• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

[Retired] Official Lockout Thread

Rate this topic

The addition of Burkle in the room is promising, player friendly owner, tons of labour negotiation experience, etc. But, if Jacobs is still there, I'm not sure how far they are going to get.

I've seen various reports about who is going to be there from the players side (Crosby and Toews, Crosby and Aucoin), but I think, based on recent reports, is that several players will travel to NYC and then the larger group will decide the 6 that attend the meeting. I think Crosby and Aucoin was a good start in terms of balance from the players side though (younger guy making a lot of money and older guy close to retirement, not making so much).

If memory serves me correct Uncle Gary, THE all-time leader in lockouts, suggested this "meeting".

Fixed it for you.

I'm sure it actually doesn't mean much, but I'd love to take this move as a sign that owners are unhappy with how he has handled these negotiations. If you're actually an asset in negotiating an agreement, you typically don't offer to remove yourself from the process.

Of course the owners share the blame, but Bettman is greatly responsible for handling and setting the tone of the CBA negotiations. As commissioner, everything ultimately is channeled through him. And through actions like consistently having Jacobs be his right hand man in the meetings, making that awful first proposal, and rejecting the NHLPA's offers within minutes, the tone he's set again and again to the players is "F You."

Fixed it for you.

I'm sure it actually doesn't mean much, but I'd love to take this move as a sign that players are unhappy with how he has handled these negotiations. If you're actually an asset in negotiating an agreement, you typically don't agree to remove yourself from the process.

Of course the players share the blame, but Fehr is greatly responsible for handling and setting the tone of the CBA negotiations. As NHLPA Head, everything ultimately is channeled through him. And through his actions, the tone he's set again and again to the owners is "F You."

There you go. You missed the other half of your post.

Fixed it for you.

I'm sure it actually doesn't mean much, but I'd love to take this move as a sign that owners are unhappy with how he has handled these negotiations. If you're actually an asset in negotiating an agreement, you typically don't offer to remove yourself from the process.

Of course the owners share the blame, but Bettman is greatly responsible for handling and setting the tone of the CBA negotiations. As commissioner, everything ultimately is channeled through him. And through actions like consistently having Jacobs be his right hand man in the meetings, making that awful first proposal, and rejecting the NHLPA's offers within minutes, the tone he's set again and again to the players is "F You."

But waiting 30min by the NHLPA is saying we respect your offer and will do our best to look it over thoroughly so that we make a smart and sound decision on our players futures and the future of this game?

Guest Johnz96

I think that was just paraphrasing a quote from 2005 "Goodenow is greatly responsible for handling and setting the tone of the CBA negotiations. As NHLPA Head, everything ultimately is channeled through him. And through his actions, the tone he's set again and again to the owners is "F You."

But waiting 30min by the NHLPA is saying we respect your offer and will do our best to look it over thoroughly so that we make a smart and sound decision on our players futures and the future of this game?

I don't remember reading that

I didn't miss anything.

The players job is to play hockey. Bettman's job is to run the league.

i'm not sure which offer you're talking about.

link?

Even if the NHL didn't agree with the offer, leaving the meeting after 15 minutes and literally leaving town is an a-hole move. The league's response to every single concession by the NHLPA is "not even close, bud."

Not to say the NHLPA side is without blame. Fehr should be friggin embarrassed for not running the numbers on a proposal he was putting forth.

One of the articles about why Bettman should go gave a pretty good synopsis of how awful he is at CBA negotiations. If the owners were headed into this wanting a 50/50 split and nothing but concessions from the players, it required the best sell job of all time. Instead Bettman led with "F You."

I didn't miss anything.

The players job is to play hockey. Bettman's job is to run the league.

if that's the case, then why do the players care if they get a good cba or not. they will be playing hockey all the same

a good article by custance on decertification.

the most telling quote

Because of Gary [bettman], [NHL labor lawyer] Bob Batterman and [bruins owner] Jeremy Jacobs, the big three's unwillingness to negotiate in good faith, the players have no alternative," Overhardt said early last week. "The exposure for the owners is dramatic. It's not for one owner; it's for 30 owners. Hopefully, 29 owners wake up and tell the commissioner to do his job. ... Right now, this guy is not acting like a commissioner. He's acting like a czar."

it's time for these other owners to step up and get a deal done. where have the rangers, leafs, canadians owners, and illitch been this whole time?

here's an example

A source familiar with Dolan's thinking confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com a New York Post report that Dolan was interested in becoming involved in the labor dispute that has kept his team off the ice for months

why wasn't he involved when this lockout first started?

Edited by chances14

according to this steve burton guy, the lockout could almost be over and an annoucnement could come tuesday or wednesday

http://boston.cbsloc...ng-nhl-lockout/

i'm not getting my hopes up though. i do find it odd though that none of the tsn/espn guys have jumped on this story to either confirm or shoot it down.

Edited by chances14

according to this steve burton guy, the lockout could almost be over and an annoucnement could come tuesday or wednesday

http://boston.cbsloc...ng-nhl-lockout/

i'm not getting my hopes up though. i do find it odd though that none of the tsn/espn guys have jumped on this story to either confirm or shoot it down.

Same here, not getting my hopes up at all. i still remember in during the last lockout when a deal was "imminent" but then, the season was cancelled a week later.

For what it's worth, a few people have come out with sources denying Burton's report...

Sarah Kwak with Sports Illustrated...

Asked if there was ANY MORSEL of truth to WBZ report that deal is imminent, B.Daly: "Not even a single morsel..."

Joe Haggarty with Comcast Sports New England...

Checked in w/source on @wbzsports Steve Burton report, who said it was "interesting, but not true." I really hope he knows something we dont

And LeBrun is reporting that today's Players/Owners meeting is set to begin around 2-2:30 today.

Same here, not getting my hopes up at all. i still remember in during the last lockout when a deal was "imminent" but then, the season was cancelled a week later.

No one knows much about this Burton guy, but I have read a few things that say no one is bashing the guy, he seems reputable and actually normally gets thing right. That said, there is nothing to back up his claims. I'll throw out the denial by Daly because that's expected. At the same time, I do not, for a second, think a deal is close.McKenzie did comment on the Burton reporting. He basically said he cannot find any information to suggest what he is reporting is accurate. Can't say he's wrong for sure though. My guess is that if Burton has a source that suggests agreement is imminent, not sure why McKenzie woudln't have access to just as credible sources. Never know really though.

18 players are attending the meeting this afternoon:

• Craig Adams
  • David Backes
  • Michael Cammalleri
  • Sidney Crosby
  • B.J. Crombeen
  • Mathieu Darche
  • Shane Doan
  • Ron Hainsey
  • Shawn Horcoff
  • Jamal Mayers
  • Manny Malhotra
  • Andy McDonald
  • Ryan Miller
  • George Parros
  • Brad Richards
  • Martin St. Louis
  • Jonathan Toews
  • Kevin Westgarth

http://www.nhlpa.com/news/players-and-owners-meet-in-nyc

On the the way to the doc, 97.1 was talking about the Lions and then quickly mentioned something about "half a season and owners saving money" - not sure it anyone else caught the whole thing or if it had any relevance regarding the NHL...

For what it's worth, a few people have come out with sources denying Burton's report...

Maybe it was the "Steve Burton" from General Hospital (don't worry, I "Googled" his name).

Okay, who said it?

“I think from Day 1, this has fallen into what we really thought was going to happen. I don’t know if they [owners] think they’re dealing with kids or that we’re stupid or think the fans are stupid. It’s a little mind-boggling when you see what’s coming out of their side. I want to hear a change, that they’re actually going to give us something in return for the things we’ve given them.

“I doubt that may happen tomorrow [Tuesday] but it’s a start. It’s good to see that there are new owners coming into the meeting, but the bad thing is there are still some of the tight group that has been there since Day 1. That’s a concern.”

Edited by cusimano_brothers

Maybe it was the "Steve Burton" from General Hospital (don't worry, I "Googled" his name).

Okay, who said it?

Stupid are those, who are doing stupid things so yes, having the owners assume the players are stupid or children to feels like the king of all stupid things. They are the PRODUCT, either respect them with a fair offer or sell to somone who will.

Stupid are those, who are doing stupid things so yes, having the owners assume the players are stupid or children to feels like the king of all stupid things. They are the PRODUCT, either respect them with a fair offer or sell to somone who will.

Hell, they are $211 million dollars apart. I say meet in the middle.