be less than previous yr.

NHL will find this problematic. Goes back towards "guaranteeing" dollars. In a linked-to-revenue system, those guarantees have not existed.

Nick Cotsonika@cotsonika

PA proposal doesn't just hurt owners for a bad year. It hurts them for a GOOD year. If revenues spike one year, it costs them the next.

Do players want a team in Quebec City? Say NHL goes there and revs spike temporarily. Now owners have to keep it up.

If this proposal became CBA, owners might work to smooth out revenues year to year, hurting growth and both sides.

devil is always in the details

And any sense of optimism quickly dissipating.

Dreger:

Players won't be happy with how the league is responding to proposal. No meaningful give-backs according to PA source."Disappointing day."

Close on rev sharing, but no contract concessions and league remains firm on $211 mil Make Whole. Talks will continue, but may not meet Thur.

There will be a PA conference call tonight. Expected players will unite and dig in based on NHL's response. Need to hear NHL's position now.

Aaron Ward:

Source, major move by NHLPA not well received by NHL. Player conference call later this evening and likely not positive. #TSN

NHLPA feels they've gone as far as coming off the structure of PA proposal and have gone to NHL proposal structure and are nowhere still.

Dan Rosen:

Don Fehr says the NHL did not move off its original stance and said he did not know when the sides would meet again.

Daly to speak shortly (if he isn't already).

I'm sure part of this is posturing but it's still frustrating that the meeting is over so quickly.

Not that the PA's offer was the be-all-end-all, but from the reporting it sounds like the League is sitting back waiting for the PA to come up with some kind of offer that will fix all the League's problems for them.

Not that the PA's offer was the be-all-end-all, but from the reporting it sounds like the League is sitting back waiting for the PA to come up with some kind of offer that will fix all the League's problems for them.

I think the league is sitting back because after their "3 up, 3 rejected" response within the course of an hour to the NHLPA's counteroffers in October, they'll look like absolute clowns if they reject this thing immediately again. Still, as this portion of Pierre LeBrun's article hints, I find it hard to believe this approach will gain a significant foothold for the NHLPA:

BASED ON PERCENTAGE OF HRR

For the first time, the NHLPA offered a framework based on the league’s preferred system of a percentage linked to hockey-related revenue, instead of a system based on guaranteed dollars. In this case, the NHLPA agrees to go to 50 percent of HRR right from Year 1. However, a key line in the proposal bears underlying: "There are no guarantees or fixed targets, other than a requirement that, beginning with the second year of the Agreement, players’ share, expressed in dollars, may not fall below its value for the prior season."

Essentially, it means the players are guaranteed to make no less in total dollars than the year before. The league won’t like that.

The NHL have to be nuts to guarantee the players that their share of revenue will not go down in subsequent years. What if the fans revolt and attendance is down? What if the world economy takes a massive dump and people just stop spending money on the NHL?

Let's say HRR is $3 billion next year (randomly selected #). In Year 1, you have a 50/50 split, so $1.5 billion each for owners and players. Let's say in Year 2, HRR drops to $2.2 billion for some reason. Under the NHLPA proposal, the players now have over 68 PERCENT of HRR b/c the CBA says that they can't make less than $1.5 billion.

Also, the language makes no sense to me. If Year 2 has to be as high as Year 1, then does Year 3 have to be as high as Year 2? In other words, it could never drop below whatever number it was in Year 1. However, it could go up. The NHLPA is basically proposing a unilaterally fixed MINIMUM for the players. No way in hell the league agrees to that, and I don't blame them in this instance.

so basically fehr put forth a linked proposal that's not even linked. sounds like more pr bs like with the 50/50 stuff.

until the pa puts forth a proposal that is a true linked proposal, the nhl isn't going to give on the contracting issues. i think it's insane for the players to think that they should get the same amount of money, regardless if league revenue goes down in the following years. this clause is just as ridiculous as the nhl's demands on contracting issues.

"I am disgusted," Hamrlik said via a series of tweets from Jedlicka. "We have to push Fehr to the wall to get the deal. Time is against us. We lost a quarter of the season, it is $425 milliom. Who will give it back to us? Mr. Fehr? There should be voting between player. Four questions -- yes or no -- then count it. If half of players say lets play, then they should sign new CBA. If there is no season he should leave and we will find someone new. Time is our enemy."

the first signs of the union cracking?

http://www.sbnation....n-hamrlik-nhlpa

Edited by chances14

I think the league is sitting back because after their "3 up, 3 rejected" response within the course of an hour to the NHLPA's counteroffers in October, they'll look like absolute clowns if they reject this thing immediately again. Still, as this portion of Pierre LeBrun's article hints, I find it hard to believe this approach will gain a significant foothold for the NHLPA:

BASED ON PERCENTAGE OF HRR

For the first time, the NHLPA offered a framework based on the league’s preferred system of a percentage linked to hockey-related revenue, instead of a system based on guaranteed dollars. In this case, the NHLPA agrees to go to 50 percent of HRR right from Year 1. However, a key line in the proposal bears underlying: "There are no guarantees or fixed targets, other than a requirement that, beginning with the second year of the Agreement, players’ share, expressed in dollars, may not fall below its value for the prior season."

Essentially, it means the players are guaranteed to make no less in total dollars than the year before. The league won’t like that.

The NHL have to be nuts to guarantee the players that their share of revenue will not go down in subsequent years. What if the fans revolt and attendance is down? What if the world economy takes a massive dump and people just stop spending money on the NHL?

Let's say HRR is $3 billion next year (randomly selected #). In Year 1, you have a 50/50 split, so $1.5 billion each for owners and players. Let's say in Year 2, HRR drops to $2.2 billion for some reason. Under the NHLPA proposal, the players now have over 68 PERCENT of HRR b/c the CBA says that they can't make less than $1.5 billion.

Also, the language makes no sense to me. If Year 2 has to be as high as Year 1, then does Year 3 have to be as high as Year 2? In other words, it could never drop below whatever number it was in Year 1. However, it could go up. The NHLPA is basically proposing a unilaterally fixed MINIMUM for the players. No way in hell the league agrees to that, and I don't blame them in this instance.

Yeah, this is bulls***. Not to say there there wasn't equally backhanded b.s. in the owners previous proposals, but for the union to say they've made significant concessions and then throw this out there should attest to the fact that each side is trying to take the money and run, all the while saying they're ok with a 50/50 split.

If the players don't give a legit concession on the HRR, the owners don't concede on the "make whole" component of the contracts and we don't see any hockey. It's really that simple.

But shame on anyone who says the players came down to 50/50. Absolutely not true.

This is how I see it:

They (players) are looking for a new 5 year deal. (This is completly BS - they should more look at 10 years).

According to Fehr (http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409972), the gap is about $180 millions.

Now, let's divide the gap ($180 mil.) with 5 (years new deal) it's a differential of $36 millions per year.

There are approx. 700 players in NHL, let's divide $36 millions by 700, we have a differential of $51 428,00 per player/per year.

Average salary in NHL is about $2.4 millions (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ycn-10423863) so I guess that $51 428,00 (a little bit more than 2% of their respective salary) is not that big deal... but then again, I'm just a hockey fan... who cares about hockey fans today?

“We made a proposal (in October) to save an 82-game season and frankly we’re all mystified as to why we’re not playing in light of that offer and in light of the fact that the players are losing as a group between $8 million and $10 million a day”.

i seem to remember that the Players made a proposal in September on how to save an eighty-two game season.

However, that wasn't Uncle Gary's idea.

Someone please kick the effin midget out, so the players actually agreed to his stupid 50/50 and thats still not enough? If I were Fehr I'd ask them for acceptance of going nuclear and put this little undersized idiot to nuclear war, by proposing either accept the deal or create a luxury tax instead of the stupid cap system.

Also I couldn't care less what people like Spector think.

And all that crap because some very questionable teams are "losing money", rather have a 15 teams league without a lockout every 5 years and an antihockey guy ruining the show for everyone else.

Mark Spector is hilarious. At least once a week he comes out with a new article demonizing a different party in the lockout. His journalistic perspective shifts with whichever way the wind is blowing.

As fot the contracting issues, I think the league needs to go longer than 5 years for contracts. Everything in this deal is worse for the players, the NHL could at least give a little more job security with longer contracts. Go 7 or 8 and have a solid back-diving provision.

It's hard to sift through all the different proposals and variables but in spite of the rhetoric it sure seems like the two sides aren't incredibly far apart.

And I don't really follow the NBA but didn't they just go to 50/50? I know they have a more flexible cap system with a luxury tax and all, but I'm wondering how they handle existing contracts. Because I thought I read somewhere that it's only the NHL where not paying existing contracts in full is even up for negotiation.

Can't remember where I saw it though.

Mark Spector is hilarious. At least once a week he comes out with a new article demonizing a different party in the lockout. His journalistic perspective shifts with whichever way the wind is blowing.

As fot the contracting issues, I think the league needs to go longer than 5 years for contracts. Everything in this deal is worse for the players, the NHL could at least give a little more job security with longer contracts. Go 7 or 8 and have a solid back-diving provision.

It's hard to sift through all the different proposals and variables but in spite of the rhetoric it sure seems like the two sides aren't incredibly far apart.

And I don't really follow the NBA but didn't they just go to 50/50? I know they have a more flexible cap system with a luxury tax and all, but I'm wondering how they handle existing contracts. Because I thought I read somewhere that it's only the NHL where not paying existing contracts in full is even up for negotiation.

Can't remember where I saw it though.

i agree about the contract length limit but i have a feeling that if the nhlpa presents an actual linkage proposal i think you will see the nhl give on the contract issues.

but i do know that until the nhlpa backs off the ridiculous notion that the players share never falls throughout the cba, even if revenues do, we are never going to see a deal get done.

on the positive side, both daly and fehr agreed that they are only $182m apart on the make whole. at least they agree on at least one number. that's at least progress lol

Edited by chances14

i agree about the contract length limit but i have a feeling that if the nhlpa presents an actual linkage proposal i think you will see the nhl give on the contract issues.

but i do know that until the nhlpa backs off the ridiculous notion that the players share never falls throughout the cba, even if revenues do, we are never going to see a deal get done.

on the positive side, both daly and fehr agreed that they are only $182m apart on the make whole. at least they agree on at least one number. that's at least progress lol

yeah, that built in failsafe for the NHLPA is unrealistic. I don't know if that's in there so they have something else to negotiate off of or what, but it's ridiculous if they think they'd ever get that at this stage of the game.

They also need to make the CBA for a longer term than 5 years so we get more seasons of hockey in before Bettman locks them out again.