• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

[Retired] Official Lockout Thread

Rate this topic

That's what I don't get. According to TSN:

[/background][/size][/font][/color]

That makes it sound like it came from the players themselves, not some unilateral decision by the Fehrs.

There's just so much misinformation out there right now as each side blames the other.

Fehr and Bettman are just spokespeople. They are going to take all the blame, but you can look at the 700 players and 30 owners as the real people at fault. They are the ones who want their cake and eat it too. Bettman and Fehr should both be fired just to get new people who are hopefully not complete asshats. There needs to be cooperation. Watching these negotiations is like watching republicans vrs democrats and the fiscal cliff. No resolution, and a lot of pontificating to the media on why they are right and the other side is wrong.

Yes, I did read why we shouldn't respond to each other's posts, but I have my anger issues under control. No personal attacks.

The fans have a right to be furious.

I'm just about done with this gong show. I'm going to see the Rampage and Barons play on Sunday. Screw the NHL. I'll find other ways to fill my time and empty my wallet.

Already there dude. I will watch AHL and college hockey.

very interesting

adater@adater

From deep inside players side: "We were ready to play again. But Don came in (Wed.) and told us we could get more and to hold out

That depth player was not on the Avalanche, FYI. That's all I have on this

Fehr did not hold a player-wide conference call in saying that, important to note. Came from top down, trickle-down

Bottom line here: Players say they are unified, but not what I'm hearing from this depth player. They'll deny that publicly, but..

.privately, they are feeling powerless as the Ryan Millers and Brad Richards of the world pretend this is a sacrifice for them

This depth player is wicked smart though. May put his name to comments soon. Sorry for anonymous tilt to this. not my style

This is complete and utter bulls*&^!!!! I left for work earlier thinking that we were so close to a season starting (but not getting my hopes up yet) and I knew somehow things could get screwed up because it IS the nhl were talking about. I come home from work, grab a beer and expect to read all about how wonderful it is they finally agreed to a deal and once again I feel like the owners and the PA have taken a huge dump on me! Thanks owners for making your offer non negotiable, and thanks Fehr for cnstantly instilling false hope in your players.

So if I'm reading this right, the owners don't want long front loaded contracts, and they want a longer CBA, and they've met in the middle on the make whole, and they (and the players) agreed on a 50/50 split. How is anybody not in favor of this from a fan's perspective?

Before this whole negotiation mess everybody on this discussion board was against front loaded contracts. Everyone favored a longer CBA. 50/50 is even and 300 million in the make whole is pretty much exactly between the owners 211 million, and the players 393 million. I honestly don't get what's not to like about this.

So if I'm reading this right, the owners don't want long front loaded contracts, and they want a longer CBA, and they've met in the middle on the make whole, and they (and the players) agreed on a 50/50 split. How is anybody not in favor of this from a fan's perspective?

Before this whole negotiation mess everybody on this discussion board was against front loaded contracts. Everyone favored a longer CBA. 50/50 is even and 300 million in the make whole is pretty much exactly between the owners 211 million, and the players 393 million. I honestly don't get what's not to like about this.

Nor does anyone else, the players agreed to the owners 300million make whole, the pension plan, the 50/50. The problem is the players chose to NEGOTIATE off the owners last proposal and ask for 8 year contract limits instead of 5, and an 8 year cba with an opt out option after 6 years instead of 10 year cba with a opt out at 8 years.

fehr really messed up today and it may cost the players a ton of money.

owners made it clear that they didn't want him in the room today but he insisted on being in there and he wanted mediators there as well. all this despite the fact that significant progress was made the last 2 days without him and bettman in there (i don't think that's a coincidence). then 2 hrs later fehr proclaims to the media that this lockout is essentially over, only to have it blow up in his face a few minutes later on live tv. All indications pointed to a lot of players wanting to put the deal that the owners tabled to the entire pa for a vote but fehr advised against it.

that said the owners are being equally stupid with their take it or leave it approach to negotiating. there was no reason bettman had to come out and take everything off the table today. does anyone truly believe it's off the table anyways? I also don't like how the owners and bettman appear to have refused to start up negotiations again. i guess they are still too busy having their little hissy fits

Helene St. James@HeleneStJames

NHL has told PA there will be no meetings Friday. #NHLLockout

my fear now is what cherry brought up

Don Cherry@CoachsCornerCBC

Your way and the doves put an extra 100 million on the table and when the association said ok but... The doves turned into hawks themselves

I believe the hardliners said to the doves ok we did it your way and the association thinks we are weak.. Now we'll do it our way.

if that's the case and jacobs is back in control, this season is toast.

but the bottom line is both sides hate each other with a burning passion and both sides are acting like morons and until that changes, no season will be played

both sides refuse to budge on the contract term length and variance, which is infuriating to me because it only affects a small minority of the players. both sides should want the longest cba term possible especially the players. the longer they can go without being forced to make more concessions in another lockout, the better. it's mind boggling how they don't want the longest cba term possible.

Edited by chances14

Nor does anyone else, the players agreed to the owners 300million make whole, the pension plan, the 50/50. The problem is the players chose to NEGOTIATE off the owners last proposal and ask for 8 year contract limits instead of 5, and an 8 year cba with an opt out option after 6 years instead of 10 year cba with a opt out at 8 years.

Wait so I"m lost, you're in favor of the players negotiating off the contract term limits and the cba length? If so, would you also be in favor of the owners agreeing to 8 year contracts and an 8 year cba but for only 275 million in make whole, since we're NEGOTIATING off the first proposal?

Ryan Rishaug@TSNRyanRishaug

Daly reaction to Hainsey saying owners told players that adding D. Fehr back in room could be a deal breaker.. “it was a reaction to the…

…to players unilaterally terminating the players/owners-only dynamic, and telling us (2 or 3 times) that their decision was non-negotiable..

..totally within their rights to do, but response of our owners was “if that’s the case, don’t expect us to stay involved.”

both sides refuse to budge on the contracting issues, which is infuriating to me because it only affects a small minority of the players. both sides should want the longest cba term possible especially the players. the longer they can go without being forced to make more concessions in another lockout, the better. it's mind boggling how they don't want the longest cba term possible.

That's not true, the owners budged on the arbitration issue and the free agency age. The players are not budging on front loaded contracts and cba length. Two things that pretty much all fans think should happen.

Edited by kipwinger

That's not true, the owners budged on the arbitration issue and the free agency age. The players are not budging on front loaded contracts and cba length. Two things that pretty much all fans think should happen.

you're right. i meant to say contract length and variance.

Wait so I"m lost, you're in favor of the players negotiating off the contract term limits and the cba length? If so, would you also be in favor of the owners agreeing to 8 year contracts and an 8 year cba but for only 275 million in make whole, since we're NEGOTIATING off the first proposal?

No. Because you don't come off an offer you proposed. The players agreed to the $300M, they didn't ask for $325M. Now that the PA has offered 8 years on contract limits and 8 years on CBA term with an opt out at year 6, you wouldn't expect them to table an offer with longer terms than that at any point in the future.

No. Because you don't come off an offer you proposed. The players agreed to the $300M, they didn't ask for $325M. Now that the PA has offered 8 years on contract limits and 8 years on CBA term with an opt out at year 6, you wouldn't expect them to table an offer with longer terms than that at any point in the future.

You do come off it if you proposed it in a quid pro quo manner, as was made clear repeatedly by the ownership. You get 300 in exchange for 5 years contracts and a 10 year cba. It wasn't an open ended offer.

you're right. i meant to say contract length and variance.

Oh gotcha, I agree. The fact is, after today the NHL offered almost 100 million more in "make whole" and completely conceded arbitration and free agency and the players conceded nothing. Awesome.

http://triblive.com/mobile/m/msports/3089560-96/owners-crosby-fehr

The owners, at the behest of Burkle, pushed for a 10-year term for the labor agreement in hopes of securing longstanding labor peace to rebuild confidence in the NHL brand among fans, sponsors and networks.

When the union resisted, it was amended to eight years, with a six-year opt-out clause for either side.

Fehr stuck by the original five years, insisting that “it’s not fair to the next generation of players to not have their own say.”

this sounds like a lame ass excuse to me

i can already predict what future players are going to say, "no more concessions!"

You do come off it if you proposed it in a quid pro quo manner, as was made clear repeatedly by the ownership. You get 300 in exchange for 5 years contracts and a 10 year cba. It wasn't an open ended offer.

Oh gotcha, I agree. The fact is, after today the NHL offered almost 100 million more in "make whole" and completely conceded arbitration and free agency and the players conceded nothing. Awesome.

You misrepresented what I said, I don't care who is right or wrong I just want hockey. I think it is wrong for Bettman and Jacobs to throw temper tantrums and storm away yelling no more meetings because the PA tried to negotiate off their last proposal. If the PA did the same thing I would say they were being childish too. It seems everytime they get close to a deal Bettman gets fed up and stops negotiations.

You misrepresented what I said, I don't care who is right or wrong I just want hockey. I think it is wrong for Bettman and Jacobs to throw temper tantrums and storm away yelling no more meetings because the PA tried to negotiate off their last proposal. If the PA did the same thing I would say they were being childish too. It seems everytime they get close to a deal Bettman gets fed up and stops negotiations.

No, I do understand what you're saying. What I'm saying is...if the owners said they would give 300 million in make whole, under the condition that the players accept the contracts length and cba length provisions, and the players did not accept those provisions, then you definitely pull the 300 million. The owners made one contingent on the other, and when that wasn't accepted, they pulled their offer.

I'm with you though, I don't care who's right, I want hockey. But when I see an offer that seems very fair to me, turned down because of something that almost all fans and owners want anyway (shorter contracts and longer cba), it's hard not to be pissed off at the union.