• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

[Retired] Official Lockout Thread

Rate this topic

I really miss the days, of having useful, well thought out news on an actual homepage instead of this twitter crap. Guys like MacKenzie, LeBrun and Dreger should stick to using tsn.ca instead of shortmessage-system aka twitter.

As long as nothing has been made official, I will remain skeptical.

I will remain skeptical as well as hopeful. I have gotten my hopes up already just to see everything unravel in like 10 minutes, so I won't get optimistic until everything is made official.

Nothing being posted on Twitter other than Fehr sent out pizza to the press and the hotel provided cookies. The podium now has a Twitter account. Make that 2 accounts. Good grief.

#podiumwatch is trending; I HIGHLY recommend reading it if you have an account. Some of them are damn funny.

Nothing being posted on Twitter other than Fehr sent out pizza to the press and the hotel provided cookies. The podium now has a Twitter account. Make that 2 accounts. Good grief.

definitely ridiculous but it did have one tweet i thought was pretty funny ha....

NHL Podium@NHLPodium

I'm trying to read the first page of Bettman's notes sitting on top of me, but all I can make out is "sneer condescendingly".

I managed to read @NHLPodium's feed before I got kicked. I was searching for something then I got a cert error. It's fairly common with this CA but no real answer to fixing it. FF should let me in after I create an exemption for the cert error, but nope. I can still get to it on my phone. I just hate doing stuff on mobile devices.

@NormanJamesCTV: Forbes just valued the podium ahead of 15 NHL franchises

Da Flobz@DaFlobz

#PodiumWatch Breaking News: Bruins had a third 1st round pick from Leafs, Draft #NHLPodium as franchise goalie.

OMG!! RT @Kesler_84: Tim Thomas is "taking a year off" because the podium is a democrat.... And black...

Adam Rickert@adam_rickert

#podiumwatch Patrick Kane just beat up the podium over 60 cents

Christopher Tremblay@TremzLightyear

Breaking news: Pk Subban has walked near #NHLPodium and fell backwards after 0 contact, #NHLPodium penalized for boarding#PodiumWatch

Jamie Kellner@jbk_ltd

RT @_TyAnderson: BREAKING: With a glass of water on it, Podium now has more Cups than the Vancouver Canucks and Buffalo Sabres. #podiumwatch

Michelle Lewis@ChiquitaBlndita

Have prayers in to @HockeyTheGods &@Hockey_Jesus and sent a Swiffer duster to NHL Podium.

@NormanJamesCTV: Forbes just valued the podium ahead of 15 NHL franchises

Da Flobz@DaFlobz

#PodiumWatch Breaking News: Bruins had a third 1st round pick from Leafs, Draft #NHLPodium as franchise goalie.

OMG!! RT @Kesler_84: Tim Thomas is "taking a year off" because the podium is a democrat.... And black...

Adam Rickert@adam_rickert

#podiumwatch Patrick Kane just beat up the podium over 60 cents

Christopher Tremblay@TremzLightyear

Breaking news: Pk Subban has walked near #NHLPodium and fell backwards after 0 contact, #NHLPodium penalized for boarding#PodiumWatch

Jamie Kellner@jbk_ltd

RT @_TyAnderson: BREAKING: With a glass of water on it, Podium now has more Cups than the Vancouver Canucks and Buffalo Sabres. #podiumwatch

Michelle Lewis@ChiquitaBlndita

Have prayers in to @HockeyTheGods &@Hockey_Jesus and sent a Swiffer duster to NHL Podium.

Thanks to you reading the podiumwatch tweets is occupying me more then checking lockout news and 9gag were combined

On that note, If****** hate Twitter and it's stupid SSL errors. I don't know what I just did, god forbid I perform a search on the site, and now I can't access it at all due to SSL errors. Can't even add an exception.

For the last 6 months I couldn't use Twitter because of this. Recently it started working, and of course now, nothing. If I can't get this site to work and I work in IT. They done f***ed up.

never had that problem. have you tried using different browsers on your computer?

I don't even have a twitter because I think it is dumb. Most relevant sports related posts on twitter get posted here anyways, so i am cool with that :)

somebody's gotta have a twitter or else those wouldn't be posted on here lol

I agree. I only get on it to check for breaking news in times like these. And the god damnf****** site won't work when I need it to. Of course.

the only times i really use twitter is during the nhl trade deadline day and the free agency period and now obviously during this lockout

I really miss the days, of having useful, well thought out news on an actual homepage instead of this twitter crap. Guys like MacKenzie, LeBrun and Dreger should stick to using tsn.ca instead of shortmessage-system aka twitter.

As long as nothing has been made official, I will remain skeptical.

those days are long gone. people want news and information as soon as possible because we have all be spoiled by the internet and twitter. they don't care about well thought out news articles.

Edited by chances14

I can see the headlines

"The wonder boy does it again! Sidney Crosby not only can play hockey like a God, but he can also save an nhl season. On a side note during celebrations the other 17 players lifted him up in celebration, and he fell to the floor getting a concussion and will be out 1-2 seasons..."

from tsn

The league's offer Wednesday night offered a raise in money devoted to the 'make-whole' provision. The number in the latest offer jumped to $300 million, up from $211 million in the league's previous offer. The players had previously asked for $389 million, making the owners' latest offer an exact middle ground between the previous offer and the players' demands.

The proposal submitted was for a 10-year term for the next CBA, with rules governing unrestricted free agency and salary arbitration to remain unchanged from last season. The league did not budge on its request for a five-year term limit on player contracts and held firm to a maximum year-to-year salary variance of five per cent.

The league's offer did, however, offer an exception on contract lengths for the re-signing of free agents. Teams would be allowed to re-sign their own free agents to contracts up to seven years in duration.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

What the NHLPA will like about NHL offer: status quo on UFA and salary arbitration.

What NHLPA may not like about NHL proposal: $300M Make Whole, up from $211M offer, which more or less splits difference on NHLPA ask $393M.

What NHLPA definitely won't like about NHL offer: 5 year term limit on contracts (except 7 for own UFAs), 5% variance, 10 year term for CBA.

i can't for the life of me figure out why the players want such a short term cba. for one, you know the owners are going to ask for more concessions next time around so why would you want to subject yourself to it after only 5 years, not to mention that the possibility of more lost wages in another lockout. and james mirtle makes a good point::

James Mirtle@mirtle

Frankly, a 10-year CBA probably helps players in long run. A 50-50 split eight or nine years from now likely means very high average salary.

i also hope that these negotiations don't fall apart on contracting issues that only affect a small minority of players. how many players have signed a contract longer than 5 years in their careers?

and this from grange

According to sources close to the negotiation it was Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller who lost his temper briefly, which seemed to encourage further dialogue, although at another point Boston Bruins hard line owner Jeremy Jacobs threatened to leave the negotiation. At that point a more moderate group of owners including the Pittsburgh Penguins' Ron Burkle and the Tampa Bay Lightning's Jeff Vinik agreed to keep the negotiation going.

jacobs is a complete moron. this guy is way worse than bettman

but it's nice to see these other owners stepping up and making jacobs back down. this should have happened months ago.

Edited by chances14

interesting point brought up by freidman regarding pension

Elliotte Friedman@FriedgeHNIC

Twitter stream coming: that pension issue by mentioned by @TSNBobMcKenzie is a thorny one. Here's why: pension laws are different in US...

and Canada. US teams can pay approx $20,000 more than Canadians tax-free. So, it's an advantage if you're playing south of border...

because you are shielded from those taxes and Canadian teams making up the difference aren't protected from paying them

Canadian teams want more protection, which is why $50M would be included in make whole. But, players would look at it as...

That's our money already. Was warned today this would be a problem, now I see what it is.

a few more tweets

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger

Players may not love the leagues proposal, but, it might be enough to encourage a full membership vote. Make Whole will always be an issue.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

Couple of other details emerging: NHL proposal for 10 year CBA term contains an opt-out clause after 8 years. So it could be an 8 year deal.

Of the $300M NHL proposed for Make Whole, $250M is Make Whole and $50M is for pension funding that would not come out of the players' share.

James Mirtle@mirtle

Been told for months players more likely to give on variance than strict term limit, preserving DiPietro deals. Still believe that the case.

In any event... two sides so close now, how can they NOT get a deal done?

article by lebrun summarizing the day up

and finally a couple more tweets before i log off for the night

Katie Strang@KatieStrangESPN

#CBA Told by multiple sources there is growing concern among union abt current format moving fwd. PA wants no restrictions on who's in room

#CBA Some concern that this format could be ploy to drive wedge among union membership. One source described today's session as "bizarre"

#CBA No restrictions on who is in room would mean both Don Fehr and Gary Bettman could be back in the fold

Edited by chances14

i can't for the life of me figure out why the players want such a short term cba. for one, you know the owners are going to ask for more concessions next time around so why would you want to subject yourself to it after only 5 years, not to mention that the possibility of more lost wages in another lockout. and james mirtle makes a good point::

I don't get it either. On some level I can understand that if they end up getting screwed they can get out earlier, but the more likely scenario (as you mention) is that in 5 years the owners will just lock them out again and try and get even more.

There's an 8 year opt out for both sides. I'm not sure how likely either would be to use it though, as I'm guessing if you opt out that immediately makes your side look like the bad guy headed into a new CBA negotiation. Things would have to be pretty awful for the players for them to use it. I don't know if the opt out has been used in other sports though. Maybe it's not that big of a deal.

i also hope that these negotiations don't fall apart on contracting issues that only affect a small minority of players. how many players have signed a contract longer than 5 years in their careers?

Plus there's the 7 year for a re-signing free agents, or something like that. From tweets i've been reading it sounds like it's the combo of 5 year contracts and 5%.

jacobs is a complete moron. this guy is way worse than bettman

but it's nice to see these other owners stepping up and making jacobs back down. this should have happened months ago.

Agreed.

Though I'd put them at equal morons because Bettman has made Jacobs his right hand man as much or more than Daly. He's given a ton of power to the most hard line owner that even Bruins fans hate.

It sounds like all info and optimism should be taken with a grain of salt.

McKenzie:

All I can tell you is there's a really bizarre dynamic right now and so many mixed signals coming from both sides.

Dreger:

4 on 4 mtng last night was brief. PA did not like that dynamic, hence the players insistance on an open room today.

Bettman and Fehr are re-joining negotiations today.....worries me big time.

The two biggest dicks rejoin the negotiations after much progress was made without them. Color me shocked.

Sometimes I wonder why some people are behind the owners or players in this debacle. We remove the cancer that is Bettman and Fehr, and progress is made. Those two come back in the room, and that should worry everyone.

I really should have kept away from reading all the stories about the lock out, I was doing good for a while trying to close my eyes and ears, but now every tweet, update and post is getting me closer and closer to falling out of my seat and I can't stop reading.