• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

[Retired] Official Lockout Thread

Rate this topic

I hate to bring in other sports but look at the MLB, european soccer or some other non cap leagues they are all doing extremely well without work stoppages every 5 years.

The NHL will always ask and try different things in order to help very questionable markets, the truth of the matter is there are always going to be huge differences in terms of fanbase, revenue and the amount of $ a team can charge for tickets. I mean, after all this league has 30 teams and each team should be responsible for themselves. Decertification would also lead to finally seeing Bettman canned, without draf t, CBA, rights and whatsoever there really is no need for a commissioner and yes without the NHLPA Fehr would be gone too.

Owners would then compete with money, rights and nice clauses for the top players and even decent ones would get very good jobs, sure some teams would relocate or fold but thats part of the business.

Well...not entirely true. Most 'top' teams are in great debt. Most owners invest hundereds of millions in players, once an owner leaves...no more team.

The problem in European soccer is that the FIFA and UEFA do not have the balls to stand up to the teams with great debts.

Guest Kronstantinov

The players are actually being generous, helping the owners pay for contracts they offered in the first place but couldn't afford.

The owners doing well can afford to contribute as well. After all they are the ones that hired Bettman and went along with his overzealous schemes for growing the league

Edited by Kronstantinov

Bolland did not say that, he just re-tweeted it (is that even a word?) so I guess he saw a "tweet" used something we call "forward option" in emails. So basically he just forwarded it, I really don't see why people are jumping at him? I really think people should stop reading more into comments than they really are, when a fan is saying "I want Bettman dead" it basically means he wants him gone from hockey and not murdered or anything like that.

Sometimes an easy approach is just the better one.

And what would you say if it were an owner calling out the NHLPA or retweeting that a fan said he wishes Fehr dead or some of the players that have been vocal? And how do you know what the fan is thinking? I'm sure there are fans out there that generally wish harm to come to the owners and or "Buttman" dur dur.

So, if the lockout ends the entire season how do they market next year's video games? Won't they have to be the same as this year's? No new NHL stats. What about a cover? I don't remember what they did the last time.

Well...not entirely true. Most 'top' teams are in great debt. Most owners invest hundereds of millions in players, once an owner leaves...no more team.

The problem in European soccer is that the FIFA and UEFA do not have the balls to stand up to the teams with great debts.

We might be going off-topic here, but quite a few of the 'top' European soccer clubs have been in existence for more than a century. So I am not certain that "once an owner leaves...no more team" is a valid comment.

I am not sure why FIFA or UEFA have much influence about finance of soccer clubs. Unlike NHL these are governing bodies, which are not generally concerned with the business side of the game of association football. IIHF would be the hockey counterpart.

It would be interesting to compare European soccer leagues with the North American sports leagues. I do not think such things as CBA, salary cap, draft and the rests exist in soccer (excluding MLS here, I think I follows North American model).

Guest Playmaker

I'm not a big basketball fan, but wasn't the NBA lockout resolved soon after de-certification was granted? Or was that the NFL? In any case, I hope it happens with the NHL as well.

We might be going off-topic here, but quite a few of the 'top' European soccer clubs have been in existence for more than a century. So I am not certain that "once an owner leaves...no more team" is a valid comment.

I am not sure why FIFA or UEFA have much influence about finance of soccer clubs. Unlike NHL these are governing bodies, which are not generally concerned with the business side of the game of association football. IIHF would be the hockey counterpart.

It would be interesting to compare European soccer leagues with the North American sports leagues. I do not think such things as CBA, salary cap, draft and the rests exist in soccer (excluding MLS here, I think I follows North American model).

honestly i don't know much about how the european leagues work.

however i did find this article dated last year in which a salary cap was discussed to help curb english soccer team debt crisis. Also, unlike the nhl, there is more than one big league in europe that is attractive to the big name players, thus creating competition. and like i said before, soccer is by far the number 1 sport across europe. people will watch teams regardless. hockey can barely keep the 4th spot in the united states.

here's another article talking about a spending cap in the premier league from august of this year

http://soccernet.esp...ap-plan?cc=5901

Edited by chances14

Here is a Wikipedia article about financial regulations in European soccer. Actually it is a lot more regulated than I would have expected. In France, for example,

The Direction Nationale du Contrôle de Gestion (DNCG) is responsible for administering, monitoring, and overseeing the accounts of all professional clubs to ensure that owners are being financially prudent.

Here is a Wikipedia article about financial regulations in European soccer. Actually it is a lot more regulated than I would have expected. In France, for example,

from that article, it looks like the european soccer leagues aren't in very good shape financially across the board.

Edited by chances14

Guest irishock

? Mod Warning posts? European soccer?

Jesus Christ, the lockout is killing the community.

Edited by irishock

I've never been able to understand the European cap rules and financial fair play. All I know is that teams are buying players like crazy, while lesser clubs even in the top tier have no chance of ever challenging for the league.

I'm not sure if the NHL would want to go that route at this point.

When are the players going to grow up and stop being so unprofessional?

As the lockout continues to drag on, Bolland on Friday reposted a Twitter entry that read: "can I get a RT for wanting Bettman dead?"

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story/_/id/8668147/dave-bolland-chicago-blackhawks-retweets-message-wanting-gary-bettman-dead

I hope more players speak out against Bettman. The owners should too.

So I hear the Leafs and Red Wings are against the Lockout and want to play. How many Leagues, when their two best teams wanting to play, aren't being listened to by the man they employ? If the Yankees and Red Sox don't agree with a Lockout, Selig would listen. If the Lakers and Knicks don't agree with a Lockout, David Stern would listen. If the Patriots and Packers don't agree with a Lockout, Roger Goodell would listen. Only in the NHL would a little twerp go against what his two richest teams are saying. It's one of the reasons why ESPN told the NHL "nuts to you", and NBC Sports and all the major American TV Networks will do the same thing.

The NHL is going to rot. The only way I think the Owners can save the League is if they fire Bettman. I don't see how he can continue as commish after all this, and how he could present another Stanley Cup without starting a riot in the building when fans try and get him. He'll either start a riot, or he'll hear crickets chirping because the arena will be empty.

If anyone complaining about this thread right now attends a single NHL game in the next seven years, then they are fake raging in here. I know I am going to put my money where my mouth is.

No more NHL Center Ice

No more buying tickets to NHL games

No more buying NHL merchandise

The NHL, players and owners, can go f*** themselves.

If with you man. I've decided I'll only comeback if Bettman's gone. I'm not interested in following this League anymore with him in charge. He makes me so angry that it's not worth it. Baseball and Football can be my 2 main sports now, Hockey can suck it.

I've actually been seriously thinking of taking down all my Red Wings stuff I have up in my house and redecorating. It pains me to have to do that, because this team has meant so much to me the past 20 years, but I've just had enough. I'd rather just move on and not see anything Hockey related anymore.

I hope more players speak out against Bettman. The owners should too.

So I hear the Leafs and Red Wings are against the Lockout and want to play. How many Leagues, when their two best teams wanting to play, aren't being listened to by the man they employ? If the Yankees and Red Sox don't agree with a Lockout, Selig would listen. If the Lakers and Knicks don't agree with a Lockout, David Stern would listen. If the Patriots and Packers don't agree with a Lockout, Roger Goodell would listen. Only in the NHL would a little twerp go against what his two richest teams are saying. It's one of the reasons why ESPN told the NHL "nuts to you", and NBC Sports and all the major American TV Networks will do the same thing.

The NHL is going to rot. The only way I think the Owners can save the League is if they fire Bettman. I don't see how he can continue as commish after all this, and how he could present another Stanley Cup without starting a riot in the building when fans try and get him. He'll either start a riot, or he'll hear crickets chirping because the arena will be empty.

nobody knows for sure who is for or against this lockout. everything else has simply been speculation and assumptions.

i just find it laughable how so many people think that bettman is the sole reason for these lockouts. the owners have to love the fact that he takes all the beating and they get off without a shred of criticism.

Edited by chances14

If with you man. I've decided I'll only comeback if Bettman's gone. I'm not interested in following this League anymore with him in charge. He makes me so angry that it's not worth it. Baseball and Football can be my 2 main sports now, Hockey can suck it.

I've actually been seriously thinking of taking down all my Red Wings stuff I have up in my house and redecorating. It pains me to have to do that, because this team has meant so much to me the past 20 years, but I've just had enough. I'd rather just move on and not see anything Hockey related anymore.

I have seen the vile hatred for Bettman, but lets be honest here.....

Bettman is not the cause of this lockout. You can point the blame to the owners who voted to lock the players out moreso than Bettman. Even if Bettman was canned, then his successor could be even worse. After all, the ownership is going to hire a pitbull, not a poodle. They are also going to hire someone to represent them. Bettman is taking a lot of flack for what the ownership wants. Yes, I believe even Mike Illitch is supporting Bettman because he is tired of seeing his profits getting thrown to teams that can't survive in these crappy markets. He is tired of seeing a $3.5 million dollar profit margin. Hell, Hudler makes more than that.

Otherwise, I won't take down my Red Wings stuff. I have been a fan of the Wings since I discovered hockey back in 1994. I just won't fund the players or the ownership by going to games or buying merchandice. The only money they will see is what I pay for in my cable bill to watch them. Hell, I will even go out of my way to watch games on streaming services because I won't buy the center ice package.

Edited by Nightfall

I have seen the vile hatred for Bettman, but lets be honest here.....

Bettman is not the cause of this lockout. You can point the blame to the owners who voted to lock the players out moreso than Bettman. Even if Bettman was canned, then his successor could be even worse. After all, the ownership is going to hire a pitbull, not a poodle. They are also going to hire someone to represent them. Bettman is taking a lot of flack for what the ownership wants. Yes, I believe even Mike Illitch is supporting Bettman because he is tired of seeing his profits getting thrown to teams that can't survive in these crappy markets. He is tired of seeing a $3.5 million dollar profit margin. Hell, Hudler makes more than that.

Otherwise, I won't take down my Red Wings stuff. I have been a fan of the Wings since I discovered hockey back in 1994. I just won't fund the players or the ownership by going to games or buying merchandice. The only money they will see is what I pay for in my cable bill to watch them. Hell, I will even go out of my way to watch games on streaming services because I won't buy the center ice package.

I know the Owners have a lot of the blame... but Bettman was the one who adopted the rule to only need an 8 team vote instead of a majority vote. It is also in his job title to preserve the sanctity of the league and he hasn't been doing a great job at that currently because right now the NHL is the laughing stock of sports and its becoming a pissing war between both sides and every body taking pot shots at each other like 10 year olds.

It is not completely Bettmans fault, but he does have a big part in it. The reason he adopted the 8 team vote was for reasons like this, so the owners couldn't veto him again.

I know the Owners have a lot of the blame... but Bettman was the one who adopted the rule to only need an 8 team vote instead of a majority vote. It is also in his job title to preserve the sanctity of the league and he hasn't been doing a great job at that currently because right now the NHL is the laughing stock of sports and its becoming a pissing war between both sides and every body taking pot shots at each other like 10 year olds.

It is not completely Bettmans fault, but he does have a big part in it. The reason he adopted the 8 team vote was for reasons like this, so the owners couldn't veto him again.

how did bettman go about adopting the 8 team vote?

i find it hard to believe that the owners would give any commisioner the sole power to rewrite the nhl constitution without at least half of the owners consent.

Did Bettman come up with the rule all on his own? No he didn't. He may have had the idea for the rule, but the owners all voted on it and ratified it. He can't just impose his rule without the owners all agreeing to it.

IMHO, the owners have about 60% of the blame in this. Bettman isn't even a "big part". Its like blaming Fehr for the stance the players are taking. Fehr can only go so far.

This issue so complicated because of the polarizing figure that is Gary Bettman. A New York lawyer running the most popular sport in Canada. 3 significant work stoppages in 18 years.

@Nightfall is partially right when he says that Bettman was not the "cause" of the lockout. Admittedly, that would be an oversimplification. I heard a TSN podcast today where one guy wondered if this isn't just the "new normal" given the fact that salaries were so constant for so many years and then shot up exponentially in the past 20 years. He wondered if the underlying problem isn't just that nobody knows "what anything is worth" in the NHL.

But I refuse to give Bettman a pass on "causing the lockout" for this reason: He DID create and stubbornly support the environment that caused this lockout to happen in the last 2 CBA's. When you a situation where you can make $3.3 billion in profits AND it can also be true that (allegedly) 18 franchises are operating in the red, you have fundamental problems. If I honestly believed that setting HRR at 50/50 and just telling the players to give a little more back would solve those problems, I would turn on the NHLPA and Fehr in a heartbeat.

But here's the thing: I have zero confidence that Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville, Florida, etc are suddenly going to become profitable simply because you cap player contracts at 5 years, lower the salary cap, and take money out of the players' share. I have zero confidence because we were told that everything in '05 CBA was necessary to save those bottom-feeder teams, and it didn't work.

The problem is the structure of the league, and the freedom of the owners to continue spending even with a hard cap in place. The deeper problem is that the league is badly overexpanded into places it doesn't belong. Phoenix is not going to start drawing 15,000 a game just because you made it so the Parises and Suters of the world only sign $40 million deals instead of $98 million ones. And when ownership in Phoenix or any other city in Bettman's "Grand Sun Belt Experiment" tried to sell to owners/cities with actual money and an interest in hockey, Bettman blocked it.

Unless you are willing to dramatically revise how revenue sharing works and commit yourself to having the Tornto-type markets carrying the struggling teams (which is obviously problematic), this will continue to happen. And Bettman (who whoever represents the owners) will continue to ask for additional money every CBA simply because they can.

It appears a Federal mediator is now involved in the CBA negotiations, per LeBrun...

Federal mediator now involved in NHL/NHLPA labor talks. More to come.

...and McKenzie...

NHL and NHLPA have agreed to allow U.S. federal mediators to get involved in the labor dispute.

Deputy Director Scot L. Beckenbaugh, Director of Mediation Services John Sweeney, and Commissioner Guy Serota to serve as the mediators.

Mediators work under umbrella of Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service. Let's see if some "outside" perspective makes a difference.

To me, this can be nothing but a good thing. A neutral third party who can sit both sides down, and help them see how close they really are...

Though, McKenzie is quick to inject a little bit of reality about the situation...

Mediation is not binding. It's just an objective third party trying to help process get on track. Mediators were, IIRC, used in 2004-05.

And finally, if anyone were curious, here is the official press release from the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service...

But I refuse to give Bettman a pass on "causing the lockout" for this reason: He DID create and stubbornly support the environment that caused this lockout to happen in the last 2 CBA's. When you a situation where you can make $3.3 billion in profits AND it can also be true that (allegedly) 18 franchises are operating in the red, you have fundamental problems. If I honestly believed that setting HRR at 50/50 and just telling the players to give a little more back would solve those problems, I would turn on the NHLPA and Fehr in a heartbeat.

Just for clarification, Bettman didn't create the environment. The owners did. He did support it only because the ownership supported it. I understand why Bettman is taking the flack for this, but at the same time there are barely anyone that is able to look deeper into this situation. Yes, Mike Illitch is supporting this lockout. Why are there no fans upset at him? I guess being the mouthpiece means that they are going to take all the flack, but thats ok I suppose.

As for firing Bettman, nothing would please me more. Well, firing both Fehr and Bettman would please me the most. What I fear is Bettman's replacement. Sometimes the Devil you know is better than the Devil you don't know. That could be true in this situation as well, especiially if the owners hire in someone who is more draconian than Bettman. Same goes for Fehr, but I believe in this case both sides leaders should be fired.

It appears a Federal mediator is now involved in the CBA negotiations, per LeBrun...

Mediation is non-binding, which means that what the mediator says is just a recommendation. Non-binding mediation isn't something that has teeth in my opinion. Just like back in the last lockout, the mediator put forward some great ideas but one side or the other shot them down. It really is the same as having an informed expert that has no side that is willing to put their opinion and thoughts on the subject.

Mediation is non-binding, which means that what the mediator says is just a recommendation. Non-binding mediation isn't something that has teeth in my opinion. Just like back in the last lockout, the mediator put forward some great ideas but one side or the other shot them down. It really is the same as having an informed expert that has no side that is willing to put their opinion and thoughts on the subject.

Which is exactly what the next-to-last line of my previous post points out.

That said, getting both sides together with a third party will only help the process. It might not help enough to get a deal done, but if absolutely nothing else, it will make things abundantly clear as to which side is refusing to negotiate or willing to budge on certain issues.

Question for the legal eagles out there: If all of this goes to court, how will it be handled since there are two countries represented in the NHL? Would the decision be enforced and upheld in both countries or would two separate decisions be needed?

This issue so complicated because of the polarizing figure that is Gary Bettman. A New York lawyer running the most popular sport in Canada. 3 significant work stoppages in 18 years.

@Nightfall is partially right when he says that Bettman was not the "cause" of the lockout. Admittedly, that would be an oversimplification. I heard a TSN podcast today where one guy wondered if this isn't just the "new normal" given the fact that salaries were so constant for so many years and then shot up exponentially in the past 20 years. He wondered if the underlying problem isn't just that nobody knows "what anything is worth" in the NHL.

i don't think anyone is completely giving bettman a pass on this lockout. I just think some people have gone overboard with all the bettman hate. i read and hear people saying that they will only watch the nhl again if bettman is fired. that just shows to me a lack of understanding about how this entire process works.

I believe that under the nhl constituation and by laws,bettman is allowed to make recommendations for expansion and relocation. however, the owners must vote on it for it to become final. so the owners deserve as much blame for the failed franchises as bettman (though we never hear criticism about the owners.

Just for clarification, Bettman didn't create the environment. The owners did. He did support it only because the ownership supported it. I understand why Bettman is taking the flack for this, but at the same time there are barely anyone that is able to look deeper into this situation. Yes, Mike Illitch is supporting this lockout. Why are there no fans upset at him? I guess being the mouthpiece means that they are going to take all the flack, but thats ok I suppose

this is just speculation on my part but now that the winter classic has been cancelled, it wouldn't surprise me if illitch was very much against giving into the players. it is a fact that illitch was very much against revenue sharing during the last lockout.

also, for those saying that the maple leafs are against the lockout. keep in mind that the leafs owners are also part of the bell/rogers broadcasting companies. they are pushing hard to get cbc's hockey rights when their tv contract is up so they might be trying to be good soldiers to the league right now.

agreed. i don't see much coming from this but i guess mediation wouldn't hurt. it might tell us more about who truly doesn't want to negotiate or not, though that doesn't really do much in getting a deal done