• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

[Retired] Official Lockout Thread

Rate this topic

It's really the owners protecting themselves from themselves.

And to that end they...lock the players out, kill league operations, kick off "negotiations" with one of the oldest underhanded negotiating tricks in the book, single-mindedly endeavor to destroy Donald Fehr, etc. And all of this is costing them how much $$$ every day? And it's driving away how many fans, how many potential patrons? And it's wrecking how many oh-so-lowly livelihoods (e.g. vendors)? And it's doing how much damage to the NHL (hot on the heels of last season's record revenue)?

Just saying.

Guest RedWingsDad

And to that end they...lock the players out, kill league operations, kick off "negotiations" with one of the oldest underhanded negotiating tricks in the book, single-mindedly endeavor to destroy Donald Fehr, etc. And all of this is costing them how much $$$ every day? And it's driving away how many fans, how many potential patrons? And it's wrecking how many oh-so-lowly livelihoods (e.g. vendors)? And it's doing how much damage to the NHL (hot on the heels of last season's record revenue)?

Just saying.

I guess the collective owners, a group of (mostly) successful business people, feels it's better for their long term NHL related revenues to miss out on current revenues in order to secure more favourable terms in the CBA. If they are right, it is better for the players as well. A folded team hires no players, vendors, staff etc. A team bleeding money generally has less to spend on player contracts, staff, and attracts less vendors. On the other hand, a team making money can afford to pay players more, attracts vendors, and generally employ more people.

In this light, perhaps you should support the owners... that is, if your goal is for players to get more money, and concern for the vendors is sincere.

Just saying.

I think he is doing a bang up job himself...doesn't need any help.

I went back and tried to find the video of Costas Tonight with Gary Bettman. I found it, but it was missing the part I wanted to show, when Stern and Bettman were both talking to Costas. I thought it was interesting how Stern essentially answered for Bettman when Costas asked if they were going to hold out for 50/50. I could not locate that video though.

During my search, I watched some of the video again and read some of the quotes. The source of a quote that had alluded me, I stumbled across. I thought it was an important counter-argument to those who say that Fehr was stalling negotiations back in January, because it doesn't sound like Bettman had any intention of negotiating back then either.

Bettman on CBA negotiations:

"I've made it a practice not to talk about collective bargaining because we're having a great season and it's not something we're engaged in right now."

http://www.sportsbus...tman-Stern.aspx

I also thought it was interesting how Bettman essentially brags about coming back from the last lockout after 'shutting our doors for a year'. That part starts at 15:30. Most of this interview is about concussions and fighting.

http://video.nbcspor...593035#46593035

Also, just because it's kind of weird to go back and read stuff we were posting about a potential lockout back in March...here is the thread I had started about this episode of Costas Tonight.

http://www.letsgowin...costas-tonight/

And here's to you Evander Kane, for dim-wittedly destroying any good will the players might still have in the minds of many fans. Nothing says "we're the good guys" like flaunting your stacks of money in a Las Vegas penthouse. Atta boy.

kane.jpg?w=385&h=390

Edited by kipwinger

Sad that I hear about game cancellations from my local news before I see it elsewhere. I thought it was particularly interesting they used a picture from JLA. It's like they're trying to break my heart. </3

NEW YORK (AP) — The NHL has wiped out all games through Jan. 14, and if it needs to make any more cancellations, the entire season could be the next thing to go.

http://www.mysananto...-14-4135777.php

Did that picture of Kane just come out Kip?

Edited by rrasco

Sad that I hear about game cancellations from my local news before I see it elsewhere. I thought it was particularly interesting they used a picture from JLA. It's like they're trying to break my heart. </3

http://www.mysananto...-14-4135777.php

Did that picture just come out Kip?

Yep, I just read the story on TSN and looked it up. Same goes for the Brassard link. Bummer about the JLA pic, it really is like rubbing our noses in it.

I just read that article. Was looking on Twitter for mention of Kane, but none there.

Seems that Austrian club has management issues, at least that's what the comments in that article are insinuating. Of course, they're also talking about armed forces and terrorism, so who the hell knows.

After reading the Kane article, he mentions Mayweather. If you ever saw the Ortiz/Mayweather 24/7, him and 50 cent were doing that with money, so I understand the joke. Horrible timing though.

Edited by rrasco

Reports are that the next cancellation will be the season. I guess I can almost officially thank both the NHL owners & players for saving me the cost of the Center Ice package in these hard economic times. It's really nice that they were looking out for the fiscal health of the fans like that. That's what this was all about right? Right? :glare:

Reports are that the next cancellation will be the season. I guess I can almost officially thank both the NHL owners & players for saving me the cost of the Center Ice package in these hard economic times. It's really nice that they were looking out for the fiscal health of the fans like that. That's what this was all about right? Right? :glare:

Hell, I would like to thank both the NHL owners and players for saving me the cost of going to 2-3 NHL games by this time. That comes to about $400 by the time you factor in tickets, food, gas, parking, and so on. I won't be spending jack s*** on the NHL for the next 3 years at least.

And if he would of came out and just flat said "Yeah probably not gonna have a season this year" you and a bunch of others on here would of blown up and came up with a bunch of other silly names for "Buttman" because WE ALL know that its Bettmans fault and only his fault.

I mean really...what the heck would you rather him say!?!

Timestamp of Uncle Billshut's impassioned observation article from yesterday:

12/19/2012 7:51:33 PM

Timestamp the most recent cancellation announcement article from today:

12/20/2012 6:33:04 PM
A total of 625 games have been cancelled because of the current lockout, which represents 50.8 per cent of the season.

One step closer to "The Plan" coming to fruition.

Edited by cusimano_brothers

Timestamp of Uncle Billshut's impassioned observation article from yesterday:

Timestamp the most recent cancellation announcement article from today:

One step closer to the"The Plan" coming to fruition.

Oh yeah that's right because this whole thing is the boogie man Bettmans fault. Saint Fehr is getting ready to pass out presents this Christmas to all of the players and fans of the nhl. I forgot all about that.

Oh yeah that's right because this whole thing is the boogie man Bettmans fault. Saint Fehr is getting ready to pass out presents this Christmas to all of the players and fans of the nhl. I forgot all about that.

Are you arguing just to argue?

Are you arguing just to argue?

I could say the same about others on here after the 123 pages of Buttman did it and only Buttman but if I did I would be breaking the rules that the mods have said over and over, time and time again that some just don't seem to be able to follow.

No some can't see that it's simply not just Bettman that's doing this. He was hired by the owners and pretty much controlled by the owners to do what he is doing. Oh yeah even our own Mr I probably doesn't mind whats going on. Not sure why some have not really picked up on that all these years....I guess it's more fun to have 1 person to blame and come up with all those catchy names you have for him. While on the other side you have Fehr that some how is getting a pass by most on here like he is some kind of savior of hockey. I will say it again...I hate both sides....I hate that we don't have hockey....I hate that the owners and the nhlpa are a bunch of greedy SOB's and we fans are the ones getting the short end of the deal. I hate the fact that the lowest paid player in the NHL is making more money than most of us will even see in our lifetime or that anyone would ever need to live but they still want more and you still have fans that feel sorry that they aren't getting even more ...they are the ones that trained all their childhoods to play a sport...to be in the entertainment business so they should be the ones making more than the owners that have took all of the risk to put the players out on the ice. The whole thing is just crazy.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan