• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

[Retired] Official Lockout Thread

Rate this topic

Stupid are those, who are doing stupid things so yes, having the owners assume the players are stupid or children to feels like the king of all stupid things. They are the PRODUCT, either respect them with a fair offer or sell to somone who will.

Yeah maybe Vince McMahon will take a stab at it...XHL!!!!

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun

also told that Pens owner Ron Burkle made his presence felt in the meeting so far today. I think the players are receptive to him...

This is what a lot of people were hanging on going into this....hoping that Burkle would somehow help.....player friendly and actual award winning labour negotiator.

here's an interesting article about the pens owner and crosby pushing to save the season

Over the past few weeks, Crosby, Burkle and Lemieux have privately discussed plans to bridge the gap between players and owners. The sources said all three had grown frustrated with the lack of progress.

isn't that against the rules? players and owners aren't allowed to talk to each other

http://triblive.com/sports/nhl/3068862-85/sources-crosby-burkle-owners-players-nhl-lemieux-penguins-meeting-talks?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewpenguins+%28Penguins+Stories%29#axzz2E8pOZVkX

here's an interesting article about the pens owner and crosby pushing to save the season

isn't that against the rules? players and owners aren't allowed to talk to each other

http://triblive.com/...)#axzz2E8pOZVkX

No, I think the general idea is that team employees/management shouldn't be in contact with the players....not owners.

bettman and fehr have now joined the group

Don't think so. They're in the building, but not part of meetings.

i can see the headlines now:

"crosby and the pens save the nhl season"

No, I think the general idea is that team employees/management shouldn't be in contact with the players....not owners.

both owners and gm's have been barred from talking to players during this lockout. maybe bettman gave them the okay though

Edited by chances14

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun

also told that Pens owner Ron Burkle made his presence felt in the meeting so far today. I think the players are receptive to him...

This is what a lot of people were hanging on going into this....hoping that Burkle would somehow help.....player friendly and actual award winning labour negotiator.

Always thought Lemieux would be the Pens owner. Good thing if both sides are frustrated, hardline idiots like Jacobs can go to hell for all I care.

Always respected Burkle I think he and Chipman - why not Thompson - are going to do a good job!

Sent from my BlackBerry

Anybody have any news or idea as to what the press conference will be about tomorrow? Best I can find is it is regarding the meetings going on tonight

bettman always does a press conference after the annual board of governors meeting in which he usually talks about the state of the nhl.

Edited by chances14

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

NHL-NHLPA meeting over for the night. Meetings to resume early in the morning.

Steve Fehr: "constructive day, best day we've had but still work to be done."

Nick Cotsonika@cotsonika

Good signs: Daly, Steve Fehr stand side by side, say progress is being made, stay tight-lipped about details, say talks will continue.

Edited by chances14

NHL-NHLPA meeting over for the night. Meetings to resume early in the morning.

Hard to not be a little optimistic about this, pretty good news :)

Steve Fehr: "constructive day, best day we've had but still work to be done."

Nick Cotsonika@cotsonika

Good signs: Daly, Steve Fehr stand side by side, say progress is being made, stay tight-lipped about details, say talks will continue.

Great news, hard not to be optimistic about this (though I have been optimistic before) meeting again in the morning can only be good though. Don't know why it didn't post this and only posted the quotes as I had written this before lol

Edited by Euro_Twins

bettman always does a press conference after the annual board of governors meeting in which he usually talks about the state of the nhl.

I didn't realize that, I had some optimism about what it could be, but that will have to wait I guess lol

Good news that shouldn't be overlooked; from Toronto Star:

For some of the greatest players ever to skate in the National Hockey League, it’s one less thing to worry about as the holiday season approaches.

For others, it ends the uncertainty of wondering whether they’ll be able to make ends meet and pay basic household bills and medical expenses.

In either case, Monday’s confirmation that both the NHL Players’ Association and NHL owners have committed to continuing to fund the Senior Player Benefit plan through 2013 — even if a new collective bargaining agreement is not reached to save this NHL season — came as a relief to hundreds of former players or their widows.

Any theories out there on what's going on?

Some may feel that if this players and owners only meeting(s) (i.e. not Gary or Don) sparks enough traction to get a deal done, wouldn't that make Bettman and Daly look really, really bad. I read a headline this morning that Bettman is likely to get an earful at the governors' meeting today and the heat is on him.

That said.....is this a carefully orchestrated move? Will Bettman come off looking really good because this was his creative idea?

Either would be good for me, the other option is that this will go nowhere and we end up back to square one.

i can see the headlines now:

"crosby and the pens save the nhl season"

both owners and gm's have been barred from talking to players during this lockout. maybe bettman gave them the okay though

Has everyone already forgotten!?! I thought the feelings around here were that crosby was just "buttman's buttboy? Do you not see what's going on here? Now "buttman" has his inside man to the nhlpa at the negotiating table.

Guest RedWingsDad

I'm just worried that even if both sides are willing, it will still not be feasible to not cancel the rest of the games in December as it takes time to work out the many minor details of a CBA after the major hurdles are overcome.

Oh, I absolutely agree that games are done for 2012. Too many logistics involved even if there were a deal. Plus, you'd have to figure there's be SOME type of mini-mini-training camp or team orientation before they throw a regular season product on the ice. Still, a January (or even early February) start of some kind is still possible, but we're running out of precious time.

I can't help but feel encouraged today. But that being said, how does this work, exactly? If Bettman and Fehr are kind of like the ultimate "keepers of the numbers" for their respective sides, what agreements are being worked on without them even present in the room? We'll really have to see how today plays out.

Edited by StormJH1

Gary Bettman to hold live press conference at 1pm EST today. LET IT BE SOMETHING GOOD BOYS

That press conference will likely only be discussing the results of the annual Board of Governors meeting, taking place at this very moment.

The Player/Owner meeting isn't set to begin until sometime later today.

Guest Johnz96

Any theories out there on what's going on?

Some may feel that if this players and owners only meeting(s) (i.e. not Gary or Don) sparks enough traction to get a deal done, wouldn't that make Bettman and Daly look really, really bad. I read a headline this morning that Bettman is likely to get an earful at the governors' meeting today and the heat is on him.

That said.....is this a carefully orchestrated move? Will Bettman come off looking really good because this was his creative idea?

Either would be good for me, the other option is that this will go nowhere and we end up back to square one.

Bettman coming off looking good because his creative idea was that they might get a deal done without him there is the equivalent of a coach not going behind the bench because the team has a better chance of winning without him there.

I don't think it was really his idea and I don't think the owners voted unanimously to lock us all out

Has everyone already forgotten!?! I thought the feelings around here were that crosby was just "buttman's buttboy? Do you not see what's going on here? Now "buttman" has his inside man to the nhlpa at the negotiating table.

The players are gunna git hosed again