• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

[Retired] Official Lockout Thread

Rate this topic

i think a luxury tax could be good in the long run, but i'm not sure the nhl could ever recover from the short term damage it would cause. if fehr tried to push for luxury tax, i could see this thing being dragged on for another whole season.

i think the owners have too much personal hate for fehr for them to cave in and accept a luxury tax. they haven't even been willing to budge an inch on contract term length. i doubt they budge on a complete overhaul of the system

Edited by chances14

A fan protest video retweeted by McKenzie. It's a pretty simple plan and message to the NHL about fans boycotting games.

There have been a lot of videos about similar protests (some going back to when the lockout was a mere threat). While I am in complete support of the idea, I do not think it will make much of a difference. Regardless of the campaigns, revenue is going to take a hit next year (just as it does after every lockout). The problem stems from the fact that the current leaders of the NHL and NHLPA are much too worried about their own bottom line than the growth of the sport. The administration needs a change, and I'm afraid that monetary losses will hurt the sport and fail to solve this problem. Don't get me wrong, I'm participating just in case it does work, but do not confuse the "league's" selfishness with the selfishness of the few at the top.

Guest Playmaker

The only protest that will be effective and get the owners attention is empty seats...and lots of them, in the arenas.

Guest Johnz96

There have been a lot of videos about similar protests (some going back to when the lockout was a mere threat). While I am in complete support of the idea, I do not think it will make much of a difference. Regardless of the campaigns, revenue is going to take a hit next year (just as it does after every lockout). The problem stems from the fact that the current leaders of the NHL and NHLPA are much too worried about their own bottom line than the growth of the sport. The administration needs a change, and I'm afraid that monetary losses will hurt the sport and fail to solve this problem. Don't get me wrong, I'm participating just in case it does work, but do not confuse the "league's" selfishness with the selfishness of the few at the top.

After the last lockout we came back in record numbers and broke revenue records.

Let's break some records this time as well.

Biggest revenue decline and they won't lock us out when the new CBA expires.

In fact most of us know what the problem is and so does he. We miss hockey and love it too much to stay away. I love it too much to come back (I'll watch on streams and t.v. but they won't get a cent of my money until he is fired) until he is fired. IF more of us loved it as much, he will be eradicated.

Boycott spending money on the NHL until they have no choice but to fire him. Even not considering the lockouts, he is the worst thing to ever happen to the sport of hockey

We are eventually going to do this. Is it now or when the new CBA expires?

We have to make sacrifices for greater gains.

Edited by Johnz96

After the last lockout we came back in record numbers and broke revenue records.

Let's break some records this time as well.

Biggest revenue decline and they won't lock us out when the new CBA expires.

In fact most of us know what the problem is and so does he. We miss hockey and love it too much to stay away. I love it too much to come back (I'll watch on streams and t.v. but they won't get a cent of my money until he is fired) until he is fired. IF more of us loved it as much, he will be eradicated.

Boycott spending money on the NHL until they have no choice but to fire him. Even not considering the lockouts, he is the worst thing to ever happen to the sport of hockey

We are eventually going to do this. Is it now or when the new CBA expires?

We have to make sacrifices for greater gains.

The players and owners have done enough to destroy the league, I hate the idea of fans killing the league and the teams we love. The empty seats protest is pointless, and will never work. We don't need to support Bettman, his track record will get him fired, but we do need to support the Red Wings.

Guest Johnz96

The players and owners have done enough to destroy the league, I hate the idea of fans killing the league and the teams we love. The empty seats protest is pointless, and will never work. We don't need to support Bettman, his track record will get him fired, but we do need to support the Red Wings.

His track record should have had him fired a long time ago. Even if you don't consider the lockouts he is the worst thing to ever happen to the sport of hockey. The fans (customers source of HRR) have been screaming and booing to have him fired for almost 2 decades now.

He won't be fired unless we do something about it. We can do something about it now or will we finally have enough of it after the next CBA expire and we are locked out again or are a bunch of us going to blame whoever is the head of thre NHLPA then?

If you HAVE to go to games please bring anti Bettman/Lockouts signs chant and chant anti Bettman chants and don't buy NHL merchandise.

Do it for the love of hockey and all of us who love it.

NOMORELOCKOUTS

NOBETTMAN!

Guest Johnz96

Paula Geraci

Twas' the night before Christmas

and all through the house (MSG)

Not a player was playing

'Cause Bettman's a louse

A Lockout has taken our games all away

Despair had run rampant with each passing day

The fans had grown weary, hoping Lockout would end,

We asked for no Jerseys for Santa to send.

Meetings were useless, giving false hope.

The Media played us, as we all tried to cope.

Arenas were dark, workers hung to dry, businesses local, owners now cry.

No Winter Classic, a tradition for me,

To share with my friends a beer or three.

Players defected to teams far away,

While fans dreamed of an end, so Our Teams could play.

So Santa was cross, Hockey fan himself,

Turned Bettman into a creepy, Elf on a Shelf.

Now, Bettman, now, Jacobs and the rest full of greed,

Beware of the Naughty List, Santa's wrath you should heed,

Bring back our Hockey, end Lockout, end fight..

Merry Christmas to all,

and to all a Good Night!

~Paula~

Edited by Johnz96

Don Fehr introducing a luxury tax would make him a god amongst players and fans, to me it'd be well worth it!

LT is so much better than the stupid cap. In the end the NHL might not even have a choice if they continue to throw the PA under the bus, they are going to decertify or pursh hard for a luxury tax.

If we are going to lose another season, then we may as well get that damn luxury tax then.

The only protest that will be effective and get the owners attention is empty seats...and lots of them, in the arenas.

QFT

I was spending about $1000-$2000 on NHL tickets, NHL Center Ice Subscriptions, and merchandise every year. I already promised I am taking the next 3-5 years off from seeing games in person or buying merchandise. The NHL makes a vast majority of its money through gate receipts. The corporate ticket buyers will renew their tickets and buy the suites. Let them spend their money. The NHL and the players aren't worth my financial commitment.

Let's look at a not-too hypothetical situation:

Pretend that the NHLPA caves in and agrees to a new CBA now, based solely on the last offer "taken off the table" (Uncle Gary = bully) with nothing else negotiated.

The figure that I have seen bandied about that is in contention is one hundred million dollars.

If an agreement was reached, where would that untouched money go?

Do you think the League would lower the price of tickets?

Do you think the League would lower the cost of signing up to NHL Network?

Do you think the League would lower the price of the "Reebok Detroit Red Wings Infant Faux Layer Jersey & Pant Set" ($31.99...yikes!)?

Do you think the League would hand every fan a ten-dollar voucher the next time they visit a game this decade?

Just like Uncle Gary would say, the answers to the above: No, no, no, no.

I smell quite bonus from the owners coming from this untouched money.

Pretend that the NHLPA caves in and agrees to a new CBA now, based solely on the last offer "taken off the table" (Uncle Gary = bully) with nothing else negotiated.

The figure that I have seen bandied about that is in contention is one hundred million dollars.

Do you think the League would lower the price of the "Reebok Detroit Red Wings Infant Faux Layer Jersey & Pant Set" ($31.99...yikes!)?

Do you think the League would hand every fan a ten-dollar voucher the next time they visit a game this decade?

You are correct. As with any pro sport, the ticket prices just keep going up. Fans who want to go to the games are spending disposable income to attend. This isn't like going to a Griffins game and spending $10-$16. This is going to the Joe and spending 3x-5x that figure depending on where you want to sit. The league isn't going to lower the prices unless people don't go to the games. Attending a Florida Panthers game is roughly half the price of going to a Red Wings game for equivalent seats.

My disposable income is going elsewhere for the next 3 years.

Boy, it sure is easy to tell other people what to do with their money, since it's not yours.

If the owners agreed to the player's side of 100 million dollars, would any of what you just mentioned happen? Not on your life.

I wasn't aware that the league set ticket prices or told Reebok how to charge for their merch. Damn. They do have a lot of power.

Edited by kipwinger

Guest RedWingsDad

I will eagerly watch every game when they are back on TV and go to just as many games as I did before. Nobody needs to be punished here... your only punishing yourself if you take the position. The need for a CBA deprives you of NHL hockey, and you punish whomever you hold responsible by depriving yourself of... even more NHL hockey? Hmmmmm

Edited by RedWingsDad

I wasn't aware that the league set ticket prices or told Reebok how to charge for their merch. Damn. They do have a lot of power.

Not the league. "Uncle Gary" does all that. Duh! :D

I will eagerly watch every game when they are back on TV and go to just as many games as I did before. Nobody needs to be punished here... your only punishing yourself if you take the position. The need for a CBA deprives you of NHL hockey, and you punish whomever you hold responsible by depriving yourself of... even more NHL hockey? Hmmmmm

I disagree. By watching them on TV, I will still enjoy NHL hockey. Not going to games will be a small sacrifice, but one the league and players will feel in the end. Depriving would be me not watching them on TV. I am a hockey nut, and a clean break won't happen.

Guest RedWingsDad

Not the league. "Uncle Gary" does all that. Duh! :D

I disagree. By watching them on TV, I will still enjoy NHL hockey. Not going to games will be a small sacrifice, but one the league and players will feel in the end. Depriving would be me not watching them on TV. I am a hockey nut, and a clean break won't happen.

I guess, but don't you enjoy going to the games?... and in the end isn't that the whole point of hockey, to give us enjoyment?

I guess, but don't you enjoy going to the games?... and in the end isn't that the whole point of hockey, to give us enjoyment?

While this is true, the only real way to avoid this in the future is to send them a message now showing them we won't tolerate another lockout

Anyone find it the least bit odd that the league keeps shooting down the NHLPA's proposals with lightning speed?

http://www.mlive.com...ry_fears_s.html

Methinks this lockout is not about what we think it's about, but rather, Something Else....

Yeah, interesting how the owners can identify that something specific is not included in the offer, and reject it based on that. That'd be like going to buy a Ferrari at the Ferrari dealership, and the salesman said "Here is a great Volkswagen." You mean you'd need a day or two to discuss the Volkswagen with everyone you know before saying "Uh. I asked for a Ferrari. No Volkswagen."

Yeah, interesting how the owners can identify that something specific is not included in the offer, and reject it based on that. That'd be like going to buy a Ferrari at the Ferrari dealership, and the salesman said "Here is a great Volkswagen." You mean you'd need a day or two to discuss the Volkswagen with everyone you know before saying "Uh. I asked for a Ferrari. No Volkswagen."

The likely explanation is that, yeah, the NHLPA is simply coming up short. And if this "The league refused the offer without blinking and the players are confused and angry" business were a one-time thing, I'd be fully on-board.

Maybe it's just boredom, but my gut says there's more to this.

The likely explanation is that, yeah, the NHLPA is simply coming up short. And if this "The league refused the offer without blinking and the players are confused and angry" business were a one-time thing, I'd be fully on-board.

Maybe it's just boredom, but my gut says there's more to this.

No because the players are the ones going from 57% salary to 50%, they are the ones who are losing money on contracts the owners signed, they are the ones giving up certain contracting rights in order to protect owners from themselves. Yet after all this Bettman continually states the players are not making any concessions... seems fishy to me as well

Guest Johnz96

No because the players are the ones going from 57% salary to 50%, they are the ones who are losing money on contracts the owners signed, they are the ones giving up certain contracting rights in order to protect owners from themselves. Yet after all this Bettman continually states the players are not making any concessions... seems fishy to me as well

http://www.fiveminutesforfighting.com/2012/12/CBA-negotiations-Bettman-Fehr-NHL-NHLPA-concessions.html