• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

[Retired] Official Lockout Thread

Rate this topic

Gary Bettman to hold live press conference at 1pm EST today. LET IT BE SOMETHING GOOD BOYS

Conference call was scheduled long before yesterday's meetings were even scheduled. Bettman always does a post-governors meeting press conference. What I've heard is that the press conference may be cancelled so negotiations can continue.

I'm just worried that even if both sides are willing, it will still not be feasible to not cancel the rest of the games in December as it takes time to work out the many minor details of a CBA after the major hurdles are overcome.

My girlfriend bought a couple tickets for us to go to a Grand Rapid Griffins game at the end of the year. I'm selfishly hoping that the lockout isn't resolved by then, so I can see Brendan Smith and Nyqvist (as they are really the main reason she bought the tickets). But I also don't want the NHL season to be cancelled entirely, so there's a very fine range of dates I'm rooting for.

I'm seeing tweets mentioning that Nick Kypreos is hearing rumors of coaches contacting players, advising them to be ready for a December 14th training camp date.

Since they're rumors only, they're not worth linking to the actual tweets. But it will be interesting to see if some of the more reputable pundits & bloggers start to pick up on this, or get new information of their own regarding this.

In any case, don't hold your breath, but there might be reason to be cautiously optimistic...

^ Maybe I'm outta the loop here, but personally if I were a player - I'd accept a 5 year max on contract length.

I could be wrong, but from what I've seen the vast majority of players get 2 to 4 year deals; only "star" calibre players get the 5 plus years.

I think some kind of limit on contract length is perfectly reasonable, and the PA should agree to that. The league really overreached with their initial contracting restriction demands, but if they back off some on those, they could probably get the PA to agree to length and year-to-year salary variation limits.

^ Maybe I'm outta the loop here, but personally if I were a player - I'd accept a 5 year max on contract length.

I could be wrong, but from what I've seen the vast majority of players get 2 to 4 year deals; only "star" calibre players get the 5 plus years.

I think they need limits for sure, but the owners could make a relatively painless concession by giving them a bit more long term job security of something like 7 years while still including the 5% back diving restriction.

Plus it seems like being able to afford longer term contracts could give a competitive edge to more financially successful franchises like the Wings.

I think they need limits for sure, but the owners could make a relatively painless concession by giving them a bit more long term job security of something like 7 years while still including the 5% back diving restriction.

Plus it seems like being able to afford longer term contracts could give a competitive edge to more financially successful franchises like the Wings.

i think i read somewhere that the nhl's insurance company only covers a player's contract for the first 5 years. i would assume that's where they got the magical number of 5. what's kind of funny though is that the majority of players never end up signing a contract that is more than 5 years in length during their career

also saw this on twitter

Iain MacIntyre@imacVanSun

Sportsnet's Nick Kypreos says some coaches are calling players to tell them to be ready for imminent return. #CBA

Edited by chances14

In terms of comments around games lost through to the end of the month....I'm not so sure. If they get traction, they can literally get to agreement in principle in a matter of a day or two. Drafting legal documentation will take longer, but that won't hold up getting training camps underway, etc. They'd probably have a 1 week camp and then games would start. Not impossible to have games starting sometime between the 15-20th.

That said....getting way ahead of ourselves, things could go off the rails pretty quickly.... I think today will be very important as it will include input from whatever happend at the BOG meeting.

i think i read somewhere that the nhl's insurance company only covers a player's contract for the first 5 years. i would assume that's where they got the magical number of 5. what's kind of funny though is that the majority of players never end up signing a contract that is more than 5 years in length during their career

also saw this on twitter

Anyone listen to Hockey Central today? Nick certainly isn't tweeting this. Hard to believe the coaches would be doing this. They wouldn't be in any better of a position to know anything than most others. Not sure why anyone would reach out to the coaches and suggest they start getting ready either, doesn't make sense.

Anyone listen to Hockey Central today? Nick certainly isn't tweeting this. Hard to believe the coaches would be doing this. They wouldn't be in any better of a position to know anything than most others. Not sure why anyone would reach out to the coaches and suggest they start getting ready either, doesn't make sense.

i didn't make sense to me either

I'm seeing tweets mentioning that Nick Kypreos is hearing rumors of coaches contacting players, advising them to be ready for a December 14th training camp date.

Since they're rumors only, they're not worth linking to the actual tweets. But it will be interesting to see if some of the more reputable pundits & bloggers start to pick up on this, or get new information of their own regarding this.

In any case, don't hold your breath, but there might be reason to be cautiously optimistic...

Even though I am a bit apprehensive about it, reading that gave me chills. I have a feeling about it this time.

http://blogs.edmonto...k-kypreos-says/

“Apparently Gary is ready to get a deal done,” Kypreos said. “He wants this thing done Friday. Friday!”

On Sportsnet’s Hockey Central show, Kypreos debated the issues withtwo other NHL insiders, former NHL GM Doug MacLean and sportscaster Daren Millard.

MacLean said that six weeks ago, he heard the NHL’s position, that “it is knock ‘em down, drag ‘em out until December 1st, and then at December 1st we’re getting a deal done.”

I didn't think I could be this excited about hockey starting 3 months late.

Edited by rrasco

I didn't think I could be this excited about hockey starting 3 months late.

I'm withholding any excitement, for 2 reasons. 1 - Waiting to see more than just Kyp/Mac to pick up on this emerging trend. And 2 - We've been even closer to a deal with the '04/05 lockout, just to see the whole thing come crashing down.

It's encouraging to hear more positive reports than negative, though, for sure.

wait what???

Shocking Update #CBA meetings. The owner said to have been the most helpful to players in the meetings. Not who most have assumed! (cont.)

Yes Ron Burkle has been a voice of reason but the answer is and most people won't believe it but it is true.......JEREMY JACOBS

https://twitter.com/brianlawton9/

some more good news

Tim Panaccio@tpanotchCSN

confirmed: BOG talked of 50/60 games; leaning < 60 ... guvs "feeling very positive." Another good sign: no 'drop dead' date was discussed

Edited by chances14

I'm withholding any excitement, for 2 reasons. 1 - Waiting to see more than just Kyp/Mac to pick up on this emerging trend. And 2 - We've been even closer to a deal with the '04/05 lockout, just to see the whole thing come crashing down.

It's encouraging to hear more positive reports than negative, though, for sure.

I'm trying to, but I need this to happen.

wait what???

https://twitter.com/brianlawton9/

some more good news

This is the most surprising post I have seen since the lockout began, Jacobs is the most helpful towards the players? This is a sick joke, there is no deal to be made they are just messing with us lol.

Seriously though, if they do not get a deal done from this, the season will be cancelled, guaranteed. This is make it or break it time. On a side note I refuse to purchase any merchandise, and tickets for as long as this lockout has lasted. So far they have lost my money for the rest of the season

Huh? I don't see how the math works there.

If I'm not mistaken.. He means as long as the lockout has lasted (in days), he won't purchase anything from the NHL for that amount of time after it resumes.. Sort of a personal vendetta against the NHL.

If I'm not mistaken.. He means as long as the lockout has lasted (in days), he won't purchase anything from the NHL for that amount of time after it resumes.. Sort of a personal vendetta against the NHL.

Yes, I get that....but, we've only missed about 60 days of NHL regular season so far. If they start up tomorrow (I know, not possible, but for sake of illustration)...60 days from now would be early February. How does he get to not purchasing anything for the rest of the season?

Yes, I get that....but, we've only missed about 60 days of NHL regular season so far. If they start up tomorrow (I know, not possible, but for sake of illustration)...60 days from now would be early February. How does he get to not purchasing anything for the rest of the season?

probably a typo or something. not a big deal really

John Shannon@JSportsnet

Was just told by an NHL Coach, that since @RealKyper reported Coaches contacting players, the teams have been warned to cease and desist

so does this confirm that some coaches were actually talking to players?

Yes, it has been 80 days missed by the way. Which by the time NHL starts would be like 90, and that would be the end of march. I am not going to buy tickets to the playoffs or seasons end either because they made me suffer, and if I don't go to regular season games I won't go to playoffs either.

Yes, it has been 80 days missed by the way. Which by the time NHL starts would be like 90, and that would be the end of march. I am not going to buy tickets to the playoffs or seasons end either because they made me suffer, and if I don't go to regular season games I won't go to playoffs either.

I understand your frustration.. I'm totally going to still go to games though. I just want hockey

Aaron Ward@aaronward_nhl

After the BOG meetings, NHLPA presented NHL with a proposal. #TSN

Nick Cotsonika@cotsonika

Players are waiting for NHL to respond to proposal. This presumably will tell them how far owners are really willing to bend.

Nick Cotsonika@cotsonika

Realistic hope is that owners counter and this continues.

Ok, I was really only thinking about when the regular season was supposed to start....I couldn't care less about training camp.